Which would be more "fun" in a GT...manual or Auto? - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005-2014 Mustangs
Reload this Page >

Which would be more "fun" in a GT...manual or Auto?

Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Which would be more "fun" in a GT...manual or Auto?

Old 05-29-2005, 10:47 AM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone here "wasted" a GT on an Auto tranny???

I felt I would be unhappy with the auto when I got it because there was no selection of GT'S so I got the only one on the lot after going to about 5 dealerships.As for being disappointed the grin has not left my face yet and got it 3 months ago.Just had a SCT tuner put on and CAI the trans now has no lag when you punch it.So if you think us auto guys gave up something you really need to drive one and if you know where a GT is on a lot it won't be there long don't wait you will find yourself not being able to find one.Also good luck if you plan to order one read all the posts of people orders being dropped till 06 comes in.

[sm=gears.gif]
Old 05-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Horst

Default Manual for Us

My wife and I tried to drive an auto transmission GT on a rough road with lots of turns. The transmission kept shifting at the wrong time. Now all four of our vehicles are have manual transmissions. Two great convertables to go with our GT and one useless SUV.

Old 05-29-2005, 01:29 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: macca

The only other thing that influances my decision was some research I did on the auto not being able to take as much power as the manual. This is a big deal to me as I plan on installing the supercharger. Any comments on that...anyone?
From what I have read (and I'm no expert), the weak link in the car regarding power adders are the engine internals, followed by the tranny. Thus, if the engine can handle it, the tranny should be fine. I'm not expecting to go over 450rwhp, so I'm not concerned about the engine or the trans.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Fat Nick
I ♥ Acer

Hate to tell you but I seem to see better times on the 05's w/auto than with 5spds. Really the auto isn't that bad, although I prefer the hard shifts you get out of the good ol 4r70w.
Old 05-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fat Nick

Hate to tell you but I seem to see better times on the 05's w/auto than with 5spds. Really the auto isn't that bad, although I prefer the hard shifts you get out of the good ol 4r70w.
Bone stock they don't get better times. Somone on this forum got 13.6 or something like that with a bone stock 5 speed. Please don't make things up. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2005, 07:06 PM
jagbits
2nd Gear Member

I refused to buy a GT without the 5 speed, I paid to have my car shipped to Michigan from Maine just so I can get exactly what I wanted, Satin Silver 5 speed, the local dealer had the exact same car in an auto and I drove it around the block and knew for sure I wanted the 5 speed. Just my opinion.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:36 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

agreed.. no matter what you dont need settle with anything less... there is nothing wrong with speed shifting from 1st to 2nd and hard breaking in traffic.. pluse theres no better feel then having your **** in your hand while other cars are around
Old 05-29-2005, 09:56 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 281GT

I'm not really a big fan of auto's. I ordered the 5 speed manual. However the 5 speed auto in the 05 is the niceest I've seen. The one I took for a test drive worked really well. WIde open throttle upshifts were at exactly 6000 rpm and there was no lag at all when you stood on the gas. The torque convertor stalls at 2550 rpm which is enough to get a very good luanch. The shifts could have been a little firmer for my tastes, but overall Ford did an excelent job with the auto in the 05 GT.
At last a totaly unbiased opinion. Dood where were you when everybody was bashing the Auto. I tried to tell them it was not the same transmission in the 04 and below. Thanks for being honest.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:07 AM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

My auto is so slow.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Whammer

Well I think I can add something to this thread.

I'm 46 and have never really driven a manual transmission car. I ordered a GT auto several months ago but the dealer informed me 2 weeks ago that Ford would not be able to fill my order.
I called around to other dealers and one had exactly what I wanted only with a 5 speed. I explained to the GM I had never driven one but would like to try. We went out for several lengthy road tests/lessons over several days and the 5 speed was a blast to drive. I then re-test drove an auto to compare. There really was no comparison. The auto just didn't have the same torque nor did it have the same sound. There is something about 2nd and 3rd gears that that make the 5 speed so much fun to drive.
This new dealer told me he could get me an auto just like I originally ordered, and I was torn. I wasn't totally comfortable with the 5 speed and the auto certainly is much easier to drive. But I really felt the car should have a 5 speed.
I've now owned the car for a week and driving a 5 speed is almost second nature.

I can understand someone who deals with bumper-to-bumper traffic wanting an auto- however who wants to drive a 300HP car in bumper-to-bumper traffic? What's the point?

I'm glad conditions beyond my control steered me towards the 5 speed.