Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which would be more "fun" in a GT...manual or Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 05:19 PM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone here "wasted" a GT on an Auto tranny???

ORIGINAL: macca

This is not meant to be a slag at autos and no offence intended towards anyone with autos buutttt....I have a hard time equating FUN with driving an auto
I couldnt disagree more - fun to me isnt shifting gears every few seconds in commuter traffic!!!
Old 05-30-2005, 09:20 PM
macca
1st Gear Member

Good post Whammer. That is my point exactly. Anyone who thinks they will have the same driving experience from an auto vs a manual is dreaming. And definitely dont get caught up in the 1/4mile times "red herring". The point is, 300HP and above is begging to be "driven" by a human not an "auto". No dis to you auto guys though.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:36 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Anyone who thinks they will have the same driving experience from an auto vs a manual is dreaming.
I agree, they are different... as are people's lifestyles and definitions of "fun". For me, the auto is a much more enjoyable overall driving experience than the manual could ever be.

And definitely dont get caught up in the 1/4mile times "red herring".
Not even sure what that means... but for me, it is ALL about the quarter-mile. My goal in the next couple months is a daily-driven, very-streetable, 11-sec ride in the best looking car to come out of Detriot in 35 years.

If you are lucky macca, you might actually have a car in the next few months. Sucks for you, huh?
Old 05-30-2005, 10:30 PM
RICVA05
3rd Gear Member

If you are lucky macca, you might actually have a car in the next few months. Sucks for you, huh?

[/quote]

Oh that was low [sm=laughat.gif]
Old 05-30-2005, 11:08 PM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RICVA05

I felt I would be unhappy with the auto when I got it because there was no selection of GT'S so I got the only one on the lot after going to about 5 dealerships.As for being disappointed the grin has not left my face yet and got it 3 months ago.Just had a SCT tuner put on and CAI the trans now has no lag when you punch it.So if you think us auto guys gave up something you really need to drive one and if you know where a GT is on a lot it won't be there long don't wait you will find yourself not being able to find one.Also good luck if you plan to order one read all the posts of people orders being dropped till 06 comes in.

[sm=gears.gif]

Come to Long Island NY. Every dealer has tons of them.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:14 PM
tomabram
3rd Gear Member

DON_W

If its all about the 1/4 mile why would you get the slower auto? Makes no sense. And dont tell me the auto is as fast as the manual.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:20 PM
macca
1st Gear Member

Like I said, no disrespect to auto owners. One is good for stop and go traffic driving (I would have no other) and the other is good for those who like to drive with more "feel". My point about 1/4mile times is that for most people the few tenths of a sec difference between stock man vs auto GT's is a "red herring" in terms of deciding which one to buy. Hope that clarifies what I meant....probably not. Or are you saying you don't know what a "red herring" is?

Yes it does suck for me Don, thank you for rubbing my nose into it[:@] I am quite literally going mad over the wait.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:34 PM
macca
1st Gear Member

Maybe I am wrong but I thought auto transmissions have greater drive train loss than a manual trasmissions so that means LESS power and torque is applied to the rear wheels? On top of this, IMO I think it is far more "sporting" and fun in a racing situation to use ones own judgement to guage gear changes and engine rpms than to just plant my foot in WOT and leave the racing judgement to automation. Call me old fashioned..[sm=guilty.gif]
Old 05-31-2005, 03:15 AM
Stckman
2nd Gear Member

This is not meant to be a slag at autos and no offence intended towards anyone with autos buutttt....I have a hard time equating FUN with driving an auto
you guys with the manual trannies are the fools (Not meant to be a slam) youre not nascar racers NOR will you ever be... wtf Id rather be able to enjoy my ride comfortably cruising in even the roughest traffic without having to think about shifting... sure if youre ALONE on miles and miles of unihibited roads im SURE it makes more sense. but if you look out your window right now and see another house? you live in CIVILIZATION.

So really dont start off by saying shifting is the best and auto is boring. i mean it is fun... but SOOOOOO impractical. but after spending TENS OF THOUSANDS on this car. im NOT shifting myself.

manual trans has ACTUALLY been improved upon... embrace the future my friends.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:56 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

look macca... I'm done arguing with you. I bought an auto because I wanted it more than the manual.

You've been on this forum 3 days, and it seems like at least half of your posts so far have been derogatory against one group or another here. The vast majority of the posters here are here for a couple of reasons: they like the exchange of information, and they like to have a little chat fun. You, on the other hand, seem to be picking fights. Maybe you don't mean to, but sure it rubs me the wrong way.

Quick Reply: Which would be more "fun" in a GT...manual or Auto?