Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which would be more "fun" in a GT...manual or Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 01:13 AM
macca
1st Gear Member

Default Which would be more "fun" in a GT...manual or Auto?

This is not meant to be a slag at autos and no offence intended towards anyone with autos buutttt....I have a hard time equating FUN with driving an auto

When we went looking for our 05 stang my wife insisted we get a yellow convertible with an auto. Well thats the LAST time I take her with me lol.

So black it is with 5speed on the floor...greased lightning!!!! Well not really but hopefully a lot of fun . I have a 5spd man Alfa transaxle and boy oh boy that is a lot of fun to drive. Just cant bring myself to "waste" the GT on an auto...no matter how much pressure the wifey puts on me.

The bad news is that the wifey will not want to drive it very much she said. The good news is that the wifey will not want to drive it very much...
Old 05-29-2005, 01:23 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Anyone here "wasted" a GT on an Auto tranny???

Since mine is a daily driver in SoCal traffic, I got the 5sp auto tranny and I wouldn't want it any other way. In fact, I paid a grand extra to get it. It works pretty dam good as it is, but once the 4.10s are in, and the Predator does it's thing with the rev limiter and shift points, it will be awesome. Just try keeping up with me then! lol

BTW... I have over 2,000 miles on mine now... and the wife drove 3 of those miles. I like that ratio!
Old 05-29-2005, 01:31 AM
Casper98GT
I ♥ Acer

Im guessing you have never driven the new autos in the Mustang GT's. I dont like the new GT's or Autos... but i do enjoy driving the auto in the GT's. Its really nice tranny.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:34 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Oh chit... Casper [kinda] agreed with me on something!! Aaaahhhhhhhh. [sm=loser.gif]
Old 05-29-2005, 01:42 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I just took my GT out for a spin and can tell you that you're probably under 30, definately under 40 and positively don't have to deal with the traffic of a major urban area like don_w and I and many others who didn't like the idea of having to operate that heavier than normal clutch. The 5-speed automatic is one of the silkiest I've ever experienced and when driving the way I just did (average speed until I found a deserted strip of road, then punching it) it allows me to keep both hands on the steering. If you've made a left turn with it floored you'll know why it's better to have an auto! That rear end likes to come out. You wanna correct it with one hand?
The only downside is that I can downshift faster with manual from top gear to 2nd or 3rd when flooring it. There is a bit of a lag. I noticed that when I realized I had to beat the light at an intersection to avoid the stupid camera there! Long pause before it kicked down!

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/B0E66CFE0A4C485ABFEB980996C7B45F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-29-2005, 01:52 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I'm not really a big fan of auto's. I ordered the 5 speed manual. However the 5 speed auto in the 05 is the niceest I've seen. The one I took for a test drive worked really well. WIde open throttle upshifts were at exactly 6000 rpm and there was no lag at all when you stood on the gas. The torque convertor stalls at 2550 rpm which is enough to get a very good luanch. The shifts could have been a little firmer for my tastes, but overall Ford did an excelent job with the auto in the 05 GT.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:07 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

As far as I'm concerned, the only major downside to getting the automatic is that it comes with 3.31 rear gears, instead of the 3.55s in the stick cars. But, I'm planning on fixing that soon anyway.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:50 AM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240
I and many others who didn't like the idea of having to operate that heavier than normal clutch.
That's funny because the first thing I said when I got to test drive my car was, "damn this clutch is light". I guess I'm just used to my old BMW's racing clutch or something.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:27 AM
macca
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

I just took my GT out for a spin and can tell you that you're probably under 30, definately under 40 and positively don't have to deal with the traffic of a major urban area like don_w and I and many others who didn't like the idea of having to operate that heavier than normal clutch.
[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/B0E66CFE0A4C485ABFEB980996C7B45F.jpg[/IMG]
Well you got 1 out of three right...my office is only 1 mile from my house...gave up on commuting and making someone else rich a long time ago But you guys make some good points about the auto...now you have got me thinking again, damn don't do this to me.

Now, about the rear end sliding, I am used to that in my Alfa so that is not that much of a deal but you are right in that I only have driven the manual.

The only other thing that influances my decision was some research I did on the auto not being able to take as much power as the manual. This is a big deal to me as I plan on installing the supercharger. Any comments on that...anyone?
Old 05-29-2005, 06:44 AM
Scaught
2nd Gear Member

If I had to drive heavy traffic i would get the Auto. I live rural and an auto would be a sin out here. But when I was coming home from the dealership Friday with my car I did not get out of third gear for over an hour. Stop go, stop go, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd... It frikin drove me crazy. I couldn't live with a manual and drive every day in stop and go. I don't blame you.

On the flip, it is such a wild ride with the manual...I am loving every second I am in that car on the open road...

Quick Reply: Which would be more "fun" in a GT...manual or Auto?