Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Can the 2010 Mustang compete with the 2010 Camaro and Challenger?
Yes, the price makes up for the power difference.
30.59%
No. Its still going to be slower, model for model
57.06%
I dont care, its still better than no increase in power, and I want the 2010 Mustang.
12.35%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Dollar for Dollar, Can the 2010 Mustang compete?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:41 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
alright Dkirsten..
in the 25-35k range what GT competition is there? for 2005-2009 I think the mustang GT did very well at low cost high performance, 25,000 base price most of the new cars in that area are around 240hp, or the 350z which the GT outperformed in many areas.. for 2010+ its questionable with some of the new cars coming out though and the increased base price.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was talking about the 2010 models.. and in that price range the camaro will more than likely leave the mustang in the dust. Also there are a number of imports that can outperform the mustang in that price range, even if you add boost to the mustang. It isn't just about straight line accelleration..

GT500= 41k base, corvette = 50k base.. $9,000 is a pretty big difference thats like comparing a 32k base (the new camaro LS3) to the GT500.. I think the few cars in that price range might be an SRT8 challenger, a subaru STI (36k base), (evo at 34k) and some luxury/performance cars.. I think unless you step up to the 50,000 price point you can't beat the GT500 for performance/$$..

edit: woops just checked KBB i guess they upped the MSRP on the GT500 to 44.4k which does get it closer to being compeition with the corvette.. I would have a tough time choosing If I could afford either.. and does make the SRT8 Challenger quite a bit cheaper at 40k..
If you go to a dealer and negotiate, you will get a z51 vette for about the same price as a gt500. Of course if money is the concern, you buy used.. a used gt500 will still cost you around 40k in most cases, and my brother bought his used 07 z51 with less than 10k miles for $39k. That z51 will beat the gt500 in every performance regard, given a good driver in both cars (with good strip tires the gt500 might beat it in the 1/4, but not on street tires).

I think for 2010 there is still too much speculation on performance without solid numbers to say one way or the other for sure.. especially as companies try to become profitable in the next year features/options could be cut and prices could go up.
The whole point of this thread is speculation on the 2010 models. Given what we know now, the mustang will be underpowered compared to the competitors they are up against.

The other problem you have Dkirsten is reading too many mags.. the GT500 beat the SRT8 in all performance catagories but they still gave the win to the challenger.. the 4.6L is capable of 400bhp output n/a with an extra valve and greater compresion.. but then we wouldn't be able to supercharger and hit our 500bhp point.. on stock internals..

F/I fewer cyl. cars actually don't always get better MPG take a look at the STI close to GT performance and sti MPG 17/23 vs GT Mpg 15/23 according to kbb (something weird there.. I usually get 17mpg in city) oh well.. but close mpg rating.
Funny thing about magazine articles is it is always the authors opinion in the end. I don't read a lot of magazines, but there happens to be a couple months worth of a few in the bathroom here at work, and a few articles are quoted here at the mustang forums. I did notice a general trend that said the mustang was fun to drive but a dog on the track. While I may not agree with the authors on those articles, far more people read those articles than read these forums, and many people take those magazines as gospel when it comes to choosing a car.

In general, small f/i engines can get better fuel mileage horsepower for horsepower than larger displacement engines, which is why large v8's will be phased out after 2012. The exception is not the rule.

as far as xxxx car can beat it at the this track.. where are people getting track times from? People keep talking about the S2000 being a track master beating everything else even much more expensive but I haven't seen any times from tracks that show that.. People assume they suck at tracks but they seem to win autocross and drift competitions frequently enough.. even the stock handling isn't bad.. and when they first tested the 2005s they were talking about how great the suspension was and how it was similiar to BMWs (or the same).. I'll say No thanks to the IRS.. there are no tracks to take the car to where I live other than 1/4 miles.. and street races are pretty much always just straight line acceleration.. so what do you need porsche-like handling for? If you want to build up the suspension to handle some corner carving i know you can make it have awesome handling.. it's up to you if you want to do that though, i don't plan on it.
On the 1/4 mile track, the mustang tends to be competitive, but on other tracks, it handles like a 20 year old car. I don't run my car on either, so I cannot speak from experience, but the performance standards that reviewers use come from experience on the track(s), and if there is one thing those guys do know, its test driving cars on a track.

I am the one that tends to question those magazine opinions, but once again, I am not the one that people listen to when making a purchase. As has been stated in this thread, the mustang is a popular car for women. It is not, however, the number one choice amongst the performance crowd. I bought mine as much for looks as for performance, and I knew that I could not perform against a real performance car, at least without some modifications. But if Ford wants to stay competetive in the PERFORMANCE market, dollar for dollar, they need a 400hp solution that bases at $35k. I doubt it will happen though.. the mustang started as a "secretary car" and following the retro theme, it looks like it has come full circle.

My opinion stands: The 2010 mustang falls short of what I was hoping for from Ford, and dollar for dollar I don't think it has what it takes to compete with the offerings from Dodge and Chevy.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 AM
doug4321

another ignorant a--hole ragging on the V6 Mustang.I have an 08 4.0 with pony package and it's fast enough and looks great.Grow-up!.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:06 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
The mustang is a car that crosses all lines/generations/nationalities and is HUGE with females and the everyday guy. You can't design a car that please all these people. Ford has done a great job at doing just that.

I get thumbs up regularly from the 70 year old guy at the gas station to 10 year old kids riding in the back of their mothers minivans.

NO other car commands that.. cept' maybe a corvette . And your average guy can't afford one of those. People like cars that are american ICONS and affordable so when they turn 15 years old they can actually AFFORD one. Ford Mustang fills that requirement, always has and always will.
I agree with you that the style of the mustang is what sells it. This is why I bought my car, and I enjoy the reactions from people when they see me in it. BUT as a performance car Ford could do better, and should.

(I hope 15 year olds aren't buying new mustangs, but that is another subject)

I also disagree that the 4.6 is capable of churning out the same power as the larger displacement offerings from chevy and dodge (naturally aspirated). Given the same technology, displacement = power. All automakers are worried about liability lawsuits, and because of that, they need to make an engine that will last to over 100k miles reliably. You cannot make a 400 hp n/a 4.6 engine that will run for over 100k miles over tens of thousands of vehicles.. If you do, you will push the ability of that engine to the limit, and people will drop f/i on it and blow it up, and then you are back to liability issues. Do you really think that automakers have not looked into this? Just because a few enthusiasts put superchargers on their 4.6 and don't have problems doesn't mean that the engine is perfectly sound with a supercharger either. Why do you think that the gt500 has only 500 hp? Its perfectly capable of 700+ hp, but at 700hp something will break eventually, so they reserve the 700hp engine for the gt40.

I don't think Ford has a powertrain ready for a car that can deliver the power, aside from the supercharged engine in the gt500. And I suppose given that they would likely have to dump it in a couple years, I wouldn't expect them to develop one now. Yes they have engines capable of the power, but to match it to a drive train, tune it for performance, and engineer it for the mustang takes time and money, and I think Ford was banking on Chevy and Dodge NOT doing that in their 2010 offerings given that those options will have to be removed in a few years. That is just conjecture on my part though.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I am reserving judgement until the camaro is actually out but I do agree that if the SS ends up being available @ MSRP within a year of intro then the Mustang will definitely not be very competitive pricewise at that point. It's a little lighter and maybe a wee bit cheaper but not anywhere near enough to make up for the 85+hp differential. We'll see when it comes out...

And you are right the 2009 WRX for instance is quite the machine for the $$$. Practically neck and neck with a GT in the 1/4 and beats it pretty handily off the line. And in a road course it would probably have the win there too. All for essentially the same price.

I like the Mustang a lot but they really need to do something about this situation.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Can anybody tell me how much insurance runs on a GT500 or new vette? I pay ~$110/mo. insurance ($296/mo. car note) for my stang and about the same on the 01' Z28 I used to have.

I would have looked into vette's and higer end specialty cars but figured I would get raped on insurance...

In response to the OP, if Ford would have used forged rods and pistons in the baseline 4.6, it WOULD be capable of a reliable 500+whp.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 12-01-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:05 AM
genesis
Former Sponsor

haha ya how tough is a smiling car
Old 02-04-2009, 08:03 AM
cleatus

One thing I have thought about. The base v6 camaro has 300hp. What would the insurance be on this car in camparison to a v6 mustang. These cars are generally set to be entry level or a more economical version. A higher insurance rate could also slow down sales. In the end that is what it is all about to Ford. The challenger has been out a short while, yet I have seen very few on the road.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:25 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Default 2011

Bottom line its better..not where we want it..but its a better car..

I guarantee..the 2011 will have a better motor with more HP..in all models ...

I am aiming for the 2011 Model for that reason...Ford is not stupid, they do everything in baby steps to keep things fresh..
Old 02-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by torch red
Bottom line its better..not where we want it..but its a better car..

I guarantee..the 2011 will have a better motor with more HP..in all models ...

I am aiming for the 2011 Model for that reason...Ford is not stupid, they do everything in baby steps to keep things fresh..
Its sad ford is naively leaving the 2010 model year to Chevy or Dodge to win.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

"leaving" it to chevy/dodge? lol. there are more than enough modified S197's to keep the chevy/dodges in check. and why not wait-see if chevy's new "heavy" is all that anyway??

Quick Reply: Dollar for Dollar, Can the 2010 Mustang compete?