Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Can the 2010 Mustang compete with the 2010 Camaro and Challenger?
Yes, the price makes up for the power difference.
30.59%
No. Its still going to be slower, model for model
57.06%
I dont care, its still better than no increase in power, and I want the 2010 Mustang.
12.35%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Dollar for Dollar, Can the 2010 Mustang compete?

Old 11-21-2008, 06:40 PM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
400hp was seriously wishful thinking. 335-350 was more "reasonable".

Is this the lowest gain in hp for the mustang ever from one body style or refresh to the next?
+1 - I think they could have re-tuned the current 3V and got another 35 hp out of it quite easily... 315 is timid. either way, there are a lot of nice improvements on this car >> i pasted this from my other post:

VERY NICE! I like the design cues much better. Actually, it seems that they integrated a lot of changes into the car that we commonly make on this forum. I suspect that FORD is watching us!!

common changes we make that are now included:

- ducktail like spoiler
- mirror covers
- 19" rims on the GT (larger rims)
- more exaggerated hood
- more aggressive lines (usually done via body kit) on sides
- front leaning design - similar to Cervini kit
- antenna removed from back / shorter antenna placed in rear
- refined cockpit, with softer materials (looks more upscale)
- led sequential taillights!!

refined benefits:

- increased power to weight ratio
- re-tuned suspension, although rear is still not independent
- three mode traction control: on, off, sport mode
- is 350+ pounds less than Cameo / 500+ to Challenger
- capless fuel filler (and they fixed the gas shut-off problem a lot of us had)

where it lacks:

- engine (we all know this) / hp rating @ 315
- only mods were intake and exhaust to get this rating
- suspension. i am not a drag racer so I would like to see independent rear

I think all of the new benefits are great, and will buy this car at some point. Slap on a FRRP supercharger and there we go... I miss my 06' stang dearly!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:05 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

ugghhh! Yeah again the Mustang boasts a supercharger in the auto show to brag it too can make 400hp! SO WHAT! Why can't ford ever do that naturally aspirated in the same price range as the Camaro? I'm tired of the old...Mustangs need boost to hang with Camaro's! That's why I'm going the NA route with my 2v so I can take down a good portion of LSX's with a 281 2v!

Honestly I love my Mustang and will continue to mod it, but if I were in the market for a new car, no doubt I'd get more bang for my buck with the Camaro! It looks sweet, is fast, and outclasses all other cars in it's price range by leaps and bounds.

Some people are mentioning Ford can't afford to build new engines because of regulations? Why not put the 5.0 cammer engine in all it's GT's, and raise the price a few thousand. I'd be willing to pay a thousand or two over the Camaro to have a NATURALLY ASPIRATED Mustang with 400hp! Plus IT'S ALREADY A PRODUCED ENGINE!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:14 PM
TheLowsters
1st Gear Member

I was on the ford racing website and they have a 4.6 L 3-valve crate motor that looks identical to the stock GT motor except it has blue valve covers. But the kicker is that it says it makes 350 hp. Why cant they throw that in the 2010? Here's the link.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/modul...ss/default.asp
Old 11-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Stealth
2nd Gear Member

I don't know what all the talk about the new camaro is for. The front ends looks like its smiling, not aggressive at all, looks like a hot wheels car to me. lol

Old 11-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Crazy Horse S197
1st Gear Member

I think Ford should have made a supercharged GT option from the factory, not a dealer installed item. They could have called it boss, mach 1, whatever, and priced it at about 31k like the Camaro. They already have the parts and skills to do this, there would have been no reenginering of anything. I think they really messed up not having more power from the factory. Yes you could probably put 3k worth of mods in the GT to make up the 60hp it would take to be even with the Camaro, but remember so could he. Who ever said that this car is only going to run 12.9 -13.1 is not thinking about how much wheel spin it has. Make no mistake that it will be a mid to high 12's car stock with traction. Then there is the Heads and cam cars, FI and everything. But honestly, it doesn't surprise me because the Mustang GT has always come second to the Camaro V8 in performance. Some how Ford knows what its doing, which is why the mustang has always outsold the Camaro. Ford could care less about what we gear heads want and are always looking to sell more cars no matter what. We will see how this one turns out in years to come.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:55 PM
GT2ENVY
2nd Gear Member

I understad that Ford doesnt give a **** about the performance aspect, but we do. Ford should consider its buyer (mustang gt enthusiast) more than it has in the past. I understand many are trying to be optimistic with the weight factor but its not that much heavier and those engines have way better numbers with same mods (especially with heads and cams). Also the fact that the mustang sales more, but last time i checked, i'm not getting any of the sales profit so why should i care about that. I care about how my car looks, but most importantly how it performs. Yea theirs alot of gts that go low 12s (even 11s N/A) but those lsx engines are far more capable. They will easily be hitting 11s with just a cam and with heads 10s for sure. UGH!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 10:36 PM
lemmer

well, they might have numbers on their side... but at the end of the day it's the driver that counts (and the community).
I've seen weak by hp numbers cars slapping hp giants around the course...

At the end of the day, my car looks better then comaro, probably sounds better, it has 142 or what was it colors for the dashboard and... it, not any other car, had been my dream car for longest time, and now it's mine... all mine.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by v6VenoM
Because of the weight the Camaro and Challenger SRT8 will run probably between 12.9-13.1. I did that with just a tune and CAI.
Yeah sure you did.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang_Danny
What would be the next complaint? "But the Corvette is faster...", "But people with Vipers will make fun of us". Come on..
Are you guys sniffing glue tonight or what? The Mustang has always competed with the likes of the Camaro and the Challenger. Vipers? Corvettes? Totally different marketplace. Noone would be complaining about a $30-35K car not beating a $50-85K car. Ridiculous.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

Originally Posted by Riptide
Are you guys sniffing glue tonight or what? The Mustang has always competed with the likes of the Camaro and the Challenger. Vipers? Corvettes? Totally different marketplace. Noone would be complaining about a $30-35K car not beating a $50-85K car. Ridiculous.
actually in the early 60's, before there were camaros, mustang and corvette competed for a few years for the title of "the definitive American Sportscar"

of course, corvette won in performance, but mustang sold more

ask anyone who lived in that era

Last edited by Joolander; 11-21-2008 at 11:33 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dollar for Dollar, Can the 2010 Mustang compete?