Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my Hurst shifter, any install tips?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:41 PM
GTItoGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Just got my Hurst shifter, any install tips?

Well I read alot of threads regarding the rattle issues of this short shifter. I decided to get it anyway because I love the look and most owners seem happy with it.

Anyway, looks like quality out of the box, directions are straight forward. Any tips for the install? I was planning on using lock tite everywhere possible and mobil1 synthetic grease for lube. anything else I should know? also how long does it generally take?
Old 11-21-2008, 11:49 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

i've never installed one, but here's a link from the how-to section:

http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...ll-061016.html
Old 11-21-2008, 11:54 PM
HoorayBeer
2nd Gear Member

im waiting to install mine. its too cold outside.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:00 AM
HoorayBeer
2nd Gear Member

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...fter/index.php
Old 11-22-2008, 12:15 AM
paydirt
2nd Gear Member

I think the first tip I could give you would be to put it all back in the box and send it back haha. Maybe you'll have better luck than me but mine has rattled and squeaked for a long time now. I am most certainly going to be getting an MGW in the near future.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:19 AM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

I can't push myself to get an MGW b/c I think they are ugly as sin. I want a hurst but hear about all the issues with them. Looks like I'll keep the stocker for now.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:19 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i loved mine when i had it but i did have the socket ball /pivot ball rattle so i got rid of it just use loctice and you should be good and if you have no rattle you will be golden enjoy man if you need anythign let me know, which one did you get the billet
Old 11-22-2008, 12:23 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingsofcrunk
I can't push myself to get an MGW b/c I think they are ugly as sin. I want a hurst but hear about all the issues with them. Looks like I'll keep the stocker for now.
mgw is very nice they got a alot of differnt ball / handles you can use and its def worth the money i went from the billet hurst to my mgw and love it here is a pic of the ball handle i got i love it

Old 11-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

There's contradicting text in the install instructions for which direction the offset on the bottom of the shifter should face. I can't recall off the top of my head which section has it right, but when installed correctly the heads of the screws holding the shift handle together should face the passenger side.

One of the main rattle culprits is from the ball/socket tolerances. I think some of these came from the factory unlubricated, so there is metal on metal contact. I used a little Break-Free Lubricant/Preservative on mine and it took the vibration out 100%. You can probably find it in the firearms section of any sporting goods store. Just run a bead around the top of the joint, and it'll get itself down where it needs to go.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:28 AM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by merdix9
I think the first tip I could give you would be to put it all back in the box and send it back haha. Maybe you'll have better luck than me but mine has rattled and squeaked for a long time now. I am most certainly going to be getting an MGW in the near future.
I was going to bite my tongue but you got it out there lol. I love my pro 5.0 myself, but if it's look your worried about you can buy that handle at any auto store...

Quick Reply: Just got my Hurst shifter, any install tips?