Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have an idea for door speaker replacements...need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I posted questions a few weeks ago whether I should just yank the rear fill on caraudioforums and here in the electronics/sound section and everyone told me to keep the rear fill so I did! lol. My passengers (though very rarely when someone shoehorns back there) thank me.

I was ready to yank it out. The JL 12W7 just beats the hell out of it anyway . I'm going to need some deadener soon. The previous Kicker 10'' L7 had nothing on this thing!

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
That could work in a crunch. I usually shy away from any rear fill. Plus I love the extra bass I get with those deck holes open.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I posted questions a few weeks ago whether I should just yank the rear fill on caraudioforums and here in the electronics/sound section and everyone told me to keep the rear fill so I did! lol. My passengers (though very rarely when someone shoehorns back there) thank me.

I was ready to yank it out. The JL 12W7 just beats the hell out of it anyway . I'm going to need some deadener soon. The previous Kicker 10'' L7 had nothing on this thing!
I once had a 12" Brahma in a ported box in another car. It blew a hole in the rear 6x9's. They were paper, but that was still pretty crazy.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 11-24-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Yeah, that's kinda the way it feels lately. Fortunately I have a sub level control. I keep it at about 1/3 volume . Full volume and things start to make very violent noises back there w/ 600watts @2ohm going to that W7.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Yeah, that's kinda the way it feels lately. Fortunately I have a sub level control. I keep it at about 1/3 volume . Full volume and things start to make very violent noises back there w/ 600watts @2ohm going to that W7.
What kind of box you have. Is it ported? I just can't see it being any more violent than a 13AV.2 with 1200 watts I am running sealed though
Old 11-24-2008, 06:46 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I'm running a sealed box (custom sounds, TX design). They told me the 13'' pushed 90% more air than the 12''!!!!, but the 12'' is all I'll ever need.

The 13'' JL's are monsters. lol!

I just watched that ED video. good god, what is that? 3'' excursion!! I don't want to thread jack anymore though I think the original question has been answered. that ED sub is monster...

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 11-24-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I have trouble balancing bass and mid/high as it is. I don't like overbass but tight, clean bass with hi-quality mids and highs like the morels, boston's and a single 10'' would probably satisfy me. I don't need to bass everyone around me and the single 12'' JL is perfect.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I'll probably mature in a few years and become more SQ oriented. In high school I was straight up SPL, now I'm directly in the middle at SQL.

But back on topic. Anyone use anything else in the 8" location? I'm curious what results people have gotten.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I've had high-end systems since 1990 (Hi-fonics/kicker) so I'm definitely going for more SQ these days. lol. Sound Quality is where it's at...
Old 11-24-2008, 11:35 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Rubrignitz.....you wouldn't happen to have any photos of your system you could post. It sounds interesting and I can't visualize it. I am really curious how you mounted your tweeters to be hidden if there is a 6.5 in that grill.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:47 AM
gabb
1st Gear Member

I replaced the 8" with the pioneer shallow mount subs and I can't get them to sound right. Either I don't hear them or there is too much distortion and they make the doors rattle like crazy, and this is after dynamating the doors.

I'm thinking of changing the pioneers with kicker midbass but not sure if I want to spend the dough and have the same problem. I'm thinking because the pioneers are subs and not midbass speakers thats why they sound like crap.

Any ideas if the Kickers are any good or what I'm doing wrong with the pioneers??

I did replace the door speakers with Infinty 5020. I recommend these, they sound good, way better than stock.

Quick Reply: I have an idea for door speaker replacements...need opinions.