Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have an idea for door speaker replacements...need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:41 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
These are the 6.5'' components in my doors (I think they may be a bit less than 6.5 but real close) and you can see how they fit perfectly. This is all you will ever need for front-stage and the reason I specifically told them I did not want the shaker system when spec'ing the car at the dealer.

I've seen people place tweeters on the dash facing up to bounce off the glass but you don't really need anymore hi-freq's up front than the door mounts provide and can mess up the sound when placing the hi-frequecy drivers too far away from the mid's, IMO.
I like that. Thats exactly where I plan to mount my tweeters. Thank you for following through and posting the picture. Stuff like that makes forums valuable.

Everybody has a bunch of advice. I do like Irgnation's advice too. Getting a strong beefy 6.5 midbass speaker in addition to some 2 way components. 3 ways are a nice idea too but CDTs setups can run up anywhere from $800-$1500.

I am in the process of building 2 fiberglass enclosures for my trunk that tuck into the corners and still allow me to access the spare tire. These will both house a set of RF 10s. Just bought a house so I have to be reasonable.

Somebody mentioned the Focal V270 or something like that. I have found them online anywhere from $300-500.

Anybody know if these are worth it?
Old 11-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I really don't see anything wrong with mounting up another set of mid-bass in the lower (shaker) enclosures. Just make sure to cross them over a bit lower than the upper mids, and not too far up over where the upper speakers low-pass is set (I wouldn't let them see >250hz). You want your voices/hifreq's up higher closer to the ears. You can NEVER go wrong with Focal's. They are premium product, whatever line you go with.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 11-25-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Wow. I lot of audio gurus came by the, awesome advice here. When I'm no longer satisfied with my current setup, I'll have to look up those Morels.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:59 PM
gabb
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by lrgnation
Putting dedicated subs in the door panels/s197 door panels is ridiculous. Unless you pull the panel and fiberglass the entire inside of that enclosure so it won't flex and brace the panel and insulate the abs plastic from the metal door skin than it will never sound decent. It's never going to sound good because you should be placing your mids and highs in the door's. Bass belongs in the trunk or rear, it's non directional so it shouldn't clutter up your front stage.

Run a 6.5" mid bass speaker crossed at 80hz, and run your mid and tweeter setup in the 5x7/6x8 location. Depending on budget you can find good passive 3 way systems to place in the front. The only thing you will need is a mount for both locations. I templated my 8" location and had a 6061 aluminum adapter made. Factory grills and everything still in use. However my es-06+ cdt audio 6.5" have so much excursion they hit the grills.

Their are lots and lots of prefab sealed boxes for 10" and 12" subs available for our s197 trunk. They are not the best but will work good paired with a decent sub and a 500rms or so amp. Most people will not need more than that. I would recommend starting with a good 3way front setup, an amp to power that and making sure it puts out the recommended rms for the system and from their if you feel you don't have enough bass add in a amp and sub in the trunk. If you feel the rear sound is missing to you than add a coaxial rear fill that will match the front.
Thank you all for the help and advice. Guess I have to change out of the pioneers for some decent 6 1/2 " midbass speakers.