Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have an idea for door speaker replacements...need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:42 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

Default I have an idea for door speaker replacements...need opinions.

After 2.5 years my shaker system is starting to die and I want to replace the speakers and amp. I am no stranger to car-audio but then again I am NOT a pro. So I have two ideas I want to get peoples opinions on.

Idea 1:
Get TWO sets of component speakers for the front doors. One set of 5-1/4 components with tweeters for the 6x8 hole. ...and one 6 1/2 components with tweeters for 8 inch speaker location.

has anybody done this? Would having two sets of tweeters in the car make it sound messy?

Idea 2:
Get two sets of components like above but only use a tweeter from one set of components.
Does disconnecting a tweeter from the included crossover affect anything if just powering the woofer?

I can't find anywhere to just order the single woofer from a component sent. Everyone wants to sell me a 2-way or 3-way speaker. Any ideas??? I have two tens so I really don't want to put an 8 inch in the door again.

Any ideas or opinions you guys could throw out there would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:08 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Ok, to answer your questions. Yes, having 2 sets of tweeters on your door will not sound great. No, disconnecting a tweeter from the included crossover will not affect anything if just powering the woofer.

Now here is what I would suggest you do for your new speaker set up. Get your self a nice set of component speakers (tweeter & woofer with crossover) for the upper door speakers. Leave your lower door subs in place, trust me you will want the mid bass they provide. Amp wise you've got some options, you can run 2 amps or get a 4 channel amp and have it run it all. If you go with 2 amps put in a trunk mounted Sub woofer, run it on its own amp (bridged) run the rest of your system with the other amp (4 channel amp) run two channels full range and hook up your upper component speakers to them the crossovers will make sure they get what they need to sound good, bridged the other two channels and run a "mid bass" crossover to your lower door subs.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:18 AM
snicksrolos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Ok, to answer your questions. Yes, having 2 sets of tweeters on your door will not sound great. No, disconnecting a tweeter from the included crossover will not affect anything if just powering the woofer.

Now here is what I would suggest you do for your new speaker set up. Get your self a nice set of component speakers (tweeter & woofer with crossover) for the upper door speakers. Leave your lower door subs in place, trust me you will want the mid bass they provide. Amp wise you've got some options, you can run 2 amps or get a 4 channel amp and have it run it all. If you go with 2 amps put in a trunk mounted Sub woofer, run it on its own amp (bridged) run the rest of your system with the other amp (4 channel amp) run two channels full range and hook up your upper component speakers to them the crossovers will make sure they get what they need to sound good, bridged the other two channels and run a "mid bass" crossover to your lower door subs.

...yeah, what he said!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:47 AM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

[QUOTE=
Now here is what I would suggest..... Leave your lower door subs in place, trust me you will want the mid bass they provide. QUOTE]

Thanks for your response!

I've got the amp part taken care of.

Regarding your suggestion: I am concerned about the power handling abilities of the stock door subs. You don't think putting a good 6.5 would work better than a "stock" 8 inch ford speaker?

I have 2 RF 10"s in the trunk to handle the bass.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:42 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

If you already have subs ditch the 8" idea in general it's garbage. I run two 6.5" es-06+ cdt's. Their a 500$ retail per pair and they can run about 150rms to each. I used to run that but now i run 75 to each. I run a pair of es-02 tweeters at 75 watts each as well. That's all i run in my car and if i had the subs back i could cross the front back at 80hz and not play the bass and the system would be perfect. But what you should do is look into running an active 3 way set up or you can run a passive 3 way too. Run a set of 6.5" where the 8" are, run a set of 4" mids and 1" tweeters in the 5x7 location. With that combo i guarantee you will not be dissapointed, especially if you run a filler speaker in the back.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Trust me on this one, I have done it. Power the stock 8's with 160rms and they pound very nicely. I have them bandpassed between 80 - 400hz, roughly. Then I have some infinity 2 ways in the 6x8 location, also getting 160rms. Rear speakers deleted.

I've driven around like that with no subs before and it still sounds very decent. I just finished putting in a 13AV.2 in the trunk and now it just sounds sick.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 11-24-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf

Wow, that's EXACTLY what I've done and I love it. I did just a little be better though. My amp has a bandpass filter so I can choose the high and low cut off points for the midbass.

SAX 100.4 powering the midbass and components
JBL120.1 for sub duty

Last edited by Bmr4life; 11-24-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lrgnation
If you already have subs ditch the 8" idea in general it's garbage. I run two 6.5" es-06+ cdt's. Their a 500$ retail per pair and they can run about 150rms to each. I used to run that but now i run 75 to each. I run a pair of es-02 tweeters at 75 watts each as well. That's all i run in my car and if i had the subs back i could cross the front back at 80hz and not play the bass and the system would be perfect. But what you should do is look into running an active 3 way set up or you can run a passive 3 way too. Run a set of 6.5" where the 8" are, run a set of 4" mids and 1" tweeters in the 5x7 location. With that combo i guarantee you will not be dissapointed, especially if you run a filler speaker in the back.
The only way you can do without midbass is to spend $500 on those components. Not many people are willing to do that. Just stick with the stock 8's, that sound great with the right power and crossover points. They MUST be bandpassed though. To low and they distort, to high and they ruin the vocals.

Again. DO NOT DITCH THE 8'S!! I can't stress that enough. If you have a sub, especially one that pounds, your system will sound like crap. All high and lows with nothing in between. I hate hearing stereos that sound like that. Guys riding around with 4 sets of tweeters on the dash and 3 15s in the trunk, just pathetic.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 11-24-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:06 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Wow, that's EXACTLY what I've done and I love it. I did just a little be better though. My amp has a bandpass filter so I can choose the high and low cut off points for the midbass.

SAX 100.4 powering the midbass and components
JBL120.1 for sub duty
Yep it does! The reason why this setup sounds so good is that you have your full range of music covered. When you build a component system you have to cover the full range i.e. "Highs, Mid, Mid bass, and Sub" If your missing any of that your sound will sound like crap. Too many people over look the importance of good mid bass and just run Sub bass which just can't cut it. Mid bass it what makes a kick drum "kick" thats not what your subs are for like most people think. Subs are just for filling in the lower range and enhancing your mid bass. 8" Subs are great for mid bass, leave them inplace and get a good crossover in the range mentioned above and you will be very happy.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

What CutterWolf said, but I would try to find a mid-bass speaker to replace the door subs, they're pretty craptastic.

Quick Reply: I have an idea for door speaker replacements...need opinions.