Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Matte Black Exterior Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:48 PM
GTVapor
2nd Gear Member

Default Matte Black Exterior Accessories

I am thinking of installing a new matte black rear deck spoiler and hood scoop on my 08gt. I was wondering if anyone out there with matte black parts on their stang can comment on the difficulty or ease associated with the upkeep of these parts. I just do not want to install these parts on my car and have them look like crap in a year or so. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by GTVapor; 11-24-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:01 PM
08MachGT
2nd Gear Member

Default durability

as long as there is good surface prep and high quality paint used, there is no additional upkeep, actually less, because you wont have to wax.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:09 PM
GTVapor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08MachGT
as long as there is good surface prep and high quality paint used, there is no additional upkeep, actually less, because you wont have to wax.
I will be ordering the spoiler prepainted from roush so I guess it is safe to assume that the prep will be good and paint used will be of high quality. Atleast I hope so.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:26 PM
2005mach1
4th Gear Member

I went with gloss black now wish a had matte
Old 11-24-2008, 08:36 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

i have matte black stripes, the shaker scoop is more of a matte finish, i tinted the tails and kept them a matte like finish, saleen window louvers are matte as well. Dont use wax on them and you'll be fine. Just wash as normal

Old 11-24-2008, 08:44 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

i have matte black stripes and their a pain in *** to keep clean, you can't even touch wax on them or else they start shining. im removing them this summer and putting on gloss stripes, however i get soo many compliments on how good it looks.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:47 PM
GTVapor
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5SPD07GT
i have matte black stripes, the shaker scoop is more of a matte finish, i tinted the tails and kept them a matte like finish, saleen window louvers are matte as well. Dont use wax on them and you'll be fine. Just wash as normal

Thanks. You have one sweet looking stang there! I wish I could get the shaker but unfortunately I have the factory hood scoop on my 08. I am really diggin those matte black stripes and saleen window louvers as well. Nice choices.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:49 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

sorry Jersey but i am not sure how you can't keep them clean. Mine are super easy to clean, just dont wax them and they are fine. I use spray detailer and wash them like i do the rest of the car. I have had mine on for over a year and have never regretted it. So you're putting gloss black on your glossy black car? Thats going to be interesting, curious to see how that turns out. Please dont take that the wrong way, i just can't picture it. Good luck and be sure to post pics

Thanks GTVapor
Old 11-24-2008, 08:54 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Mines in the shop getting matte black superstripes installed as we speak.

I was thinking about getting a matte black spoiler but with the deal on the one I wanted it was cheaper to just get it painted the body color

I'm still planning on doing a matte black chin spoiler and some sort of matte black part of the rear bumper... maybe something similar to the GT/CS rocker panel....

Then there's the matte black gas cap and I should be matted out!

I have to say though its tough to find the parts you want in matte black finish, if you know a decent local body shop or can paint yourself I think you'll save a lot of hassle!!
Old 11-24-2008, 08:57 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

5SPD07GT your car is beautiful!

I love the way the matte black looks on your Alloy steed.

Quick Reply: Matte Black Exterior Accessories