Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

labor estimates on head and rod work

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:10 PM
glimmertwins

Default labor estimates on head and rod work

Gang,

I have much interest in my 05 mustang gt but very little actual mechanical skill. I think none would actually be more honest. I bought a pair of used Modular Mustang Racing ported heads from breenspeed and plan to install the heads with a stage 3 comp cam with the phaser mod. The heads aleady have Comp Cams 26113-24 high lift valve springs and 700-24 Comp Cam retainers instaled. Most of the power on this combination is going to be up pretty high in the RPM range. My understanding is that the stock rods are not forged and may not be happy at 7000 rpms. I guess the rods are the weakest part of the motor. I already have all the normal bolt-ons (long tube headers, steeda intake and underdrive pulleys, charge motion delete plates and a SCT flash tune). The car currently puts out 306 hp on a mustang dyno. My questions are as follows:

Do I need to replace the rods for this engine to be happy and safe at high revs?

If so, what model rods would you reccomend?

What would be a ball park fair estimate for the labor in installing the rods given that the stock heads and cams have to come off anyway?

And finally, any idea what a fair labor estimate would be for installing the new heads?

I would like to have some sense of this before contacting my local speed shops. Otherwise I could totally get taken. Any thoughts you have would be great, and remember, I love you guys.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:28 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Not too sure about the weight difference in the rods between forged and cast but I know that the rods in the car now are tiny. I figure at 7k you will have a problem with the balance being right and end up losing power but I could be wrong, who knows... I dont have a lot of experience with changing cams and stuff but I would say it sounds like a good mod.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:50 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

I think you'll be fine but i'm the kind of person that would rather overbuild than break. Prices vary a short block built will probably run you 3k including block work + the installation. Sounds like you've done your hw with your mods now though and it's great your planning on going with the cam phasers also.

Some big names in the mustang world are MMR and Livernois, and some bigger names in the aftermarket world in general like my Eagle kit and something like Scat would be something to look into.

Let me know if I can help anymore