Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JLT/91 Octane installed! Few questions.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:09 AM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Default JLT/91 Octane installed! Few questions.

Ok, so I get off work and my stuff is here! Got it all on and man I am so glad it finally came in. Anyways, few questions for those of you with this setup:

First, is it just me, or does the JLT intake seem kinda cheap? The heat shield is the biggest P.O.S. and I don't like how it can move side to side. I want to tighten it more, but I feel any tighter will crack it.

Second, did you guys have a hard time with fitment? After it was all said and done, it kinda felt forced (the intake). Also, the rubber elbow kinda has a slight bend in it, but I guess that's ok? Anyways, other than that, everything went fine. Roasted the tires a few times
Old 11-25-2008, 06:31 AM
MiikeC

My JLT fitment also isn't the best. My filter rubs on the hood insulation just a bit. I tried adjusting it several times and the best I can do is a slight rub. I think the plastic sheild should have been cut out for the filter a little more and it would have been a perfect fit.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:02 AM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

My JLT does not fit all that great either. They could have done a better job...but since my hood is always closed it does not bother me too much.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:03 AM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

^^Yea, kinda made me wish I'd gone with the Steeda, but just couldn't shell out the extra $100 for it. What about the rubber elbow? Do you have a indention with it? I'll take pics later of the whole setup just to make sure.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:44 AM
MiikeC

I did when I first put it on...I think the heat of the engine helped take that out and shape the angle of the elbow.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Yeah the JLT seems cheap. Look at it this way. I've had mine on for over six months now without any problems. But my friend who has a Steeda has had problems with his coming loose. Also seen threads here about the same problem.

It may be cheap but it works and holds together fine.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:46 AM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

I have no issues with the rubber elbow....just the cone rubbing against the hood liner. One of these days when I decide to dress up the engine bay I will just buy a new CAI...but that wont be for another year or so.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

My cone rubs the hood liner too. Also, the heat shield does not seal or even come close to touching the hood liner. Others have nice rubber stripping on the top edge of the heat shield to help seal againt the hood liner. I've also never had any problems with it coming loose.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:25 AM
fullboogie
2nd Gear Member

I've never understood why these are called "Cold" air inductions anyway. There's nothing cold about them since air is being pulled from under the hood. They're not like the CAI's on the Fox Mustangs that put the filter in the fenderwell.

Only thing I can guess is that the shields on these kits are meant to prevent fan wash, not to shield the filter from heat. Who knows...
Old 11-25-2008, 01:03 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Good to know guys. Thanks for the input.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: JLT/91 Octane installed! Few questions.