Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel hop?

Old 11-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

This I know. Last summer I had no issues that I could tell with the stock control arms installed. Everything else on the car was the same. And yeah its kind of like a shaking or vibration that you feel as the car gets up over 4K. It's possible that the cold air/pavement and the fact the tires might have a little extra pressure are helping to expose this problem.

I'm just not sure what to think about it. I am going to do a couple more test runs tonight and I have e-mailed brenspeed. A friend of mine did the install, he knows what he's doing, and I think it was done correctly. So this makes zero sense to me. If we can't fix it then I guess I'll have to pull the Steedas off the car and try to see what happens with the stock ones back on there. If that fixes it then I guess the Steedas for some reason don't like my car. And into the garbage can they go.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:53 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

dont give up on your lca yet. They may not completely solve wheel hop. the colder air means your amking a bit more power on a slipperier surface. Therefore increasing the chances of hop. LCA themself will not gaurentee the elimination of wheel hop but be the big factor. Yes it would be a good idea to change you tire pressure to 32lbs and recheck your TQ on the bolts and regrease ect. just wait untill good road conditions (track) before you make your conclusion. if the wheel hop is still there just get an upper to go with it and say good by to the hop!.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:13 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

If you're lowered at all you may need to get the Relocation Brackets
Old 11-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Well FWIW I did a few tests after work today and for whatever reason I couldn't recreate the problem. Once from a slow roll of about 5mph/1200RPM I stabbed it and another time at a 3K RPM roll. Both times no problem. Finally I launched the car from a dig, rev'd to 3K and slipped out the clutch without letting it get under 2K before it was out. WOT it still didn't do it.

I have no frickin idea why it was doing this last night but it was doing it almost every time.

I guess I'm not going to bother worrying about it then unless it keeps coming up and especially in warmer conditions. If there is a real wheel hop problem here it'll become more obvious when the car gets more mods installed over the next couple years. Should be easier to fix then you would hope.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:25 AM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

good plan, Just keep up your service and make sure its well greased
Old 11-27-2008, 11:09 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Did you reuse the Ford LCA hardware?
Has it loosened up and needs to be retorqued to specs?
Most of that hardware is one time use and should be replaced
not re-used.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I bought new hardware despite the fact I was told by multiple people it's a waste of money including the TacoBill writeup.

Everything was torqued in to spec barely two weeks ago. The install should be fine.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:13 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Originally Posted by 157db
Did you reuse the Ford LCA hardware?
Has it loosened up and needs to be retorqued to specs?
Most of that hardware is one time use and should be replaced
not re-used
or use blue Locktite on the threads of the original bolts. Yes, i know what Ford says, but in the real world I've had zero issues using Locktite with the original fasteners.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:26 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I have more power than you and more suspension work done though to and I can say i dont have any hop at all. I would agree those LCAs should be fine. i think its just a combination of the tires and cold weather honestly. The tires are much harder than if it was 80+ outside and that changes a lot.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Brenspeed basically told me to not bother doing anything. Putting the stock back on would be a mistake. Considering I couldn't seem to get the car to do this again when I tried last night I'm inclined to let it be.

Originally Posted by brenspeed
I wouldn't go back to the stock arms, the aftermarket units are much stronger and beneficial in the long run. It may simply be that you are not getting traction. The LCA's will not help much with traction but they help stabilize the rear axle. I'm sure the install is good but you also have the variable of the road surface and tire wear and pressure etc. At 4000 rpms in first gear your tires are screaming and if they are breaking loose you would definitely get the wheel bounce you are describing. Bret should be able to help explain this condition as well. Once the wheels start to bounce it is usually irrecoverable. I have also seen stock cars that have no wheel hop so it is kind of a toss up sometimes. What kind of power are you making?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel hop?