Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your C&L intake attach to the valve cover?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:23 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Default Does your C&L intake attach to the valve cover?

I bought a C&L Street CAI used. I don't have a bolt or nut to use right here. Don't have any instructions either. I'm afraid if I just put this under the valve cover bolt, the valve cover bold might not be long enough to hold down that part of the valve cover.

What should I do here?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:46 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Well #*($%^&.

Something else is wrong. Turns out you can't use stock screws for MAF sensor. If you do, they are too long and you'll break them off trying to tighten them down. So now I've got a stock MAF sensor screw broken off in the MAF sensor housing shown above.

$%$&$ $#@($#$%&$ @$#^T%@#&$

I put the stock stuff back together - one screw holding MAF sensor back on. Somehow, I've never done a mod that didn't go wrong in some way. Even the simplest things seem to go wrong for me. Its enough to wear on a man's confidence. Ugh.

Guess I'll contact C&L for some screws, whatever is suppose to attach this to the header cover - and hell why I'm at it a new MAF housing since the hole for the screw that's broken off is probably messed up. Might as well head to the Ford dealer for a new screw too.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:21 AM
plutnicki
2nd Gear Member

I have the same CAI. I did just back out the valve cover bolt a few turns and stuck the bracket under it and tightened back down. I doubt that you loose enough threads to make a difference, so I'm not especially worried about it. Lots of people don't even do that.

Sorry about what happened to your MAF screws... My instructions were pretty clear that you can't use the stock screws in the new intake, they supplied a different set of screws to use. Did you get yours used (I assume so because the bracket you show in that picture appears to be pre-modified to use with the stock valve cover bolt, a new kit comes with just a hole, and you have to cut it)?

Yeah, instructions would have helped you out here...
Old 11-27-2008, 10:32 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Yep, used. No screws came with it. GRRRRR

That bracket came to me as shown. Looks like a much better idea to back the valve cover bolt off and slide this under rather than to take it out. I hear it is pretty easy to cross-thread screws into our aluminum engine blocks & heads.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:42 AM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

They must have changed them. Mine didn't have the valve cover bracket. Also, the MAF used the stock screws if I recall correctly.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:47 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I don't suppose anybody here would know what size screws those are?

Heck, I may take the housing to Lowe's and look for a screw that fits, then test my luck at drilling out the screw that's broken off in there.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:04 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I used the stock screws in mine also when i had the street. it also came with the bracket although i didnt use it. I think the phased out the bracket and starting sending new screws in the newer kits.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:25 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Upon closer inspection, this housing is threaded for machine screws. The stock screws are those threaded-for-plastic star-headed things.

It was going OK thread-wise until the screw was just too long. I thought I was at the end and started to tighten and then BAM the screw head fell off. If it was just a tad shorter, it would have worked.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:09 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

I have a set of screws
Old 11-27-2008, 12:14 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

mine was also threaded for machine screws. go to home depot or lowes and look in the hardware section. they have big chests of bolts and screws. TAKE THE MAF HOUSING WITH YOU and find one that fits. and just a heads up, its probably metric sized.

Quick Reply: Does your C&L intake attach to the valve cover?