Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Springs - 2 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:18 AM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Lowering Springs - 2 questions

2 questions
1. So i talked to Brenspeed yesterday and they told me in order to get lowering springs i have to get caster camber plates ($300) or my upper strut mount WILL break soon after install of springs. Ive never heard of anything like that, and normally brenspeed isnt trying to drain my wallet, but it just didnt make sense. I went to ford and had them replace the upper struts already because of the TSB
2. I remember hearing something about when you get upper and lower control arms you need one or the other adjustable if you are to lower your car. I didnt know this at the time so i dont have adjustable, Can i not lower my car until i get that?
THANKS!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:28 AM
MTAS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05slpGT
2 questions
1. So i talked to Brenspeed yesterday and they told me in order to get lowering springs i have to get caster camber plates ($300) or my upper strut mount WILL break soon after install of springs. Ive never heard of anything like that, and normally brenspeed isnt trying to drain my wallet, but it just didnt make sense. I went to ford and had them replace the upper struts already because of the TSB
2. I remember hearing something about when you get upper and lower control arms you need one or the other adjustable if you are to lower your car. I didnt know this at the time so i dont have adjustable, Can i not lower my car until i get that?
THANKS!
1. False - your upper strut mounts will not break from installing lowering springs. I've had Eibach Pro's on my car for 3 1/2 years with the stock mounts and the only thing I've added was camber bolts to correct the alignment.
2. You'll only need adjustable control arms if you need to adjust the pinion angle of the drive shaft. You may however need LCA relocation brackets to compensate for the angle of the LCA once the springs are installed.
3. Both of the above answers are null and void if you race the car on a regular basis, go for the heavy duty stuff if that's the case.

Anyone care to back me up or disagree? Fire away!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:52 AM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

LCA relocation brackets sound good to meee.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:10 AM
degeze
5th Gear Member

After lowering your car check your pinion angle and see if it needs to be changed, if so you will need either adjustable LCAs or adjustable UCA to correct it.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:12 AM
05slpGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by degeze
After lowering your car check your pinion angle and see if it needs to be changed, if so you will need either adjustable LCAs or adjustable UCA to correct it.
grr this sounds like a pain in the ***... i dont know how the hell to check the pinion angle, and im not taking it to a shop to do the spring install. My step dad can easily do it.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:20 AM
paydirt
2nd Gear Member

the search button helps alot. But I have had my prokit on for about 11,000 miles with zero problems. no camber plates, no ADJ panhard. just the springs. It rides a little bumpy but that nothing some D-specs can't fix.

hope that helps
Old 12-03-2008, 10:38 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

all i have is lowering springs, adj. panhard bar and panhard brace. car's been fine for 6 months. camber appears normal. wtf is the pinion angle and how do i check it?

the ride is smoother than before, the car handles like a dream, etc.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 AM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

i installed the prokit and didnt even need the camber bolts provided. took it to a shop and had it aligned right after install, didnt need the bolts, have had zero problems so far.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 AM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05slpGT
grr this sounds like a pain in the ***... i dont know how the hell to check the pinion angle
The pinion angle is the degree difference between the driveshaft and the pinion shaft on the differential.
It's simple to adjust...
LCA Suspension Modifications and Adjustments
Old 12-03-2008, 12:42 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by degeze
What happens if you don't adjust it? Am I going to break anything, just have to live with wheel hop, or what?

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs - 2 questions