Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla Stinger Drone Thread# 999 Billion and counting.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Shanec my drone is like that as well from idle to 2.1k then it comes alive and does what it does best =) Unlike other drone threads do you see me ripping them off and calling them crap? NO YOU DONT so knock off the mean comments. Just was asking a simple question I am defintely getting used to them less and less annoying everytime I drive I do love the sound I even love the sound of the drone but for some reason my ears just dont agree with me.. haha anyway Ill just drive until it's nothin thanks to all the people who gave me a real answer much appreciated.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:28 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Ok, lets talk about "what" is done because some people mite have the wrong idea of what they "think" is done. Done = "a harmonic or monophonic effect or accompaniment where a continuously sounded is sustained or repeated" In the case of the Borla stingers is "monophonic" although they do produce done at any RPM over idle it is very light and nothing more than any other high performance system. The true done effect produced by the Borla stinger is between 1800 to 2000 RPMs where a noticable loud monophonic continuous sound is heard.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Cutter Is the r on your keyboard broke =)Haha? I know what drone is but thanks for the explanation for those who might not know, just was wondering how to reduce it but anyway it's all good. I was actually just wondering how a CAI will affect the sound any more/less drone? I was reading that Borla make something you can put in the O/A pipe that will get rid of the drone but I only read about it for some trucks and some sedan it was called a veritul or somethin like that but they didn't say how it affected the overall sound... anyone know what I am talking about? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:20 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i think the drone comes from the mufflers mostly, you may be able to alter it but not get rid of it, i think even the stock mufflers had drone just not as bad or not as noticeable. but if you really cant stand it, then you should change the axlebacks. it's not a bad thing to realize that you dont like the exhaust you just put on, or would like it better, that's why i changed mine 5 times before finding the one that suited me. i think the question you got to ask yourself is do the good sounds out weigh the bad sounds, and can you live w/ the bad part, if not you must change it or you will live with that sound every time you drive it. i have friends w/ borla stingers and they sound very good, one of the best axlebacks that can be used w/ just about any exhaust setup, but sound is all subjuctive. so my advice is if you dont like it, change it.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

I love the sound I dont think there is a deeper exhaust out there is there? I don't want to get rid of them but being able to reduce the drone just a bit would be a nice perk if not its fine thats all this thread was about.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:31 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

you may be able to reduce them w/ resonators, but it will quiet them down too. i would just leave it how it is, maybe add an o/r midpipe and some LT's for more volume.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:39 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

I had mine put on 3 weeks ago..... I haven't had my car for 11 days due to stripe issues and it being stuck at the body shop (don't ask ) so if you do the maths (21 - 11 = 10) I had 10 days of driving around with the aggressive Stingers and I loved them....

I loved the noise they made when I started the car!
I loved the noise they made when I downshifted!
I loved the noise they made when I accelerated at low RPM!

In fact thinking about it I love them so much I might buy a spare set and cuddle them whilst I sleep at night.... but anyways back on topic the drone really isn't that bad when I hit WOT I don't really notice anything its just the 1K to 2K in low gears where there is some noise and a bit of vibration and if anything its the vibration that bothers me the most as my drivers side vent rattles like a ****!

I've my misses in the car and whilst she thinks they are noisy it doesn't bother her, I've started the car at 5am to go to work and it didn't wake her so I'm all good on that front.

I'm thinking about getting the FRPP or Borla X-pipes so I can keep the noise going in the higher RPMs so I really can't help you on reducing the noise.... I do remember that there was a guy on here who was moving to France and was looking at something to cut the db's down but I'm not sure if he had Stingers maybe if he's still around he can let us know if he found anything
Old 12-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Well i would love for the noise to keep going whenever I accelerate and all that and i love the sound maybe i need to explain this better... in the car I am fine sometimes it gets me nausea's but that's it. It's when i get out of the car and go back to wherever and still feel sick... maybe I am just sick and it's just coming at a bad time... haha
Old 12-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

^^^ Never heard of anybody getting sick from drone, lol.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:57 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

It might be the vibration rather than the drone.... as mine start to peak at around 2K the vibration gets a little crazy maybe its giving you motion sickness / nausea.....

Quick Reply: Borla Stinger Drone Thread# 999 Billion and counting.