Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory HID's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:07 PM
The Magician
2nd Gear Member

^^^^^ I concur. The OEM are just a waste of $$$. I have had HID both aftermarket and factory. I can tell you that if you do your homework, you can save yourself a ton of money, and be just as happy.

But it is your money, and if thats what you decide to do, more power to you.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:15 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

As long as you have that little black housing in your headlight set-up, you should be fine and have NO problems blinding others...It kinda looks like a black mushroom LOL I believe after the 06 Models, they stopped coming with'em so you should be fine. I too have had zero problems with people flashing their lights at me besides the tiny ricers when I'm passing them up LOL...You wont regret doing a conversion Vs. OEM..tons cheaper and a better result...
Old 12-05-2008, 04:18 PM
d_ames117
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texotic:

"I don't want a conversion. I want HID headlights. Like the ones that actually come with a housing to run HID bulbs on. I don't want to blind drivers by using HID bulbs in the stock housing.
There is nothing special in the OEM. The aftermarket work perfectly and are as good as my wife's OEM lights. Cutoff is perfectly horizontal.

I have not been flashed once..and did a few "drive bys" at the lights to test them out. They are factory as far as I am concerned."

Eh, sure this has been said before, but.....

The plug-and-play HID's are Illegal.
The OEM ones are Legal.

That's the difference (other than $$). Doesn't mean I don't want an aftermarket set though - the Ford OEM HID housings look terrible IMO. The Saleen ones look a little better and are cheaper, but still about 5 times the cost of plug and play HID's.

Texotic:

To answer your question, it is possible to convert to the OEM HID's. The entire housing must be changed.
Here's a link to the Saleen HID's.
http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services...0-1202-B11324*

Dustin

Last edited by d_ames117; 12-05-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I've seen the Saleen ones, I just thought maybe some place would have the OEM ones for sale. They're only like a $450 option, so I thought I could get them close to (or less than) that. If the Saleen is the cheapest housing replacement solution, I'll probably leave it stock or go with one of the conversion kits. Thanks for the comments guys, that Retro-Solutions kit looks really good.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:20 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

OEM...expensive, very expensive...

http://www.steeda.com/products/ford_...pgrade_kit.php

Last edited by TPony; 12-05-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:49 PM
The Magician
2nd Gear Member

aftermarket ones are not ILLEGAL. If you have them aimed properly, and have the diffuser (black mushroom thingy) over the tip of the bulb/lamp, you completely fine.

I have 6000k in my foglights, without the diffuser, but since the fogs reflector is not as concentrated into a beam, as the headlights are there not a potent to on coming drivers.

But keep in mind, that each state is diffrent. Hell in some states you cant even have tinted tailights, or covers. I know of a few states where you cant have headlight tint/ covers either.....

Check with your local DMV.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:51 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I just wired my 55W low beams to stay on
when I turn on the 60W high beams.
What a big difference without spending a lot of coin.
Attached Thumbnails Factory HID's?-hid.jpg   Factory HID's?-hid_2_650.jpg  
Old 12-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
There is nothing special in the OEM. The aftermarket work perfectly and are as good as my wife's OEM lights. Cutoff is perfectly horizontal.

I have not been flashed once..and did a few "drive bys" at the lights to test them out. They are factory as far as I am concerned.
Same here. Retro-Solutions rock, zero problems. As for OEM's costing 3 times as much, it's more than 3 times.

I have the black bulb shields on my '06 and have a perfect cutoff with no "flashes" from oncoming drivers in a year. If you don't have the shields, just get the coating option, does the same thing. I like my HID's better than a lot of factory lights.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:53 PM
DJStile
2nd Gear Member

aftermarket ones are not ILLEGAL. If you have them aimed properly, and have the diffuser (black mushroom thingy) over the tip of the bulb/lamp, you completely fine.
I'm not sure what state you live in, but here in NJ, the aftermarket HID bulbs in the stock housing IS illegal. I believe the statute is 39:3-47 Improper lighting equipment; altering equipment. Granted this is only a $47 ticket and you'll probably never get it, it is illegal.The halogen housings are made and approved to be used with halogen bulbs only because the HID bulbs shine too "high." Yes, you can aim them lower to avoid blinding oncoming drivers, but the fact of the matter is they are illegal here and most likely in many other states as well.

The factory housings on the other hand is legal because the entire housing (HID bulbs included) is DOT approved.

For the record, I did have Stangmods HID headlights and fog lights for a while, ended up taking them off due to constant problems with them, but they do look cool, lol.

Last edited by DJStile; 12-06-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:17 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Though I agree with you DJ I would get the retro solutions bi-xenon's and plug and play. Just take the time to make sure they are aimed and the horizontal cut off is spot on. JMO