Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Green Mustang Idea

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Boy

and orion are you really comparing the mustang for a focus cause that is a disgrace in itself
Reread the original post.

He is asking for mpg performance that will only be available in a smaller car. The physical size of the Mustang will never allow great mpg.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:44 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
LOL...F**K that!

Now having no road noise would be fine, but you gotta hear the engine with a muscle car (or any other sports car for that matter).
I am glad to see you off of the Corsa's. How do you like your boomtubes?
Old 12-08-2008, 09:09 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Make a mustang with a turbo 4 cylinder with <200hp, lighten the car up some more, make it make 30+mpg, even make it a flexfuel motor, and make it cost around $16-18K so everyone can afford it, and maybe give it a couple special 'green' colors only for that model

now what are all of your opinions on my idea
Ford could take the current 4.6 and redesign it with direct injection and obtain greater fuel efficiency (it would also make more power). Check out what Cadillac did with their 3.6 litre V6 direct injection engine in a 3900 lb CTS car - 304 hp, 273 tq, 17 mpg city, 26 mpg hwy.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Cuzzo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by abarker8541
mustang = V8. did you really buy the damn thing for mpg?
Have to agree
Old 12-08-2008, 11:36 AM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Agreed,,If u want a 4 banger buy a Focus..

really hope Ford drops in a real motor in the GT for 2011
Old 12-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I have this great idea and i just wanted to know how crazy it was

Make a mustang with a turbo 4 cylinder with <200hp, lighten the car up some more,
You realize that in today's frame of reference that you've just called out a basic design spec for a 21st century Pinto. Do it - and give it some other horse-related name that indicates "little horse" that avoids the Pinto's bad press - and you might have something.

But less than 200 HP will dilute the Mustang image too far and toss it into competition with cars that most people would not normally consider cross-shopping to (IOW, 4-cyl Japanese and Korean imports, 2.4L and smaller). I realize that a turbo motor is more widely acceptable today than back in the SVO's day, but when you say "smaller" I get bad visions of Mustang II's and Probes. Not that those were necessarily bad cars, just too far away from what a Mustang has always been.

225 HP and 3200 lbs would put it right where my wife's DD 2001 Maxima lives. Not a bad place, but anything that wants to call itself a Mustang should have at least that level of performance.

make it make 30+mpg, even make it a flexfuel motor, and make it cost around $16-18K so everyone can afford it,
High-tech costs $. What cars are currently offered at prices in that range, and what sort of engine technologies do they use?

and maybe give it a couple special 'green' colors only for that model
I don't think that special colors other than those associated with high performance have historically played very well. IMO, they grossly overestimate the volume of buyers willing to be that obviously different when it finally comes down to putting money where mouth is. A little research involving the "Playboy bunny" early Mustangs and the more recent "Warriors in Pink" campaigns is a starting point.

this would undercut the price of the challenger and camaro and give everyone who wants a mustang but also wants good gas mileage a chance to own one especially with the price being in the teens and all of those who are worried about gas mileage a good option for owning a sporty car
What would help the most might be to develop a small V6 with corporate-wide application. Nissan reaped huge benefits from their VQ engine series and did precisely that. There isn't much of anything that's really new, so if you're going to copy something, at least be bright enough to copy a successful 'something'.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-08-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:00 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by abarker8541
mustang = V8. did you really buy the damn thing for mpg?
More non V8 Mustangs on the road then V8.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:55 PM
aynjell
3rd Gear Member

I have this great idea and i just wanted to know how crazy it was

Make a mustang with a turbo 4 cylinder with <200hp, lighten the car up some more, make it make 30+mpg, even make it a flexfuel motor, and make it cost around $16-18K so everyone can afford it, and maybe give it a couple special 'green' colors only for that model

Everyone already can afford one. They are the most cost effective vehicle on the market for performance driving. Oh, and if I recall they are also the most popular car ever (not trying to overstate it). Also, it's the only road you cannot NOT SEE on the road at any given time (the rule of mustang is at any given time, a 360 degree rotation of your field of view will reveal at least one mustang).