Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SHR Louver Install....56K = DEATH

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:00 PM
JimC

Looks great Mike, if I had a coupe this is the window louver I'd go with as well.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:55 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zporta
how do u think these things would look if someone molded it in?
You mean fill in the gap around the louvers? The lovers don't completely match the contour of the car in my opinion. The center section bows out. The front and rear ends of the louver are slightly more recessed than the middle section.

So I think trying to fill that cap like its all one part with the pillar would look like crap.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Bigcha40
2nd Gear Member

excellent write up, now im not scared to try and tackle this by myself
Old 12-08-2008, 04:39 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bigcha40
excellent write up, now im not scared to try and tackle this by myself
And this is why it is worthwhile to spend the time and effort to do how to write ups.....Excellent.....

Thanks everyone for the very kind words. Appreciate it...

Mike and Karen
Old 12-08-2008, 05:05 PM
ErcWrestlr
2nd Gear Member

Great job with the write-up. Louvers look great too! Perfect for your car.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:11 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

mike, I need to get mine painted by a good shop. Did you buy it painted or had it done out here. Next and most important ?, how do you know how much adhesive to put so that it wont run and just looking at my louvers, it doesnt look like it will sit flush, rather it will sit a little lower than flush, kind of tucked in. Was that remedied by the amount of adhesive?

If you are free one of these days soon and are in the holiday spirit, would you mind me coming down and helping me with the install? I could come with the rear already dismantled so your time would not be wasted. Just a thought

Great job by the way. Looks fantastic.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:44 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

looks awesome Mike. Great write up too.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:27 PM
washamur
3rd Gear Member

Fantastic write up ... I'll be following it to the "T" soon ... these are the ONLY louvers I will end up owning.

Love the way they look on your car to ...
Old 12-08-2008, 07:39 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Mike is my hero
Old 12-08-2008, 09:11 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
mike, I need to get mine painted by a good shop. Did you buy it painted or had it done out here. Next and most important ?, how do you know how much adhesive to put so that it wont run and just looking at my louvers, it doesnt look like it will sit flush, rather it will sit a little lower than flush, kind of tucked in. Was that remedied by the amount of adhesive?

If you are free one of these days soon and are in the holiday spirit, would you mind me coming down and helping me with the install? I could come with the rear already dismantled so your time would not be wasted. Just a thought

Great job by the way. Looks fantastic.
Yeah, I bought the louvers pre-painted. They did a fantastic job on the color match. The amount of adhesive is the great unknown, when you do the first louver. I applied for the first louver, started to set the louver, and it was fairly obvious right away that I did not have enough adhesive on. So I pulled the louver back off, and added more adhesive on top of the original bead. Believe me, with this adhesive, it is so thick you can bead it fairly high.
On the second louver, I applied enough adhesive to what I thought was match the total of the first side, but it actually ended up being too much. You can actually see some of the adhesive in the bottom groove in the pics on the passenger side. I figured I would rather deal with that after the fact, then the louver sitting too deep.
I was also going for a dead level install, but, you will find when you fit the louver with adhesive, it actually sits better if the louver is just a hair recessed. That said, if you can shim the louver from the bottom as I did, then hold the louver out to the level position with tape or such, the adhesive dries like concrete. They will not go anywhere.
Just let me know when you get ready to install. I'd be more than happy to help.

Mike

Quick Reply: SHR Louver Install....56K = DEATH