Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE LOCAL SHOP FOR OIL CHANGES?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:29 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I do mine in the garage and its heated when i need it to be. 32 degrees right now and changed the oil before storage when it was warmer....besides my car id too low to go to a quiklube!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:33 AM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

I would do it myself even if it cost more. I enjoy the bonding time with my car.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:37 AM
7STANG
99GTverts minion

raaaawwwwrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 12-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
$5? You guys must have a really cheap shop.
The dealer only charges about $5 over what I would pay to buy Mobil 1 and a MC filter from Wal-Mart. Sure they use MC synthetic blend but it's a good oil and IMO Mobil 1 is only marginally better.

I just started doing my own oil changes though. I like being responsible for it myself.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:58 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

while my car is under warranty i'm taking it to the dealership. my dealership has reasonable prices, free fountain drinks, popcorn, wireless internet and a movie room with a projection screen and theater seating! so, i WANT them to take their time!

not only that, but i bought it there, so when i have a problem they fix it and don't give me any grief. just got my fuel pump replaced under tsb 06-9-9 and all i had to do was tell them about it and no questions asked they did it!

now, once the warranty expires, i might start doing it myself.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

I change my own oil on all my vehicles. I do have a nice shop to work in though with heat when needed.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:06 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I just dont trust people working in my cars; most don't give a crap, so they attention to detail and quality is not there. When I do it, either I'll do it right or screw it up; but I know it's at least done completely!
How many times have you or someone you know had a oil change done at a place and either the oil filter or drain plug not put on tight enough, and it leaks?

PLUS, if you do it yourself, you also can checkout all other things under the car and spot leaks, worn out bushings, etc. that you wouldn't normally find out about until later (or too late). For example, spotting some antifreeze just as a water pump starts leaking and before it goes out. Or oil leaks, or whatever.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:10 AM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
I just dont trust people working in my cars; most don't give a crap, so they attention to detail and quality is not there. When I do it, either I'll do it right or screw it up; but I know it's at least done completely!
How many times have you or someone you know had a oil change done at a place and either the oil filter or drain plug not put on tight enough, and it leaks?

PLUS, if you do it yourself, you also can checkout all other things under the car and spot leaks, worn out bushings, etc. that you wouldn't normally find out about until later (or too late). For example, spotting some antifreeze just as a water pump starts leaking and before it goes out. Or oil leaks, or whatever.
+1
... and I can lay under my car on my creeper and take a nap, because no one bothers me while I'm working.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 AM
josmoe5000
1st Gear Member

I am doing my own for now on. I made a thread about it last week. Morons stripped by oil pan drain plug.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/off-...ange-when.html
Old 12-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have a garage so I do it myself, all 3 vehicles. And if I didn't have a garage, I'd still figure out where to do it myself in the dead of winter. I'LL be the only monkey doing oil changes on my Stang...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE LOCAL SHOP FOR OIL CHANGES?