Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Follow-up on the Hesitation on Heavy Acceleration Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default Follow-up on the Hesitation on Heavy Acceleration Issue

Ok, this has been debated quite a bit. You pounce on the accelerator and... nothing for a few seconds... maybe a SLOW wind-up. How embarassing.

I know the TSB is out there for the fuel pump and I've been hesitant to change it if it's really not broke. My personal experiences have been that I have not been able to reproduce the hesitation, especially after turning off TCS which has ALSO been deeply debated. Nobody seemed to be able to answer whether the TCS symbol by the tach lit up when this occured and to be honest, I had never noticed it... until this past weekend.

I was out cruising on Saturday and since I haven't driven her much (other than the 200 mile ride earlier in the day to where I was at the time) I decided to punch it when this one light turned green. Crap. Slow to rev... And TCS was on. This time I noticed the TCS symbol (the little car with the squigley lines) began flashing at the tach. After turning TCS off, the next 3 attempts left rubber.

I doubt this convinces some of you but I feel more confident that I DON'T need to have the fuel pump TSB performed.

Just a little fuel added to the fire...
Old 12-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

In my case the hesitation after a long highway cruise would occur even on gentle acceleration and w/TCS turned off. Cruise for 45 minutes and as I downshift slowing down after exiting the highway it stumbled. For a split second it was almost like the engine was literally shut off. I couldn't even hear it running. It happened very fast but was noticeable, especially to me (the driver).
Old 12-08-2008, 11:58 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I agree that the TSB doesnt apply to "stomping" on it after a long cruise per say. It will happen just with normal take off form what most people describe. Almost shutting the car down in some cases. While it might occur during hard acceleration too, its cetainly noticable in all take offs after the cruise.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:01 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

the drive by wire in these cars, and most new cars, sucks. why wont they just go back to the throttle cable. will make all of us on here very happy. the hesitation is the signal going to the computer telling it you just smashed on the gas and its time to go. i can only imagine how bad the throttle lag is in the auto. its bad at times in my 5-sp manual.
no cure for the hesitation either. not unless you tear out the drive by wire. which will be expensive.
does anyone know if the gt500's are also drive by wire?
Old 12-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

?

The hesitation some of us have had is due to the fuel pump. In situations where that is the culprit it's pretty obvious. Definitely not throttle lag.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Shoey, your throttle lag will most likely be resolved when you get your "coming soon" tune...
Old 12-08-2008, 12:10 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Shoey, your throttle lag will most likely be resolved when you get your "coming soon" tune...
lol. I know i know. ive been slacking bad. lol
just forgot how bad it was when the car was running the stock tune. have to get the damn tuner changed for my new engine code. and still debating if i want an email tune or if i want joe to dynotune the new one.
probably going to go with email tune from doug first then if i want to get it dynoed i will. have to try doug's tunes first. might just meet him one day in jasper and get him to get the tunes on my tuner.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

had it happen once i stomped it for ****s and giggles off the line in a back road and yea i see the rpms frozen and like the engine didnt respond for 2 seconds only happened once months ago then it never happened for a while =/

so idk guess the car was mad at me haha xD
Old 12-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Solitear
had it happen once i stomped it for ****s and giggles off the line in a back road and ...
"Once"??? How can you drive this car and only go WOT from a dig once??? LOL!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

umm i meant the problem occured once, had the fuel pump changed for the gt500's and set the stocky on fire infront the shop(Owner let me hehe)

never had a prob with the new 1 since

man if i cant go WOT more than once i be driving a diffrent car right now... lol

but yea as of now my cars in the shop due to a sensors failing left and right hopefully nothing major has happened.... hurts me being in class and my car at the shop once i get out i am finding out whats causing my car to have such a bad fail on wiring...