Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Suspension Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Default Mustang Suspension Questions....

So I have had my car for about 3 months now and I have learned quite a few things so far about some of the electronics and ton's about how exhaust works but what I am still having trouble really understanding is the suspension what makes the ride more smooth? What makes it bumpy? What makes the car really dig into a turn at high speeds? Any answers would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:21 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

i recommend new shocks..D-specs..there adjustable and work great
as well as lowing it with new springs..
wider tires will help as well

i also on my now sold GT added BMR LCA sway bay and panhard bar.. so it all depemds on how u crazy u want to get

But for now new shocks and springs is the way to go
Old 12-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah like my wish is a super smooth ride but i still wanna hug corners well and feel the speed... but i guess that's what adjustable ones are for =) how easy are they to adjust just a simple Torque Wrench or do i gotta remove stuff and take a whole day to "adjust" it?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:37 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

When you buy the Tokico D-Specs they include a tool to adjust the shocks/struts. You adjust them on the very top by inserting and turning the tool a certain amount of turns to harden or soften the ride. You could probably adjust all 4 in about 2 mins .
Old 12-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Keep in mind the Mustang's suspension is primative compared to some of the much more expensive japanese and euro performance coupes. Cars like the latest BMWs have fancy, high priced electronics that control much of the suspension and truely give you super smooth + great handling.

We can't get that combination on a Mustang but we can get a big improvement over stock. For both handling and smooth ride you do not want lowering springs. Lowering springs are by nature much stiffer. They have to do the same amount of work in less travel. They improve the handling (generally) but they degrade the ride. For your stated goals the best option is super good dampers. The D-Specs are a decent choice (I have them) but the Koni Sports would be even better. They both are super easy to adjust, you can do all four corners in just a few minutes using the adjusters supplied with them.

Also keep in mind that the number one improvement in handling is tires. But, here we go again, ultra high performance tires will be harsher than lesser tires.

Its all about tradeoffs - you can't have it all. The dampers can get you close though.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:41 PM
jayel579
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Keep in mind the Mustang's suspension is primative compared to some of the much more expensive japanese and euro performance coupes. Cars like the latest BMWs have fancy, high priced electronics that control much of the suspension and truely give you super smooth + great handling.

We can't get that combination on a Mustang but we can get a big improvement over stock. For both handling and smooth ride you do not want lowering springs. Lowering springs are by nature much stiffer. They have to do the same amount of work in less travel. They improve the handling (generally) but they degrade the ride. For your stated goals the best option is super good dampers. The D-Specs are a decent choice (I have them) but the Koni Sports would be even better. They both are super easy to adjust, you can do all four corners in just a few minutes using the adjusters supplied with them.

Also keep in mind that the number one improvement in handling is tires. But, here we go again, ultra high performance tires will be harsher than lesser tires.

Its all about tradeoffs - you can't have it all. The dampers can get you close though.
Well these cars do have an E36/46 BMW front end in them

Lowering springs are not the answer, better dampers are. I have Koni's in my car. The purpose of a damper is to control the springs, not the car. As Argo said lowering springs have to do the same work with less travel. Better tires can make a world of difference also but they tend to be more expensive and wear out quicker.