MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Intake confusion? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/503048-intake-confusion.html)

rfeyjoo 12-09-2008 06:32 AM

Intake confusion?

Hey guys...okay i wanted to know if i could by an air intake without a tune and the car still be okay until i purchase a tuner later on. Is this possible? I know brenspeed carries "no tune requires" intakes but i want one that can use a tune but just get the tuner/tune later on. Is it safe to put on a air intake without a tune?
2008 GT

Tried using search but the results that come have nothing to do what im putting in.
Help please.

Thanks!

05 Mustang 12-09-2008 06:43 AM

the guy who bought CAI (which required a tune) had both his lean codes come on after installing it and driving it around. the car's computer had not been told to allow more fuel for all the airflow that the car was now seeing.

07 GT E UPP 12-09-2008 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by rfeyjoo (Post 5731709)
Hey guys...okay i wanted to know if i could by an air intake without a tune and the car still be okay until i purchase a tuner later on. Is this possible? I know brenspeed carries "no tune requires" intakes but i want one that can use a tune but just get the tuner/tune later on. Is it safe to put on a air intake without a tune?
2008 GT

Tried using search but the results that come have nothing to do what im putting in.
Help please.

Thanks!

Just make sure it's the intake that doesn't require a tune but can be modified when you are ready later on. There are a few out there such as the C & L Street Cold Air Intake. :) Just google their site and they provide an informative write-on their Cold Air Intakes.;) They are one of the better ones in my opinion.
You will want the tuner as soon as possible though, as it really wakes up the car.

rfeyjoo 12-09-2008 06:49 AM

Okay so the intakes that say no tune required will still be "tunable" later on?

JD57 12-09-2008 06:52 AM

I have a BBK intake that says it doesn't need a tune, but it does.
I can't go over 3000 rpm without a CEL.
I am about to put the stock intake back on until I get a tune

07 GT E UPP 12-09-2008 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by rfeyjoo (Post 5731728)
Okay so the intakes that say no tune required will still be "tunable" later on?

Not sure about all others, I just have experience with C&L. Mine was/is fine.
I'm sure others will chime in here with their experiences....:)

Nuke 12-09-2008 07:04 AM

Some of those that have purchased "no tune required" CAI's have ended up with CEL's. Also, the no-tune required CAI's typically don't have a large enough CFM rating compared to those that require a tune such that, when you DO get a tune, you're not getting as much bang-for-the-buck.

A CAI w/o a tune is like sex with a rubber...

rfeyjoo 12-09-2008 07:26 AM

^ hahaha okay i guess im going to have to wait it out for another month or so so i can buy intake/tuner. But now looking at brenspeed they have a tuner.intake combo for like 645 or something and then I'd have to purchase that 75 dollar email tune right. damn

Nuke 12-09-2008 07:37 AM

The Brenspeed and Bama combos COME with 3 tunes at no additional charge. It's part of the package, already loaded on the handheld tuner. Read the info on the websites and you'll get a full understanding of how that works.

Bigcha40 12-09-2008 07:50 AM

im pretty sure the airraid intake has a removable screen or something in the intake that you can take out once you do get a tuner. but if you leave the screen in it requires no tune supposedly