Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended suspension upgrades??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 12:44 PM
jagbits
2nd Gear Member

Default Recommended suspension upgrades??

I am looking to upgrade my suspension this week, I am ordering the Steeda lowering springs and after cruising their site I saw sway bars, G-Trac brace, strut tower brace etc, anyone have any recommendations? I'm not racing just thought I could stiffin things up a bit.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:19 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Recommended suspension upgrades??

If you want to stiffen up the suspension, here is your one stop shopping spot!
BMF Fabrication
Old 06-01-2005, 01:25 PM
jagbits
2nd Gear Member

Oh Yeah they got some nice s*it there!
Old 06-01-2005, 01:27 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

If you are going to drop the car, I highly recommend their adjustable pan hard bar. It is the only one I have seen ( so far ) that you can do the adjustments with the bar on the vehicle. Steeda's requires it to be removed to be adjusted.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:33 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

damn jagbits, all I see you doing is buying this and that.. haha. I too would recomment bmr .. I lowered my stang with the eibach sports line and ordered the panhard bar from them... I was too lazy and left the bar out.. but its nice quality.. I will have to save that for another project. as for the springs.. I would not go that low.. my car handles great now.. but its a little too bumpy.. so now I have to get shocks or something.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:47 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

Too lazy to install the panhard bar? Dayum, you don't even have to jack her up unless you've been eating lots of donuts your whole life...
Old 06-01-2005, 11:19 PM
hd74man

I put all-Steeda suspension parts in my '88 GT when I first bought it new. I did springs, cowl brace, side bar brackets, poly bushings.

Never seemed to have $400.00 for the pan-hard bar.

Still have the car with 142k miles. Rides like a buckboard. If stiff ain't your bag just stay with springs. My -ex wife hated it.

Impressed with Steeda quality. Buyin' an '06 GT. Will go with Steeda again.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:01 AM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: hd74man

Rides like a buckboard. If stiff ain't your bag just stay with springs. My -ex wife hated it.
There's a joke in there somewhere!!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:15 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hd74man

I put all-Steeda suspension parts in my '88 GT when I first bought it new. I did springs, cowl brace, side bar brackets, poly bushings.

Never seemed to have $400.00 for the pan-hard bar.

Still have the car with 142k miles. Rides like a buckboard. If stiff ain't your bag just stay with springs. My -ex wife hated it.

Impressed with Steeda quality. Buyin' an '06 GT. Will go with Steeda again.

Hi hd74man,

The problem you had was that you had an '88 GT and didn't remove the binding that was built into the older cars suspension design. The new '05's ride much better and have no bind in the suspension and with the '05's much stiffer chassis allows for much lower spring and damper rates and still handles better simply due to geometry.

IMO unless you are going to use the '05 cars on the track and do it very often there is no good reason to add all of the chassis stiffeners being sold by BMR Fab. or anyone else for that matter. These chassis are already stiffer than the last gen pony with all the weld on braces you could buy. Braces for the strut towers, lower A-arms and stiffer panhard bar brace are really all that you need for a car with large tires, sport springs, sport struts and dampers. Spend your money on tires.

The only real problem that most people don't realize they are creating when lowering an '05 is that you need to correct the rear axle's position under the chassis before doing your 4 wheel alignment or you will have a wacky alignment. It won't be off that much unless you lower the rear more than an inch or so and usually you can get away with it but a good driver will feel it. This is what the adjustable street panhard bars are for. BMR Fab's is adjustable on the car and Steeda's is not. Both are strong choices but IMO the average person will have no need to keep adjusting the panhard bar. Once the springs are in and the axle is centered you don't need to change it unless you change the rear ride height again so I bought the Steeda piece and the HD panhard brace. If you look at the flimsy stock sheet metal brace as supplied by Ford you will buy a heavy duty unit to support the panhard bar pickup point too.

Also look into Steeda's front A-arm and rear link kits that allow you to correct the car's geometry after lowering and restore the car's roll centers. These parts require good welding skills and simple fab skills to install correctly. These parts work perfectly to restore your car's original geometry which was very good until you lowered it! There are also bumpsteer correction kits from Steeda but I'm not sure this is really an issue for moderately lowered cars though again a good driver will feel it but with stiffer shocks reducing movement this should be less of an issue for most people.

HTH

Old 06-02-2005, 12:16 AM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

More than one...

Quick Reply: Recommended suspension upgrades??