Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Shelby Cobra - License Plate Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:36 AM
FormerNYer

Default 2008 Shelby Cobra - License Plate Issue

Can anybody lend some advice. My girlfriend and I recently treated ourselves to this fine machince. My favorite part of the car is the front grill & hood. They have this "BACK OFF" look to them.

However, we live in a state that requires front and back plates. Now I have to ruin that look with the front plate. Should I put it off to the side of the front bumper or right in the center?

Did anybody else have to deal with this issue.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

You do know they make Automatic ones that are retractable right? so you could hide it in the lower grill and if u get pulled over hit a button and it will come right out...
Old 12-12-2008, 12:32 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

I don't have my front plate on and I'm in Tx. All I had to do to get inspected was stick it in the dash. I see a lot of cars running around without front plates. I say BAH to it.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:39 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FormerNYer
Can anybody lend some advice. My girlfriend and I recently treated ourselves to this fine machince. My favorite part of the car is the front grill & hood. They have this "BACK OFF" look to them.

However, we live in a state that requires front and back plates. Now I have to ruin that look with the front plate. Should I put it off to the side of the front bumper or right in the center?

Did anybody else have to deal with this issue.
If your car is black, a tinted plate cover from autozone makes it more tolerable. The one I have angles back from the center.. and follows the lines of the bumper. Not a perfect solution.. but keeps me out of trouble.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

To be honest I dont know if i am lucky or not but I am in los Angeles California and i dont have a front plate only a back plate had cops in front of me at least 30 times they didn't care. And CA is the worst with car stuff like that IMO also it's a simple fix it ticket if your caught.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:25 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

First piece of advice is to call your car by the correct name... Shelby GT500. :-)

Secondly, I haven't had a plate on the front of my car in TX since I got it. No issues whatsoever. As long as you're not driving in a fashion (like a fool) that is going to draw attention, I would think you'll be fine also.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:05 PM
East87
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
First piece of advice is to call your car by the correct name... Shelby GT500. :-)

Secondly, I haven't had a plate on the front of my car in TX since I got it. No issues whatsoever. As long as you're not driving in a fashion (like a fool) that is going to draw attention, I would think you'll be fine also.
Maybe they got a Shelby GT?
Old 12-12-2008, 02:06 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I agree with those above....if you can try to get away with it, don't put a front plate on that beautiful car.

Luckily, we don't have front plates here in West Virginia.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:13 PM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

As you know, I'm also a Corvette owner. Here's one for ya. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7PG1Eg3wy8
Old 12-12-2008, 03:24 PM
chopin0302
1st Gear Member

If you did not have the GT 500, which is what it sounds like you do, I would recommend this:

http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/brackets.html

I have one and it's great. However, after I removed it to have the s/c installed I never put it back on. As some of the posters have said, as long as you aren't drawing attention to yourself, it's usually not a crime worth stopping for. I do keep it behind my seat, though, in case I do get questioned about it, I can say that it was coming loose and that I'll put it on as soon as I get home... right.

Quick Reply: 2008 Shelby Cobra - License Plate Issue