Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell us about your HID's

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:28 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

Here is a link some may find interesting. The project should be complete in a few weeks. It should be installed by January or when it gets warmer out.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=472425
Old 12-16-2008, 11:55 AM
brabla10

Anyone have any pics of their HID's lit up? I'd like to see some finished work before I make a decision on my kit.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:22 PM
1nasty05
2nd Gear Member

heres 10,000k
Old 12-17-2008, 11:16 AM
brabla10

Thanks for the responses from everyone on my questions and for the pic 1nasty05, looks good. So I've decided to keep my HIDs and will be installing them in a couple of days. I guess I'll be taking my chances since it's pretty well established that these are illegal.

This has probably been beat to death, but there seems to be mixed reviews about the blinding issue of these things. Does the housing need to be adjusted all the way down or how much do you guys usually have to adjust to keep these from really messing with others' driving? I even went as far as to call a local shop that does inspections. They said there is no way they will pass inspection (good thing I can pop the stocks back in within minutes) and that aiming down really has no effect in preventing blinding of oncoming traffic.

I guess it depends on how slow the night is for a cop to pull someone over for these as I see them all over the place where I live. I would definitely feel better if anyone else can talk about their experience with these HID's.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by deekum1627
i got the factory ford ones they came on my car no probloms at all
I've also got the OE HIDs, but I've noticed that the distribution of light from them is slightly uneven. That's been from since Day 1.

If I can see the pavement being illuminated by the HIDs at all, tuning on the foglights fixes that for the low beams. I don't seem to have the opportunities to run high beams like I used to, so I don't really know what happens with them. Been "flashed" by an oncoming driver exactly once in nine months now . . .

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-17-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:55 PM
roadracer516
1st Gear Member

If you are planning on running 8000K or higher, you will for sure have more of a chance to get pulled over by the cops because of the color. Mustangs now come with HID's as an option, so unless you are blinding every car on the road, I dont see why you would think you will have a problem? Again, it does not take a brain surgeon to know if your are blinding too many people on the road.....if you are getting flashed all the time, lower your beams. I have found the magic adjustment where the lights are aiming plenty far out and I never get flashed from oncoming traffic. No reason for a cop to pull you over, I have been running aftermarket HID's for over 5 years now on motorcycles and cars with no problems with the cops. I am in CA and we do not have "inspections", so I cant comment on that.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:36 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by roadracer516
If you are planning on running 8000K or higher, you will for sure have more of a chance to get pulled over by the cops because of the color. Mustangs now come with HID's as an option, so unless you are blinding every car on the road, I dont see why you would think you will have a problem? Again, it does not take a brain surgeon to know if your are blinding too many people on the road.....if you are getting flashed all the time, lower your beams. I have found the magic adjustment where the lights are aiming plenty far out and I never get flashed from oncoming traffic. No reason for a cop to pull you over, I have been running aftermarket HID's for over 5 years now on motorcycles and cars with no problems with the cops. I am in CA and we do not have "inspections", so I cant comment on that.
Hey roadracer516, do you have a pic of the location of the admustment nut?
Old 12-17-2008, 03:00 PM
roadracer516
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Hey roadracer516, do you have a pic of the location of the admustment nut?
I dont, but they are really easy to see on either side. It is a clear plastic 6mm allen directly on the back side of each headlight. I use a 3/8" ratchet with a 12" extension and a 6mm allen on it. You adjust them with the extension vertical to the ground. Each adjustment can be reached easily without removing anything for access. you will want to have your car very close to a garage door or something so you can get each aimed as close as possible. Hope that helps.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:06 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I didnt read through the whole thread, but adjusting my headlights is done by a phillips head screwdriver. The adjusters are located directly behind the headlights and you just stick the screwdriver down perpindicular to the ground to adjust them. Here is a picture of my 5000K retro-solutions bi-xenon hids.
Attached Thumbnails Tell us about your HID's-hids-at-night.jpg  
Old 12-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

After you think you've got them set, back the car up away from the door with the lights on and watch how the beam cutoff moves. If the cutoff drops slightly lower on the door, you'll almost certainly be OK. It's when it rises as you back away that you start blinding oncoming traffic.

Norm.

Quick Reply: Tell us about your HID's