Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how low can an 05 go in (lbs)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:04 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 GT E UPP
Is it a daily driver ..?? It all depends how far you really, really want to go..!! This could be endless and somewhat expensive ...
Here's just a few areas for some fairly easy weight reductions.... one piece aluminum DS, light weight tubular rad support, aluminum Flywheel, tubular K-member, and Light weight wheels, springs, and other stuff like control arms and sway bars, And you can always pull-out your back seat and spare tire etc.....
I would like the suggestions to be as thorough as possible so I can categorize all the info into one complete list and eventually post it as one complete thread . But I think that almost everyone is interested in the lower buck and the DIY list .
Old 12-15-2008, 10:20 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasperGT
17x7" wheels. I like a little bit of meat on my tires, and I for one don't want CF doors protecting me in a crash and I would like my crumple zone. Thanks, but no thanks!

If you have a daily driver, I would keep the spare.

Everything else seems okay (but not great) though.
How much protection dose the stock doors provide ? Would a 60 lbs chrome molly roll cage make up for the CF doors and crumple zones?
How much lighter or heavier would run flat tires compare to a spare and can run flat sizes even fit a mustang ? just a thought.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:40 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Most weights that I've seen are 3500-ish for a GT.

Is this weight loss primarily being sought for drag racing? I'm wondering how a hundred lbs could be taken out of the K-member without adversely affecting chassis stiffness and consequently, handling goodness (also wondering what contribution the crumple zone adds here).

Norm
sorry
Gt-Manual 3,450 pounds
Gt-Auto 3,500 pounds
v6-Manual 3,300 pounds
v6-Auto 3,345 pounds
Old 12-15-2008, 11:03 PM
foolio2k4
3rd Gear Member

Replacing the Glass windows for plastic materials is a significant weight reduction.
Lightweight battery
Carbon fiber roof (Is there someone that can do this)
Carbon fiber hood (Our hoods are much heavier than i thought)
typical performance parts weight less usually
Old 12-15-2008, 11:44 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Here are some thoughts .
Do you need a front sway bar delete if a factory v6 has no sway bars?
As far as handling issues of a sway bar delete on a gt ,I think that sway can be overcome with stiffer lower springs.
Rotating mass is worth more than strait weight reduction but both together is even better .
Lower center of gravity by moving some things around can have a nice effect , but do any of you think that battery relocation is worth the extra weight in the longer wire ?
How much weight could removing most or all the sound deadening material ?(but keep the carpet for looks)
Can most or all of the stock under hood support be altered or removed?
Could the hood/trunk hinges be removed and use 8 hood/trunk pins to keep them on and save some weight ?
keep em coming
Old 12-16-2008, 05:59 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The V6 has a front sta-bar. Just no rear one.

You can partially compensate for having no bars at all with stiffer springs and revised roll centers, but you give up other qualities when you do so. If you were to completely replace the "lost" roll stiffness (from discarding the bars), you probably wouldn't be very happy with the ride quality over less than perfect surfaces. If you replace none of the lost stiffness, you probably wouldn't like the amount of roll (and the indirect steer effects that roll causes). Many cars used to be designed without bars - I owned one "back in the day" and drove a number of others. IIRC, for some mfrs even the front bar was considered a "heavy-duty" or police/taxi fleet car option.

Weight vs affected factor issues eventually come down to compromise.

Norm
Old 12-16-2008, 09:17 AM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasperGT
17x7" wheels. I like a little bit of meat on my tires, and I for one don't want CF doors protecting me in a crash and I would like my crumple zone. Thanks, but no thanks!

If you have a daily driver, I would keep the spare.

Everything else seems okay (but not great) though.
Actually carbon fiber has a very high strength to weight ratio, so your safe from that side, otherwise they wouldn't build Ferrari Enzo's, SLR's, and other exotic cars with full carbon fiber bodies. The only draw back is the high cost.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:50 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Just a quick question.

Are the listed weights actual savings vs stock or just the weight of the lighter components? Because 20lb savings on the Vogtland springs which has a 34% supposed weight reduction over stock springs means the stock springs weigh about 60lbs. And when you look at the FRPP site, a set of their lowering springs is only 33lbs which is already lighter than the claimed lighter Vogtland at 40 lbs using the above math. Even if the weight savings were only 10lbs, that means the stock springs would be about 30lbs which is lighter than FRPP racing springs. Something doesn't add up.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:02 PM
cougarfan088
2nd Gear Member

-coilovers
-airbox
-spoiler delete
-tailpipe removal- side exhaust before rear axle.
-new mufflers
-high flow cats
-foglight and grille removal (change to V6 grille)
-rear seat delete
-agent 47 mirrors
-replace rear 1/4 windows with fiberglass
-strange lightweight brakes (drag use only)
-carbon fiber fenders

basically the skys the limit. it also depends on exactly what you are going to be doing with it.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

These guys make the Lexan windows for the FR500. Look under FORMED WINDOWS page.
http://www.proglasswindows.com/

Quick Reply: how low can an 05 go in (lbs)