Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh help! e-brake stuck in "engaged" position?

Old 12-22-2008, 08:43 AM
TorchedGT
1st Gear Member

Default Ugh help! e-brake stuck in "engaged" position?

..I just typed this out on my phone, aaand I clicked "send" only to be redirected back to the login page. Gr.

Anyways, I was at the gas station this morning and pulled up my parking brake, only to feel the lever give way about half way up, which felt really weird after that. I put it in neutral and the car didnt move (on a very slight hill, which was odd) so I went inside, got some coffee.. and sure enough (as I had already been fearing) when I pulled out, the car wasn't exactly eager to move haha.

Luckily, I work at a shop which was less than a mile away (I craaawled over there) but I was still greeted with a nasty smell when I opened my door. Probably glazed over my driver side pad pretty well. I'm assuming it's a caliper setup instead of a cog / rotor hub setup? I just got this car so I haven't messed with the brakes yet.

It's also 16 degrees out right now, so I really don't want to be messing with anything outside.. but I'm thinking (especially since the brake is obviously still functional) that something dislodged on the lever itself?

I'm searching too, but I need to cover all my bases since I'll be stuck at work tonight till I get this stupid thing fixed!

Thanks guys.

-alex
Old 12-22-2008, 08:48 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...-freezing.html
Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 AM
TorchedGT
1st Gear Member

Wow thats incredible! In the 20 minutes it took me to get to the gas station from my house (heated garage) it was so cold that water in the lines froze?

So my next question is about the warranty - the car is an '05, but only has 30k miles on it.. would this still be covered under warranty?

I was THINKING it could have froze, but the way the lever felt was straaange. Like it busted when I engaged it, not when I went to release it.. does that mean something's really screwed up?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:53 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

Try putting it in reverse and moving it. Sometimes they will wedge. That's all I can think of.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:27 PM
TorchedGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by buster
Try putting it in reverse and moving it. Sometimes they will wedge. That's all I can think of.
I'll give it a shot.. I backed out of the parking spot at the gas station though.

I'm going to put a halogen work light under that left wheel assembly in a little bit and hopefully that'll do the trick (and I just won't use it again when it's below freezing.)
Old 12-22-2008, 01:33 PM
BM83
2nd Gear Member

Both of my 2007s had to have at least one e-brake cable and caliper replaced. They froze up for what ever reason and since being replaced I have not had any problems.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:19 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Mine froze up this morning (14 degrees). I moved the car back/forth a few short steps, played with the handle, and it was back to normal. Leaving it in gear for the really cold nights though.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:31 PM
TorchedGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mdg
Mine froze up this morning (14 degrees). I moved the car back/forth a few short steps, played with the handle, and it was back to normal. Leaving it in gear for the really cold nights though.
Haha, the torch red GTs in Virginia all got jinxed this morning or something.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:56 PM
TorchedGT
1st Gear Member

Damn, I have a blanket over the front of the wheel, and two 500w halogen work lights behind it.. and no luck so far. They've been out there for 25 minutes a few inches away from the caliper..

How exactly does the parking brake system work in conjunction with the calipers? I need to figure out exactly where I should point the lights (now I wish I hadn't lowered it 2" in the rear! I hadn't realized the bottom strut mount was literally a few inches from the road!)

Hmmmm. Not feeling like getting stuck at work tonight!
Old 12-22-2008, 04:20 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TorchedGT
Damn, I have a blanket over the front of the wheel, and two 500w halogen work lights behind it.. and no luck so far. They've been out there for 25 minutes a few inches away from the caliper..

How exactly does the parking brake system work in conjunction with the calipers? I need to figure out exactly where I should point the lights (now I wish I hadn't lowered it 2" in the rear! I hadn't realized the bottom strut mount was literally a few inches from the road!)

Hmmmm. Not feeling like getting stuck at work tonight!
Gently rock the car forwards/backwards. Then play with the e-brake handle. I pulled it higher than I normally do, and then released it. Worked for me after several attempts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ugh help! e-brake stuck in "engaged" position?