Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PIE FRD04-POD/S iPod Adapter Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:29 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Post PIE FRD04-POD/S iPod Adapter Review ***UPDATED***

***UPDATE***

Ok, I know it took me forever to get around to calling them. Well, I did, and they first told me to recheck everything. I unplugged the damn unit, and whalla, it turned back on...again. Now, although it did, I wasn't still to enthused seeing that the pattern before would be that it will stop working in the future. So, they told me to pull the cover off, and read back the number on the chip. Mine reads "B3POD1" and is in fact the chip on the older recalled unites, which Frank at PIE confirmed. He told me to mail them a letter stating I needed the new part along with $2 to cover the shipping (not complaining) and they would ship me back the new part. So, I have to say I blame Discountcarstereo.com for selling me an older unit that was not compatible with our cars. Frank was very nice and helpful, and I really value their customer service. I'll update everyone once I get the new replacement chip in.

***ORIGINAL POST BELOW***

Ok, I purchased the PIE FRD04-POD/S iPod Adapter along with a 2nd Gen iPod Touch on 09/15/08. At first I was very impressed with this adapter. Full control of my iPod through the factory radio, relatively easy to install (all direct plug in minus one 12v lead wire), and it charged my iPod while it was plugged in. Then problems started arising about 2 months into it.

Problem 1:

(Started around 2nd month)

The unit would display "DB ERROR" once it reached the end of an album or sometimes even a single song, pause for a few seconds, reset, then start playing all the songs in alphabetical order. It started off happening every once in a while, then got to the point where it happened every single time I used the thing.

Problem 2:

(Started shortly after Problem 1)

The unit utilizes the factory AUX inputs on the radio. For example, the radio (if equipped with factory satellite radio) should read "AUX 1" "AUX 2" and "AUX 3" when you press the "AUX" button, in that order. With this kit, "AUX 1" and "AUX 3" are the same thing. They give you full access to the iPod through the dash. "AUX 2" or "iPod Remote" allows you to scroll through the songs forward or backwards, however most of the control is done through the iPod itself. By this point, "AUX 1" and "AUX 3" stopped working altogether. I could not go through my ablums via the headunit, instead I was forced to use the iPod itself. Now, I did learn that at first, simply resetting the battery would usually solve this problem. However, I didn't pay $130 to have to reset my damn battery every time it messes up.

Problem 3:

Problem 3 consists of problems 1 and 2 progressively getting worse.

Problem 4:

The unit no longer works. When you press the "AUX" button, it reads back "NO AUX AUDIO" and the unit no longer charges the iPod.

So for $130 I got 3 months of use out of this thing, which is mad ghey. The next step is calling P.I.E. and seeing if they will cover it under their warranty. I hope they do, b/c when it worked it was great. My advise, save up and get a better quality one. I've seen one on here before that got good reviews, and doesn't require having to run a 12v lead wire.

Last edited by kingsofcrunk; 03-11-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingsofcrunk
Ok, I purchased the PIE FRD04-POD/S iPod Adapter along with a 2nd Gen iPod Touch on 09/15/08. At first I was very impressed with this adapter. Full control of my iPod through the factory radio, relatively easy to install (all direct plug in minus one 12v lead wire), and it charged my iPod while it was plugged in. Then problems started arising about 2 months into it.

Problem 1:

(Started around 2nd month)

The unit would display "DB ERROR" once it reached the end of an album or sometimes even a single song, pause for a few seconds, reset, then start playing all the songs in alphabetical order. It started off happening every once in a while, then got to the point where it happened every single time I used the thing.

Problem 2:

(Started shortly after Problem 1)

The unit utilizes the factory AUX inputs on the radio. For example, the radio (if equipped with factory satellite radio) should read "AUX 1" "AUX 2" and "AUX 3" when you press the "AUX" button, in that order. With this kit, "AUX 1" and "AUX 3" are the same thing. They give you full access to the iPod through the dash. "AUX 2" or "iPod Remote" allows you to scroll through the songs forward or backwards, however most of the control is done through the iPod itself. By this point, "AUX 1" and "AUX 3" stopped working altogether. I could not go through my ablums via the headunit, instead I was forced to use the iPod itself. Now, I did learn that at first, simply resetting the battery would usually solve this problem. However, I didn't pay $130 to have to reset my damn battery every time it messes up.

Problem 3:

Problem 3 consists of problems 1 and 2 progressively getting worse.

Problem 4:

The unit no longer works. When you press the "AUX" button, it reads back "NO AUX AUDIO" and the unit no longer charges the iPod.

So for $130 I got 3 months of use out of this thing, which is mad ghey. The next step is calling P.I.E. and seeing if they will cover it under their warranty. I hope they do, b/c when it worked it was great. My advise, save up and get a better quality one. I've seen one on here before that got good reviews, and doesn't require having to run a 12v lead wire.
Bummer to read this. I had the first version of the PIE. It worked fine for me for around 4-5 months before it started causing problems, worst of which was causing the guages and lights on the dash to go freaking CRAZY including showing low oil pressure.

Not one month after I started having problems with mine, Peripherial did a recall of the unit and actually covered mine completely. I had gotten mine from Best Buy, but it had been long enough they wouldnt even consider a return. Peripherial did let me return it directly through them and I got every bit of my money back. I give them total credit for that since they could have easily just said 'tough luck'. The removed the '05-'07 mustang from their 'compatability chart' and called it done till they came out with a new and improved version that I think you are probably using. Sounds like things havent changed much unfortunately.

I guess the Brandmotion one is the way to go. I've yet to hear of anyone using that one and having problems. Unfortunatly (if I remember correctly) its about $100 more than the one you just purchased and I cant imagine wanting to shell out $500 total dollars on two units within such a short time.

I would try to contact Peripherial and see if they have any 'solutions' though.

Good luck and sorry to read about your problems with it.

Andretti
Old 12-22-2008, 06:44 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andretti
Bummer to read this. I had the first version of the PIE. It worked fine for me for around 4-5 months before it started causing problems, worst of which was causing the guages and lights on the dash to go freaking CRAZY including showing low oil pressure.

Not one month after I started having problems with mine, Peripherial did a recall of the unit and actually covered mine completely. I had gotten mine from Best Buy, but it had been long enough they wouldnt even consider a return. Peripherial did let me return it directly through them and I got every bit of my money back. I give them total credit for that since they could have easily just said 'tough luck'. The removed the '05-'07 mustang from their 'compatability chart' and called it done till they came out with a new and improved version that I think you are probably using. Sounds like things havent changed much unfortunately.

I guess the Brandmotion one is the way to go. I've yet to hear of anyone using that one and having problems. Unfortunatly (if I remember correctly) its about $100 more than the one you just purchased and I cant imagine wanting to shell out $500 total dollars on two units within such a short time.

I would try to contact Peripherial and see if they have any 'solutions' though.

Good luck and sorry to read about your problems with it.

Andretti
Now that you mention it, it did screw with my gauges. It would cause the fuel gauge to suddenly drop the E and it read some weird message telling me that it was all effed up! The only thing I am worried about is that the iPod Touch 2nd Gen is so new that it's not on the compatibility chart yet. I'm hoping they don't refuse b/c of that. So should I be honest and tell them I used that, or tell them I was using my other iPod (which I don't use), which happens to be a nano?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingsofcrunk
Now that you mention it, it did screw with my gauges. It would cause the fuel gauge to suddenly drop the E and it read some weird message telling me that it was all effed up! The only thing I am worried about is that the iPod Touch 2nd Gen is so new that it's not on the compatibility chart yet. I'm hoping they don't refuse b/c of that. So should I be honest and tell them I used that, or tell them I was using my other iPod (which I don't use), which happens to be a nano?
Thats interesting....I didnt remember there being a 'compatability' chart on which ones to use. I was using my 5th gen video ipod at the time (the first version that would play videos) on my P.I.E.

Up to you, I'd have to say though I'd go back and hook up the other one and see what happens for a week or two. Cause really, if they say dont use 'this version of the iPod', I gotta assume they say it for a reason. If it doesnt work, it sounds like it wasnt suppose to, but if you put in your other one that is on the compatability chart, and it messes up too, u know its not a problem on your end. My problems initially started with 'no aux connected' and then got progressively worse over time. When the dash went crazy with all the sensors going nuts (yeah, my gas guage did that too), thats when I decided enough was enough. I was not gonna let a $150 unit blow out my dash possibly and give FORD a reason not to cover it.

I'm also starting to wonder if maybe you didnt get ahold of an old P.I.E. unit. Its certainly possible that you may have been just 'lucky' enough to get the one old unit that was suppose to be pulled out of circulation that didnt. I would definately go to their site and check numbers too to make sure that isnt the case.

Please post back on your findings. I'm curious. Ever since I pulled my old P.I.E. unit, it has just been a matter of time till I got another one (a PIE or Brandmotion one). I love being able to use the iPod through the radio and even though it can be a bit 'tedious' to get to a specific song, if you spend the time to set your iPod up right in iTunes you can make it alot easier. And anything is better than having to rely on the Skipper 1000 for me. Yours is the first post I've seen at all saying you were having problems since the first one was pulled off the shelves. That is why I wonder if you actually have an old unit....I'd certainly check that out first before anything else.

Good Luck

Andretti
Old 12-22-2008, 07:31 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

^^Thanks for the input. I did buy it through discountcarstereo.com so they may have sold me the old unit. The chart doesn't necessarily state that it is incompatible with the Touch, it just isn't listed. Well, i'll try calling them sometime this week. I'll keep you posted on what happens. Thanks again for the input.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

If you don't get any love from P.I.E. or discountcarstero, this is the unit I've got in my 06 GT. Granted, I'm using an older iPod nano, but it's been working without problem and doesn't require you to splice in any wiring.

Before you go to them though, try using your old Nano, and see if that one works properly. If it does, it's an incompatibility issue with the iPod, but I don't think that's going to be the problem. Also, double check your wiring. If you had to splice in the 12v, you could be loose.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:22 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kotobuki
If you don't get any love from P.I.E. or discountcarstero, this is the unit I've got in my 06 GT. Granted, I'm using an older iPod nano, but it's been working without problem and doesn't require you to splice in any wiring.

Before you go to them though, try using your old Nano, and see if that one works properly. If it does, it's an incompatibility issue with the iPod, but I don't think that's going to be the problem. Also, double check your wiring. If you had to splice in the 12v, you could be loose.
Kotobuki

Try your link again and then select 'more photo's'. If you look on the black box plastic part as well as the end of the plug closely...they both say "peripheral". This is the brand and unit we are talking about. =] So we arent talking about any wiring or splicing, even if it is the first edition of it, they all hooked up the same. If this is the exact one you have, then yours is the second version that was supposedly updated (and which I've never heard of any additional problems). I had the first and it really messed up my dash and sounds like it is doing the same to his. Thats why I was suggesting he first establish which version of it he has (though I forgot to mention that if he remembers the color of it [white or clear plastic], that is typically the first version). If yours isnt this black version of it in the best buy pic, then I'd almost take bets that it will only be a matter of time before yours does the same thing to your dash that it did to mine. If its the black one, I'd bet your good to go for the duration.

king...check the color or if you remember already, post and let us know. If it is the older one, I would contact who you purchased it from immediately and tell them they sold you an 'out of date as well as out of circulation' model and they need to replace it immediately since it was pulled off the shelves by the manufacturer for the reasons we've been discussing. If that doesnt work, I'd try contacting peripheral and see if they would be willing to do something since you might be in a position where the place of purchase will not refund/replace the unit. Tell them you know they did replace them in the past when it was established they caused problems and you even know someone who they covered (just hope you still have a reciept cause they will want a copy). If Kotobuki has had such good luck with the second version, heck, I'd just ask to see if it was possible to do a 'swap'. I didnt have that option at the time since the second one hadnt come available as of yet.

Good luck

Andretti
Old 12-23-2008, 04:29 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andretti
Kotobuki

Try your link again and then select 'more photo's'. If you look on the black box plastic part as well as the end of the plug closely...they both say "peripheral". This is the brand and unit we are talking about. =] So we arent talking about any wiring or splicing, even if it is the first edition of it, they all hooked up the same. If this is the exact one you have, then yours is the second version that was supposedly updated (and which I've never heard of any additional problems). I had the first and it really messed up my dash and sounds like it is doing the same to his. Thats why I was suggesting he first establish which version of it he has (though I forgot to mention that if he remembers the color of it [white or clear plastic], that is typically the first version). If yours isnt this black version of it in the best buy pic, then I'd almost take bets that it will only be a matter of time before yours does the same thing to your dash that it did to mine. If its the black one, I'd bet your good to go for the duration.

king...check the color or if you remember already, post and let us know. If it is the older one, I would contact who you purchased it from immediately and tell them they sold you an 'out of date as well as out of circulation' model and they need to replace it immediately since it was pulled off the shelves by the manufacturer for the reasons we've been discussing. If that doesnt work, I'd try contacting peripheral and see if they would be willing to do something since you might be in a position where the place of purchase will not refund/replace the unit. Tell them you know they did replace them in the past when it was established they caused problems and you even know someone who they covered (just hope you still have a reciept cause they will want a copy). If Kotobuki has had such good luck with the second version, heck, I'd just ask to see if it was possible to do a 'swap'. I didnt have that option at the time since the second one hadnt come available as of yet.

Good luck

Andretti
Actually, the P.I.E. FRD04-POD/S referenced in the original post, and the unit currently causing problems for Kingsofcrunk is this unit from Precision Interface Electronics. The unit I referenced is from Peripheral Electronics, though it no longer seems to be listed on their site, and is back ordered at BestBuy (which happens to be where I got mine from, as well as my first version that didn't work properly, which bestbuy took back as a return). It may be that this unit is no longer in production.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kotobuki
Actually, the P.I.E. FRD04-POD/S referenced in the original post, and the unit currently causing problems for Kingsofcrunk is this unit from Precision Interface Electronics. The unit I referenced is from Peripheral Electronics, though it no longer seems to be listed on their site, and is back ordered at BestBuy (which happens to be where I got mine from, as well as my first version that didn't work properly, which bestbuy took back as a return). It may be that this unit is no longer in production.
My apologies....obviously my mistake. Guess I got sucked in by the info on what it was doing to his dash and the mention of P.I.E. Strange that it also reacted the same way though.

Andretti
Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Basically anything P.I.E. sucks.
Cant believe Crutchfield is still selling that junk.
BrandMotion FTW.

Quick Reply: PIE FRD04-POD/S iPod Adapter Review