Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emeergency brake frozen...fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:04 AM
GT Brett

Default Emeergency brake frozen...fixes?

I have searched and know about the TSBs and that this is a very common problem with our Mustangs. In my searches, I didn't find a home remedy for this issue. My Mustang came from a warmer climate and is currently out of warranty. The dealer doesn't want to do anything to fix it. When I first took it in to have it checked, they even said that there was not any TSBs that dealt with e-brake issues. I quickly found one and presented it to him the next day. They do not cover anything once it is out of warranty.

Does anyone have a home fix for this issue? They want $260 to fix the issue, $200 is for the parts. This is crazy. If my car had been in a colder climate, it would have been fixed by now under warranty. I hate to say it but issues like this is what makes one understand why the American car makers are in trouble. It is a known problem on almost all early 05-05 Mustangs and he still denys that he knows about it or that there is even a TSB out, then when presented with the info, refuses to do anything about it.
thanks
Old 12-23-2008, 10:48 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

If the E-brake cables are currently frozen and the rear brakes are locked, then the only thing that you can do, other than replacing the cables, is to thaw them out with a hair dryer. Then, keep the tranny in gear to prevent the car from rolling when it's parked, and do not use the e-brakes until the ambient temps increase above freezing.
If the car is out of warranty and you want to have the cables replaced, then you will have to pay either the dealer or an independent shop to do it.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:35 PM
clustersnarf
1st Gear Member

So is this a warranty issue? Anyone got a TSB for it? This happened to me yesterday in Birmingham after having the car in a parking deck at the hospital for a few days.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 PM
clustersnarf
1st Gear Member

Nevermind. a couple links down in the search and i located

TSB# 06-5-4

I assume it still applies to the current models.

Originally Posted by clustersnarf
So is this a warranty issue? Anyone got a TSB for it? This happened to me yesterday in Birmingham after having the car in a parking deck at the hospital for a few days.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:03 PM
BM83
2nd Gear Member

Chances are if your car is out of warranty the dealer wont fix it for free. However, if it is
a dealer that you use often for maintanence and repairs, they may work with you. A
bulletin does not mean warranty repair.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:08 PM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

im running into this problem currently, anyone have a link to one that i can buy and install myself? dont trust the stealership and the car is out of warranty lol
Old 12-20-2009, 11:45 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

i could get it fixed under warranty, but i dont have the time, i just use first geat instead of the break, lol.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:39 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

The only fix is to replace the cables
Old 12-21-2009, 08:07 AM
batmobile2005
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hardcore302
i could get it fixed under warranty, but i dont have the time, i just use first geat instead of the break, lol.

yeah, i do the same, but i feel like its not good for the transmission to only use that with no E brake

also, when i want to warm the car up to get the snow/ice off the windshield, i have to take it out of gear, and the E brake isnt on, i really dont like that haha
Old 12-22-2009, 04:12 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

had it happen to me also, naturally dealership is of no help, the cables arent actually hard to change but i never did it since I got the car early in spring and have no intentions of driving it year round so its stored right now

I got bit by it 2 or 3x. What I would do is release parking break first of all and grab the cables under the car where it is at its low point in the back by the rear wheels and bend/flex it you could hear ice cracking. Then I would reach around the back of the wheel where the cable went into the caliper and try and pull/push it back and forth and this woudl do the trick.

It always just happened on one side of my car, its a crap design

It is sad that there are TSBs but once you are out of warranty no luck. I also have an issue with fueling the car like many also have with early s197s, when its warm out im usually fine but when its cold its brutal. I bought the car in feb and the dealer told me they filled the car up meaning they knew damn well also

Quick Reply: Emeergency brake frozen...fixes?