Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird gauge problems, temp gauge, volt gauge and check engine light

Old 12-23-2008, 10:50 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Default Weird gauge problems, temp gauge, volt gauge and check engine light

Ok so yesterday my wife was driving my car and the CANBUS system reset itself. Not sure why it did this but it has done it in the past when I had a ipod adapter that gets its power from the CANBUS system. Now I have one that pulls directly from the battery power and I have had it on the car for like 6 months now with no problems. Anyway, when the system resets, the oil pressure goes to 0, gas gauge goes to 0, etc... Well it did that last night so we disconnected the battery and let it sit like I have in the past and then plugged it in. Everything was fine then it threw a check engine light and gave me the voltage high error for the fuel sending unit and another code (I can get those tonight if needed, its something like p2046 or something like that but I cant remember exactly).

So now my wife was driving the car and she said everything else is fine but its showing the check engine light, temp gauge is acting weird, volt gauge is showing high. I checked the battery with a meter it see if the alternator was sending too much voltage but it wasnt... Anyone know what is wrong with my car?
Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 AM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Oh and I forgot to add that it was a week or two ago when the volt gauge started to show high. Thats when I checked it with the volt meter and it was showing 13.84
Old 12-23-2008, 11:25 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

If you knew the specif code, diagnosis would be childs play.
Without it, its a shot in the dark.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:00 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Ok got both the codes.

P0463
P2068
Old 12-23-2008, 02:54 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Ok so I was looking it up on some other forums and came across one where a guy mentions a kick panel on the passanger side that can get water in it if you have a water leak like a lot of the 05's did. And now that I think about it, it was wet out the other day and the symptoms are kind of the same. Someone told me that if the CANBUS system gets shocked it will reset and cause these problems and needs to be reset by disconnecting the battery. So either water got on that panel and shorted the sending unit, or the sending unit died and shocked the CANBUS and caused it to reset.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:21 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by avengence
Ok got both the codes.

P0463
P2068

Both those are Fuel System codes.
Possable cause for both is a damaged SJB.
You have the unwanted underdash water dispensor
option most of us got but didnt want nor special order.
Search 'water leak' on this forum and read the some 150
pages on the topic. It was discussed twice just last week.

S197 DTC CHARTS

Last edited by 157dB; 12-23-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:40 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

What is a SJB?

I looked up the threads but does it actually damage the fuel sending unit?
Old 12-23-2008, 05:05 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Ok I figured it out. its the smart junction box. I cannot find the part number for it thought if I need to order a new one. My wife drove my car today and she said it smelled like something was burnt when she turned on the defrosters. I am guessing that its fryed then.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:39 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

I just posted what sounds like the same problem under the title "Could this be a bad battery?" On the rear defrost, I had the contact come loose. The guy at the dealership had seen it before, and it was a simple fix to glue it back on. This was on the convertible where that wire takes a lot more abuse.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:52 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

I meant the front defrosters...

I came home and checked out the car and reset the battery and the code went away. The code couldnt have been right cause it happened right when she turn on the car the first time after reseting it. Anyway I drove the car around and the light never came back on and all the gauges are fine.

But now I have another issue. The car is making a loud clunking noise (not terribly loud just louder than it usually does) every rotation, it sounds like only one piston is doing it. It doesnt affect idle or anything, or if you rev it up a little it doesnt affect the RPMs. Any ideas what this is?

Also what powertrain warranty did the 05s come with?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird gauge problems, temp gauge, volt gauge and check engine light