Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infamous Water Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:31 PM
lurkmoar
1st Gear Member

Exclamation Infamous Water Leak

My stang started leaking water in the passenger floor board a few days ago. I have started reading the threads on here about this issue. I read there is a TSB on this, does anyone know where i can find it? Also my car is no longer under warranty... should i take it to the dealer anyway?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:00 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

You can fix this issue your self. pretty easy. . If you take your battery and the casing out for it you will see a rubber gromet.. just need to seal that up.. There is a how to with pics on how to do it. No reason to pay the stealership for something this easy to fix. Good luck
Old 12-27-2008, 08:03 PM
lurkmoar
1st Gear Member

^thanks
Old 12-27-2008, 09:00 PM
ZZLEGEND
3rd Gear Member

See if this helps you lurkmoar. Hope you get it fixed.
http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...sb07-14-06.pdf
Old 12-28-2008, 08:35 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Also, remove the 2 black rubber pieces at the base of the firewall in the rear of the engine compartment, and clean out any debris that has collected in them.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:58 AM
WhiteHorse94
2nd Gear Member

There are several other places that the water could be coming from..mine was fixed per the TSB and it took care of the problem.

The TSB does not say anything about the two issues listed above
Old 12-28-2008, 09:30 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteHorse94
There are several other places that the water could be coming from..mine was fixed per the TSB and it took care of the problem.

The TSB does not say anything about the two issues listed above
+10000

I'm sorry to say that there is no simple, one-size-fits-all fix. If you do it yourself, you might be able to find ALL of the leaks, or you might not. If you do attempt it, I hope you have some spare time and patience on your hands.

If you take it to a dealership, the odds are that they are not going to be able to fix it completely, even though there is a TSB on it. You will be told that they've fixed it, only to find out when you're out in the rain that they haven't. Then you're back to the dealership; rinse and repeat...

The TSB is simply not comprehensive enough, and my opinion is that there aren't too many dealership techs out there that will attack these kinds of problems with the required mindset; they are OK at following step-by-step instructions (usually), but that will be as far as it goes.

Check my sig...I had an 06 with this problem, and they never did figure it out (after resealing grommets, cleaning out debris, uninstalling/reinstalling windshield and cowl, and a full carpet tear-up and replacement). That said, I feel the dealership I dealt with was one of the better ones. I ended up getting Ford to replace the whole car, since I had a new car with low(ish) mileage.

Bottom line: don't take it lightly, or you'll end up with health and safety issues (electrical problems, interior rust, mold/mildew, horrible smells, etc).

Good luck...
Old 01-27-2009, 04:19 PM
william_ace
1st Gear Member

instead of starting a new thread i figured i would post here. my 96 is leaking on the floor boards pretty bad. is it a clogged ac vent line or something? no rain here in months, so i believe it is that. i searched and this is the best thread i came up with. thanks fellas
Old 01-27-2009, 04:41 PM
william_ace
1st Gear Member

looks like its dripping out from the blower box, where is the vent tube on these?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

My vert leaked from the cowl clip gaskets. I fixed it myself a couple years ago by removing the foam gaskets (10 of them) & sealing the clips in with RV seam sealer.
Funny how know the new tsb includes some kind of hot melt glue to replace the clip gaskets. I pulled the wiper cowl off & removed a couple of the cilips & found the body was full of water. When I would turn left it would come out by the sjb on the passenger side.
Never leaked again after sealing the cowl clips.

Bottom line is there are several places these cars leak. You can fix it yourself.

Quick Reply: Infamous Water Leak