Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lastest issue of Motortrend just made me sad.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 11:33 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

No way would I even dream of trading in my for 370. Maybe a challenger or camaro if I had the extra cash. Would have to be a lot of extra cash.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:43 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I wouldn't trade in on anything (it has sentimental value ), but if I had the cash, I would probably buy a Camaro SS to add to the stable if it really turns out to be what it's cracked up to be.

Also, the 4.7 seconds to 60 for the 370 is probably a steep exaggeration unless it has like 4.10 gears or something... it only has 270 torque.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:06 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
That Z is going to be pretty close to maxed out power-wise though, without major modifications (unless something has changed in the past like 2-3 years). I had a 2005 35th Anniversary 350Z. It was a beautiful car, but I got extremely bored with it... it just didn't have any soul, if that makes sense. Functionally, it was pretty flawless, especially in the canyons in Utah where I lived at the time.

IMO, the Mustang has always been about starting with a good foundation and modifying the car. Those who wish to buy a "fast" Mustang out of the box can go for the Shelby, Saleen, Roush, etc. But for the majority of us, the fun is in the modding. And the Mustang has always been the underdog.

Here is a pic of my old Z, for a stroll down memory lane.

[IMG]http://www.fsengage.com/camel/Z/5-14-2005/14_800.jpg[IMG]
Took the words right out of my mouth. The engine in the Mustang will be much more responsive to mods as it is pretty tame from the factory. The Z's engine on the other hand is going to pretty much tapped out, unless you boost it.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
Took the words right out of my mouth. The engine in the Mustang will be much more responsive to mods as it is pretty tame from the factory. The Z's engine on the other hand is going to pretty much tapped out, unless you boost it.
Again, our stangs can only make 400hp NA, and that's at the flywheel. We to need FI to make any real power. Same as the Nissan.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 12-30-2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:38 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Again, our stangs can only make 400hp NA, and that's at the flywheel. We to need FI to make any real power. Same as the Nissan.
The Nissan can make 400 N/A? From what I hear around that would have to be a pretty worked engine.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

The Nissan can make 400 N/A? From what I hear around that would have to be a pretty worked engine.
I have no clue, wasn't trying to say that. My point is, us stang owners MUST GO FI in order to make any real power. Staying NA won't get your far and cost a lot of money.

So we are almost in the same boat as the Nissan with FI being the way to go.

A true bolt on motor was the LS1. You didn't have to go FI to make real power with those and it didn't cost a bundle. Our little 281ci engines aren't the same.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:54 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Again, unless they've changed something dramatically, I don't think so. That V6 is pretty well strung out AFAIK. When I had mine I remember there really wasn't anything I could do to it to gain significant power short of FI for thousands of dollars. There are a slew of bolt-ons for an NA GT that will push the power up beyond the Z's. Mine had come with a NISMO intake installed at the dealership (at the time, I bought the only 35th 350Z in the mountain region, and it had been on display at the SLC car show, hence the intake), and from what I heard that thing only netted a couple of horses (like single digits), and it was a few hundred bucks.

Here is a bunch of pictures of that car for anyone who likes car **** and is bored, lol.
35th Anniversary Z

Last edited by Mudflap; 12-30-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:14 PM
Mrbobcat
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I like the Z too. I think the 370 may be a little over the top, esp. the wheels. But 4.9 to 60 is pretty impressive from a 6 (I've also heard of a 4.7). I think they underrated the engine a bit too. Still a little too expensive for me though. I know they are "around" the mustangs price, but I would have to get the LSD and thats a couple grand option I believe and I can get the ford discount on the mustang. Plus, even though I don't "need" back seats as I'm single right now, you never know when your situation will change and back seats come in handy sometimes. btw, I'm wondering if it would be better to wait and see what the 2011 brings out? The 315hp is pretty good for the weight if you ask me (a big improvement over the 215 5.0 I had years ago), but there are already rumors of a twin turbo in the 2010 taurus for around 350hp. I know that car is heavy and fwd, but still...I wonder if the 2011 stang will get that engine as an option along with the new 5.0. I also wonder if the 5.0 will be the gt or a more expensive model?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I'm not sure I'd bank on a twin turbo option any time soon with the US automakers in the hole right now. The Z is VERY small. The cargo area in the coupe is actually not bad though, you could get maybe 2 large duffel bags back there. The Mustang might as well not even have a back seat if you ask me.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:13 PM
shoepolishsmelling
2nd Gear Member

hell you can fit quite a few things in the back seat of the stang not to mention flipping them down that space came in handy

Quick Reply: Lastest issue of Motortrend just made me sad.