Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lastest issue of Motortrend just made me sad.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shoepolishsmelling
hell you can fit quite a few things in the back seat of the stang not to mention flipping them down that space came in handy
That reminds me of my 90 hatchback. I wonder if they'll ever bring them back.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:52 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

A 2010 GT with the track pack will be capable of low 13's with a good driver.....and still cost less than a 370Z. And it will have a backseat. Then there's the whole thing of actually sounding nice too.

Should I go on? As others have said...the Z's come tuned pretty close to their potential right off the factory floor. Try ringing out your 3V 4.6 for all its worth and tell me you don't put out more than 335bhp. Unfair to compare engines that way?..........sure. But so is comparing a 4 seater ponycar to a 2 seater sportscar. Hell, why don't they compare the Mustang to a Solstice while they're at it? Or how about the 370Z vs a Charger SRT8? Hmmmm.

Face it. The Mustang GT has proven to be a favorite whipping boy to the Car rags in recent years, namely because of its popularity and perseverence in the market. I've learned to ignore it. But just you wait......if the 5.0 does return to the GT in 2011, I foresee the Mustang vs import 2 and 4 seater performance coupes mysteriously subsiding.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:09 AM
steele901
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
A 2010 GT with the track pack will be capable of low 13's with a good driver.....and still cost less than a 370Z. And it will have a backseat. Then there's the whole thing of actually sounding nice too.

Should I go on? As others have said...the Z's come tuned pretty close to their potential right off the factory floor. Try ringing out your 3V 4.6 for all its worth and tell me you don't put out more than 335bhp. Unfair to compare engines that way?..........sure. But so is comparing a 4 seater ponycar to a 2 seater sportscar. Hell, why don't they compare the Mustang to a Solstice while they're at it? Or how about the 370Z vs a Charger SRT8? Hmmmm.

Face it. The Mustang GT has proven to be a favorite whipping boy to the Car rags in recent years, namely because of its popularity and perseverence in the market. I've learned to ignore it. But just you wait......if the 5.0 does return to the GT in 2011, I foresee the Mustang vs import 2 and 4 seater performance coupes mysteriously subsiding.
well said, couldn't agree more.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:07 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147

I like you haha. You also reminded me of the exhaust part too, I have not heard one good sounding 350z in person. They all sound like **** with aftermarket exhaust.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
Yeah I like the Z too. I think the 370 may be a little over the top, esp. the wheels. But 4.9 to 60 is pretty impressive from a 6 (I've also heard of a 4.7). I think they underrated the engine a bit too. Still a little too expensive for me though. I know they are "around" the mustangs price, but I would have to get the LSD and thats a couple grand option I believe and I can get the ford discount on the mustang. Plus, even though I don't "need" back seats as I'm single right now, you never know when your situation will change and back seats come in handy sometimes. btw, I'm wondering if it would be better to wait and see what the 2011 brings out? The 315hp is pretty good for the weight if you ask me (a big improvement over the 215 5.0 I had years ago), but there are already rumors of a twin turbo in the 2010 taurus for around 350hp. I know that car is heavy and fwd, but still...I wonder if the 2011 stang will get that engine as an option along with the new 5.0. I also wonder if the 5.0 will be the gt or a more expensive model?

I'm pretty doubtful on the 0-60 times for the new Z (in the 4.7-4.9 range). For one, while it has 332 HP it actually DROPPED down to 270TQ, that's 16 TQ less than the outgoing 350Z. TQ is what gets you moving.

Two, they only dropped 50 lbs between the outgoing 350Z and the incoming 370Z. Sooo...50 lbs less and 16 TQ less posting these unbelievable numbers sounds like GT-R Nuremberg fuzzy math to me.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

I am usually very suspicious of Jap hp numbers. I'd rather see what they get on a dyno vs. a Mustang. Also, Top Gear, a fairly decent British car show, gave two different reviews of the 370Z. One guy liked it because it was fun on the track, but he didn't drive it on the road. The guy who took it on a road trip actually stopped mid trip and refused to drive it any further. He said the ride was terrible, and it was so noisy he had to stop.
The Mustang isn't a two seat sports car, its a pony car, a semi compact with better than average power. Compare the 2005+ to the original 65 & 66 Stangs, and what a difference Ford has made. Our cars handle very well from the factory, the engine is really top notch technically and is easily modded, and we have four seats with a sizeable trunk. I considered buying a Solstice, because my Mustang is basically a toy which I drive only in the summer, but I didn't want to be on an interstate with such a small car, or have such limited luggage space if I decided to take a trip. Its a bonus that I can take someone with the wife and me if we go on a picnic or something.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:34 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00

Two, they only dropped 50 lbs between the outgoing 350Z and the incoming 370Z. Sooo...50 lbs less and 16 TQ less posting these unbelievable numbers sounds like GT-R Nuremberg fuzzy math to me.
I'm totally with you on that one. The numbers don't sound right to me either. What I'm not understanding is this: is the 370Z supposed to replace the 350?.....or is it gonna be produced as a different model altogether?
Old 01-01-2009, 06:04 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
On the cover are a 2010 Mustang and a Nissan 370Z. Along with the cars are stats.

Mustang
315HP
$28,000
0-60 in 5.2 sec

370Z
332HP
$31,000
0-60 in 4.7 sec

WTF. How is this NA V6 making more power and killing us in 0-60 so horribly. The 370Z only weighs 200lbs less so its not a huge weight advantage.

It gets worse when you actually open the mag.

The as-tested prices were real close, $34k for the 370z vs $33.3K for the stang. 1/4 mile in 13.3 @ 105.7 versus the stang's 13.7 @ 103.7, 6-speed versus our 5-speed, better gas mileage also gives the nod to the 370Z.

I just feel that ford let us down on this one. I was hoping for more. 350HP NA doesn't seem like asking for to much.

Sure the interior is nice, the exterior is growing on me, but the performance just isn't there.

What do you guys think.
I think I don't like Motor Trend and will not even bother with their stats.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:06 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Ford really should have put a better motor in the car....like maybe a 5.0!
Old 01-01-2009, 06:29 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05 Mustang
Ford really should have put a better motor in the car....like maybe a 5.0!
I fixed that problem myself

I saw this on tv a few minutes ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKEFwDrkgbU

I'll be honest, if I was picking between a new stang and that, it's an obvious choice BUT the z's will always cost more and be less tuner friendly. That said I'm sticking will my 07 for quite sometime

Quick Reply: Lastest issue of Motortrend just made me sad.