Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coating FR500 Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 10:10 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hootna
Yes the pricing is all over the place and you have to watch out some of them will quote a low ball price just to get you to call. Then they tell you that yes it is only $50 per wheel but we will also need to prep the part, guess they bead blast or whatever and that is $75 per hour and that will be 1 1/2 hours for your wheels blah blah blah...

Place I went just said it would be around $50 per wheel and I think I ended up paying $250 total actually. I have pictures in my Gallery of my rims. Worst thing was once I got them home I let my daughter roll one in tires were mounted of course and she dropped the rim face down. Guess a powder coated rim is like a piece of toast with butter and jelly they land face down.. Anyway it isnt bullet proof as it tore up the lip a little but with flat black I just used a rattle can to fix it. But if you are expecting bullet proof they will still scratch and they can pretty much powder coat anything you want.
The second part is why I suggested anodizing. It is not something that is applied on the metal, but rather it is absorbed in to the metal. It still scratches, but it will never ever chip or flake on you.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:10 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

Dont you need a special powder coat that doesnt fade in the sun also? I thought i heard someone say something about that before.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:26 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
You know, I am in to paintball, and I have always wondered if you could anodize aluminum wheels just like aluminum paintball guns. It would be expensive but you could do some neat stuff with it and IMO it looks so much better.
It's like you said though, it would cost. It would also take someone really experienced with it because, especially with black, if you give it to much power it comes out looking terrible.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:53 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
It's like you said though, it would cost. It would also take someone really experienced with it because, especially with black, if you give it to much power it comes out looking terrible.
Ya but if you are paying $150 a wheel then I would much rather spend a little more and anodize it. I would imagine anodizing would be in the $200-$250 range, maybe even less. After seeing it used on markers that take a ton of abuse I would think it would be awesome for a car.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:56 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
Ya but if you are paying $150 a wheel then I would much rather spend a little more and anodize it. I would imagine anodizing would be in the $200-$250 range, maybe even less. After seeing it used on markers that take a ton of abuse I would think it would be awesome for a car.
It would also be pretty hard to find someone that could do something that big. I'm familiar with doing it on markers myself but we used an ice chest some nails and a car battery charger. Point being though is in my area anyways, it's pretty rare to do it on anything as big as a rim. Wouldn't mind seeing it though
Old 01-01-2009, 10:08 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
It would also be pretty hard to find someone that could do something that big. I'm familiar with doing it on markers myself but we used an ice chest some nails and a car battery charger. Point being though is in my area anyways, it's pretty rare to do it on anything as big as a rim. Wouldn't mind seeing it though
I know I am really interested to see it myself now too haha. I know a bunch of places that do markers, but like you said the size of the wheel would be an issue, but I also know some really big companies that do it too.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:48 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

I have had several sets of dritbike rims power coated. I have dealt with a few shops and they have "variable" pricing...that is...the price is whatever it is often carrying on who walks through the door.

Call few shops and find one that is "reasonable". Walk in with 60% of what they asked for in cash (like actual green stuff) and I think you will be good.

I think $100 per is a good price. I would not go over $150 for sure.

FWIW, I pay less and less each time I go...from $150 for a set down to $80 for a set. In this economy...allot of shops are looking for cash business. I bet 4 Franklin's will get you what you want!