Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Leather" seats

Old 12-30-2008, 04:41 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Question "Leather" seats

I have an 07 GT with IUP and charcoal seats. As everyone here knows, they are "leather trimmed" as Ford puts it. I thought I knew which part was leather, and which part was not. I thought it was the central part with the small parallel "cuts" - the part that matches the door insert. But now that I have 49K miles on my car :-( , the center part looks more like vinyl or something, and the other parts - sides, edges, and headrest - look more like leather.

Okay, so now can you experts tell me for sure - which parts of my seats are real leather and which are not?
Old 12-30-2008, 06:15 PM
WhiteHorse94
2nd Gear Member

Basically anywhere your body would touch while seated in the seat. The perforated part and the trim on each side of that is leather. The sides (going toward the floor), the seat backs, and the entire rear seat is vinyl.

The vinyl will probably outlast the car, the leather leaves a lot to be desired
Old 12-30-2008, 07:50 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

I switched to leather seating only about 15 years ago and will never go back (kids helped with that decision).

Like anything, they take upkeep...but if conditioned regularly (like once a month) they will look like new in ten years. I have switched to the McGuire’s easy leather wipes. They do a great job and after 3-4 months of weekly use, the leather looks and feels fantastic.

I do agree...without work, the OEM quality is pretty poor..
Old 12-30-2008, 07:58 PM
sugarandopium
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
I switched to leather seating only about 15 years ago and will never go back (kids helped with that decision).

Like anything, they take upkeep...but if conditioned regularly (like once a month) they will look like new in ten years. I have switched to the McGuire’s easy leather wipes. They do a great job and after 3-4 months of weekly use, the leather looks and feels fantastic.

I do agree...without work, the OEM quality is pretty poor..
It is! So stiff.

I gotta try mcguires or something else.
Been conditioning the seats weekly, forget which brand, hasnt seemed to make much difference yet.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:03 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

The center is the vinyl, the sides are leather and the rears are all vinyl. the 2010's are all leather
Old 12-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I've been treating the entire seat as if it were leather.

I like Optimum Leather best, but Mothers works well too.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Atlanta_Tider
2nd Gear Member

I use saddle soap to clean the leather surface, then a good leather conditioner on top of that.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:29 PM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

Meguiars gold leather care is what i use!! So far they still looking good but the only problem is that it stinks!! I had a meguiars leather care in a red bottle but after i finished that one i think they maybe discontinued it cuz i could never find it again!! And that one smelled like leather!!
Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
The center is the vinyl, the sides are leather and the rears are all vinyl. the 2010's are all leather
Originally Posted by WhiteHorse94
Basically anywhere your body would touch while seated in the seat. The perforated part and the trim on each side of that is leather. The sides (going toward the floor), the seat backs, and the entire rear seat is vinyl.

The vinyl will probably outlast the car, the leather leaves a lot to be desired
Well, there's two opinions that disagree with each other. LOL Anybody know for sure?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

YES leather has to be cared for intensely to stay pliable, soft and uncracked.

There's not a week that goes by that I don't use some meguire's leather cleaner/wipes on them and seriously condition them every month.

My car is now 1 1/2 years old and a friend got in the other day... said WOW, it smells like new car.. smell that leather.. lol. I don't eat or smoke in it (drinking in it is another matter lol) and detail monthly. makes all the difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Leather" seats