Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Does your car leak? How? For S197 owners
My Mustang does not/never had any rain leaks.
71.03%
My Mustang has or had rain leaks but not like your pics
11.21%
YES! My Mustang has or had rain leaks LIKE your car
14.02%
My dealer (or someone) fixed a leak but NOT like yours
0.93%
YES! My dealer (or someone) fixed a leak like yours.
0.93%
My car is an '05
19.63%
My car is an '06
25.23%
My car is an '07
23.36%
My car is an '08
19.63%
My car is an '09
2.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Leak Poll, new improved, please everyone answer

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 06:40 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Never had mine look like that either.....that sucks.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:46 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I answered no leaks - but here in Mississippi it isn't below freezing much and when it is, it is usually without precipitation.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:56 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by murry
You should check, box: "not like mine"

The fact that there is variability between cars means it can be altered, diminished, or fixed. The fact that there is variability, leads me to believe that they are not "designed to drain there" as Ford claims.
this is the way ford designed the water sheeter. a $90k range rover is designed the same way. how you think i feel when i get to tell the owner "your truck is designed to do this." only thing you can do is make sure you a foot or so away when you open the doors after a rain. if it was a hard rain the water will splash on the ground and all over your leg. all 3 s197's ive had have done this. never had the issue with the door freezing shut though. sorry bout you troubles buddy. hopefully by starting this thread you will be able to go at ford and say yes the water is supposed to do this but my door should not be freezing stuck closed.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:08 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

No leaks here and PM sent!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:29 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Ok, so I will be Mr. Obvious Question here....I can see that the seep port is ok on the front of the door, but is the black plug removed from the rear seep hole? Just curious.....I know when Karen's Bullitt was delivered, it still had both plugs intact, as did my 05.....
Old 01-01-2009, 10:11 PM
murry
1st Gear Member

Default thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by shoeys08dkcandygt
this is the way ford designed the water sheeter. a $90k range rover is designed the same way. how you think i feel when i get to tell the owner "your truck is designed to do this." only thing you can do is make sure you a foot or so away when you open the doors after a rain. if it was a hard rain the water will splash on the ground and all over your leg. all 3 s197's ive had have done this. never had the issue with the door freezing shut though. sorry bout you troubles buddy. hopefully by starting this thread you will be able to go at ford and say yes the water is supposed to do this but my door should not be freezing stuck closed.

Are you a Ford tech? If they are all designed this way, why are the only two Mustang owners I know not having this problem. I personally hose tested one car and that car doesn't leak a drop.

Thanks for the tip about Land Rover, there's another vehicle to stay away from.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:13 PM
murry
1st Gear Member

Default plugs

Originally Posted by mlcrycc
Ok, so I will be Mr. Obvious Question here....I can see that the seep port is ok on the front of the door, but is the black plug removed from the rear seep hole? Just curious.....I know when Karen's Bullitt was delivered, it still had both plugs intact, as did my 05.....
The plugs were in originally but we took them all out early on in the hopes that that would accomplish something, it didn't.

If you look at the door edge you can see the water is dripping off the gasket and absolutely no water is coming out of the drain holes in the bottom of the door.

Last edited by murry; 01-01-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 AM
pat123
3rd Gear Member

I've never had any problems but I do not drive mine in the rain.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:51 AM
samus720
2nd Gear Member

Please check off the boxes in the poll. If I can show a large number of owners don't experience this...I can make them fix it.
Yeah, I did. I was the original respondent to your post and I DID check "Leaks, but not like yours."

Last edited by samus720; 01-02-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:10 AM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

Both my 07 and 09 both collect water in the door sills. All mustangs will leak water to some extent on to the sills if it rains hard enough. The water is not overflowing from inside the door; it comes in on the back edge of the door in seal aerial below the window.

It won’t normally leak during car washing unless you use a lot of water and it leaks best if the car is parked up hill slightly. It doesn’t rain hard enough in many areas of the US for the leak to show up and that’s why some owners don’t think they have the leak.

I did a lot of testing on my 07 before I took it to Ford to find the leak area. Ford’s local water leak guy said there is no fix for the problem along with Ford’s corporate office. The door seal design totally sucks. If you look at the seals along the back edge of the door below the window you will see that there is no way it can keep water out.

Most cars seal the door on the inside of the sill but not the good old Ford Mustang designers! Of course it didn’t stop me from buying my second Mustang.

Quick Reply: Leak Poll, new improved, please everyone answer