Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need feedback about the Ford Racing Superchargers..

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:48 PM
spdracer50

Well I wanna say thanks to everyone for there feed back.. I did some research and found out that the Ford Racing Supercharger and the Whipple Supercharger are estentially the same thing, you guys were right!

The Ford Racing SC does have more horsepower 550 compared to the whipple 500 horsepower. The Whipple is cheaper by 200 dollars but the ford racing SC comes with a 12k and 12 month warranty as long as you get it installed by the dealer before your 36k factory warranty runs out!

The numbers all look great but is that extra horsepower worth 7-8K installed? Do you guys really feel a night and day difference. Does the car leave you pinned back to your seat?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:21 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by oldguyrock
I installed the FRPP/Whipple on my 07 and tuned with the Ford Procal tuner. BAD detonation/pinging, and I mean BAD. I dont know if anybody else had this problem. You might have to get a Breenspeed or Bama tune. I talked to Ford racing about the problem and really got no help.
Actually the Ford procal tool that is used by many in the beginning is real rich and safe guarded in terms of how aggressive the tune is (timing etc). You throwing any "codes? Is everything installed correctly? Any gauges that give some vital readings like A/F ratio and fuel pressure? More info may help and any of the tune you mentioned will most definitely help in the tune and HP dept.

Originally Posted by spdracer50
Well I wanna say thanks to everyone for there feed back.. I did some research and found out that the Ford Racing Supercharger and the Whipple Supercharger are estentially the same thing, you guys were right!

The Ford Racing SC does have more horsepower 550 compared to the whipple 500 horsepower. The Whipple is cheaper by 200 dollars but the ford racing SC comes with a 12k and 12 month warranty as long as you get it installed by the dealer before your 36k factory warranty runs out!

The numbers all look great but is that extra horsepower worth 7-8K installed? Do you guys really feel a night and day difference. Does the car leave you pinned back to your seat?
I have the Whipple and the only regret I have is that I did not wait for the gen2 model that is more efficient!!!! If you bought the FRPP S/C I am sure you will have the most up to date model and at 55O HP (base hp not RWHP) that is alot of power. Many of the S/C companies advertise base hp and NOT rwhp.....just like car manufacturer's they speak in base HP not RWHP. So at the 11 psi I am running now and 465 RWHP it equals about 540 base hp with about 18% drivetrain loss.
So really your getting the same thing IMO and the extra 200 dollars for a warranty for 1 yr is great IMO cause if anything is going to go bad it will happen after install or shortly after.....at least this was my experience.

Lastly.....it will pin you into your seat or the tries will spin relentlessly with a 3.55 or higher gear set....I do know many that have 4.10's and you have to learn to feather the pedal once boosted and that is with any S/C or turbo.

Ok for example my car went from a small block V8 to "feeling like a big block V8" with a nice whine and with great TQ numbers IMO.....it is a night and day difference!!!!! You will not be disappointed. If you have the cash go for it!!!!

Tq moves the car forward and HP gives one the idea of the top speed of the car of course weight and drag limited (heavy non-aerodynamic cars)

The 8K was justified for me...that included the install, polished S/C, dyno tuning w SCT tuner and other supporting mods like new 60 lb injectors and the GT500 dual fuel pumps with driver module and LCA's (yet to be installed)
I am getting her forged in the future and hopefully before blowing the engine.....many will argue with this comment but our motors after 425-450 RWHP can and will lose some longevity and anyone that is not forged should have the coin so that if someday the motor blows (the rods are the weakest link) you can replace the motor and forge the internals so you can beat on the stang like a red headed step child!!!! I have read those that have blown their motors on the dyno for tuning to squeeze the most out of the S/C for said boost level and others that have 550RWHP (over 600 at the crank) and they had 25+ passes at the track and the motor is holding fine.....just something to consider before buying a 8K S/C..... don't let that stop you though Its more a matter of when when you add boost to a motor that was not designed for more than 400 hp.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:33 AM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Read the last line in my sig. I plan on getting a Twin Screw supercharger and I am currently thinking of the Kenne Bell 2.6L. With the Whipple price increase bringing it to more than the setup of the Kenne Bell, it is something that I would consider...unless I am missing something that the Whipple has and the KB doesn't aside from the warranty.

You can ask anyone here on the forums whether or not they think that their supercharger is worth the money. They will just say yes, with a giant grin on their face!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:09 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Delete...

Last edited by BruceH; 11-13-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

I always laugh how when people get an amazing deal but they don't know it's amazing they will treat it like they are buying a pair of shoes. "ah yes but is it worth the $89.95?" the thing is though that something like a pair of shoes actually costs $3 to make yet they still think they are getting a deal for $85 and in reality they are being ripped off. With superchargers it's not a rip-off because you have to make a serious piece of engineering and all superchargers are actually partly installed and tested at the factory by people under load too and the assembly of the internal parts is done by 4-8 full time people by hand too.

There's a reason this Whipple supercharger is so special but to be honest it's benefits are probably not up your alley.

I can set you up with a Saleen Series IV supercharger which will have a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty @ about $5000 installed in your area. The warranty would be from Saleen it self and they take over your vehicle warranty with claims resulting from the supercharger. This would give you 475 hp. It would probably be the best fitting option for you.

Last edited by Legion5; 01-06-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:57 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by Legion5
I always laugh how when people get an amazing deal but they don't know it's amazing they will treat it like they are buying a pair of shoes. "ah yes but is it worth the $89.95?" the thing is though that something like a pair of shoes actually costs $3 to make yet they still think they are getting a deal for $85 and in reality they are being ripped off. With superchargers it's not a rip-off because you have to make a serious piece of engineering and all superchargers are actually partly installed and tested at the factory by people under load too and the assembly of the internal parts is done by 4-8 full time people by hand too.

There's a reason this Whipple supercharger is so special but to be honest it's benefits are probably not up your alley.

I can set you up with a Saleen Series IV supercharger which will have a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty @ about $5000 installed in your area. The warranty would be from Saleen it self and they take over your vehicle warranty with claims resulting from the supercharger. This would give you 475 hp. It would probably be the best fitting option for you.
Are we selling on the forum? R U a sponsor now? PM each other only and take it out of the (loosely described) "tech" sections........thanks
Old 01-06-2009, 09:36 PM
blackS197
4th Gear Member

Whipple all the way. More boost potential then saleen, runs cooler than KB, and has the sweetest whine compared to those 2. Why you think i got one.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Boostaddict
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by spdracer50

Just to clear up any confusion the Ford Racing and Whipple High Output kits are the same. Whipple makes the supercharger and ford supplies things such as the spark plugs, injectors and GT500 fuel pump system. The kits are assembled and shipped from Whipple's facility in Fresno,CA. The tune you get when you buy either kit is also the same. The older kits were rated at 500hp. Only in the last few months did Whipple up the power rating to 550 as they are running slightly higher boost then before. The warranty is also only offered on the 400hp kit not the 550 one.

If you have any other questions please feel free to give us a call. The price increase actually turned out very good in favor of Whipple's direct distributors as we now buy them for less than what Ford does. We'll will match or beat any legitimate FRPP dealer who's advertising a Whipple kit lower than we are.

Thanks, Jared

Last edited by Boostaddict; 01-06-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:36 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackS197
More boost potential then saleen,
Not true with the Saleen SuperShaker. Also, the SuperShaker has a VERY loud whine. Much more than any whipple I've heard.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM
oldguyrock

[QUOTE=mygt500;5814894]Actually the Ford procal tool that is used by many in the beginning is real rich and safe guarded in terms of how aggressive the tune is (timing etc). You throwing any "codes? Is everything installed correctly? Any gauges that give some vital readings like A/F ratio and fuel pressure? More info may help and any of the tune you mentioned will most definitely help in the tune and HP dept.
QUOTE]

Believe it or not it was throwing lean codes. I took care of it though, traded it for the car pictured below. Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: I need feedback about the Ford Racing Superchargers..