Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kind of disappointed..

Old 01-06-2009, 11:19 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

sorry to hear this about you and Steeda
Old 01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
OEWheelsLance
Former Sponsor

+1 on the Hunter Road Force balance. If that doesn't fix it, a Hunter Road Force balancer can perform what is called a bare rim runout which will tell you if there is any imperfection with the wheels. They can print out a diagnostic for you on this as well.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:21 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Well thanks a lot guys for all of your input. It's greatly appreciated. I will look over everything that was posted again and then try to find another shop in the South Florida area that is capable of doing the balancing and etc. correctly. So basically a Hunter Road Force balance is a machine that balances your tires??

mygt500, I wasn't planning on going to Ford because of the fact that I have aftermarket wheels and tires so I wouldn't think that it's all under the warranty. Am I wrong? Also let's say I was to go into Ford to have them fix my issue with the wheels and tires; do you think I should remove my CAI and tune the car back to stock before I bring it in? Also, if I was to do that my CEL would be on because I'm running with no cats. Could this cause problems warranty-wise?

Thanks,
yc420
Old 01-06-2009, 05:30 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
The "spacers" I'm talking about are installed by ford on the factory line. They hold the brake rotors in place as the car is being built. Any time you run after market wheels these if not taken off can cause you issues as they will not allow that wheel to seat flush against the rotor.
I'd bet good money this is what the problem is.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:34 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Delete...

Last edited by BruceH; 11-13-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:37 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Any chance you still have the original wheels and tires to put on to eliminate either the aftermarket wheels and tires or the chassis as the cause of your vibrations?

I had something similar happen about 10 years ago. It turned out to be a bad tire. The bad tire was replaced with another tire that also went bad later on. I thought the tire had gone out of balance and when I took it in the tire guy couldn't balance it and spotted the tread seperation.
That's a good idea. I do have my stock wheels/tires in my back shed. I'm going to Steeda on Friday so I'll see if I could do that before then. If not, then I will have to wait until after. I do recall though that this problem occurred after the new wheels/tires were put on. Everything else in my sig that is from Steeda besides the CAI was also put on at the same time. Could any of those mods cause the problem or does it have to be within the new wheels/tires?
Old 01-07-2009, 07:20 AM
OEWheelsLance
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE=yc420;5816597]Well thanks a lot guys for all of your input. It's greatly appreciated. I will look over everything that was posted again and then try to find another shop in the South Florida area that is capable of doing the balancing and etc. correctly. So basically a Hunter Road Force balance is a machine that balances your tires??

It basically spins your wheel and tire at hight speeds while applying force to simulate driving conditions during balancing.

The bare rim run out is performed on the rim without the tire. It will tell you if there are imperfections within the wheel itself.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:51 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
Go to a really good balancing shop that uses Road Force equipment. Don't just look for proper balance, look for "Runout" as well. In other words, stand directly in front of the tire and watch the tread pattern as the wheel spins on the machine VERY CLOSELY. Make sure the grooves in the treads stay straight and don't deviate or wobble as the tire spins. Then stand next to the tire and see if it looks out of round as it spins. Even new tires can have excessive runout which can cause the shaking you're experiencing. Runout is best described as a deviation from a perfect circle. Runout can be VERY SUBTLE so look closely.

We did rebalance with roadforce using a Hunter machine. Road force was 6lbs on one wheel and 9lbs on the other.

As for the scratch on the wheel. It was a curb mark, plain and simple. We would not be doing our jobs if we did not investigate such things. Wheel sensors don't just fall off their cradles for no reason.

The sensor got beat up to the point where it is useless, so the sensor would not program and the tire pressure warning remains on.

I'm not here to get into a he said she said argument, but there are 2 sides to every story and at least wanted to post some facts from our end.

We did our best under the circumstances to take care of the issue. We will be glad to revisit why a vibration still exists in the vehicle, but I can tell you road force on the wheels is well within spec.

I'll be contacting you tomorrow to follow up on the issue.

Gus

Last edited by SteedaGus; 01-07-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:16 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by yc420
I'm kind of disappointed with the service from Steeda down here in Pompano, FL. I took my car there to get all of the Steeda mods that are in my sig except for the CAI. And I have had to go there 4 times already when I live almost 30 miles away from them. I keep going in because of the shaking that I get when driving. My whole car used to shake at like 50ish MPH and so I took it in so many times and it just kept happening. Then my "Tire Pressor Sensor Fault" message kept coming up and my "Low Tire Pressure" message and light just kept popping up. All of these problems happened at different times resulting me in having to go into Steeda. They even gave me 2 new front tires at one point in time. But the shaking just kept coming back. Especially at 80 MPH. When I say shake I mean SHAKE! I was driving on the highway one afternoon and not only was my steering wheel shaking, but my radar was shaking, and my seats! I looked over to my empty passenger seat and it was shaking like crazy. And you can feel it. Any how, I took it in today for the 4th time and told them about the problems (the clunking noise from the wheels when I would be driving under 5MPH and the shaking). The guy looks at my wheels and notices a tiny scratch on the front left wheel. He then goes and tells me I must of hit a curb. Honestly, I have never hit a curb with these new wheels/tires. And not only that, but if I would've hit a curb I guarantee that the scratch would've been bigger. I remember hitting a curb with the stock wheels/tires and you should have seen the scratch on that rim. Anyhow, I told him that and he just said you could have hit it going slow (blah blah blah). So anyhow, the mechanic takes my car, puts it on the lift, removes the front left wheel and what do you know the sensor is damaged and it was just floating around inside the rim (THE CLUNKING NOISE!). So the sales rep comes back out (Same one who told me I hit a curb) and tells me that it will cost me $130 for a new sensor. I said "If that's the case then leave it how it is and I will ignore the "Tire Pressure Sensor Fault" message and the clunking noise when moving under 5MPH. He says "Okay" and then 10 minutes later comes out and says "Mike(The mechanic)" came up with an idea. He said he could clamp the sensor to the piece that attaches it to the wheel so the clunking noise would go away. I said "Ok do it." So clunking noise is fixed but the sensor fault message is still there (That doesn't really bother me to be honest). So anyhow, the mechanic re-balanced my tires for the 4th time. Takes it for a ride and says there's a little nibble (slight shake) but it's nothing big. I drove it and said "I can live with that." Anyhow, so while I'm testing the car on the road near the facility my dad is inside talking to the sales rep. The sales rep wanted to charge me $45. My dad refused to and said he wanted to talk to the owner. The owner came out and told my dad "Don't worry about a thing, I'll take care of you." And then my dad said "You know between my car ('94 GT) and my sons car (my '08 GT) I've spent 9 grand with you guys. And this is what I get?" And then the owner said "Don't worry about anything, I'll take care of you. I'd hate to lose a customer over $45." So anyhow, My dad and I both agreed that we are done with going to Steeda for service. What I would like to know is, why does my car shake so badly? Is this normal? I could understand a little bit of steering wheel shake since it's a 9.5" rim but I don't think the front seats should be shaking. I really don't find that to be normal AT ALL. So any ways, they did reduce the shaking a lot.. UNTIL, I hit 80 MPH. At 80 the seats start shaking again and it just goes downhill from there. The steering wheel though, doesn't shake as much as it used to. Same with my radar which is mounted on my windshield. Halfway back to my house I let my dad drive my car and he came to the conclusion that it might be the rear wheels since the only thing drastically shaking now is the seats. Could this be possible? What is up with all the shaking? Am I wrong or is this not normal? I know people here are running some wide rims all around. I'm just curious.

Thanks to everyone who ends up reading my whole story and leaving there input. I just basically want to know what to do. ANY help is GREATLY appreciated. THANK YOU ALL in advanced.

-yc420
How bout a picture of the scratch?
Old 01-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Redsox401
2nd Gear Member

if you lowered it you should check your pinon angels you drive shaft could be sitting off a little causing vibration at high speed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kind of disappointed..