Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Havind a less than favorable experience with Custom Performance

Old 01-06-2009, 07:12 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

Default Havind a less than favorable experience with Custom Performance

Custom Performance in Concord, NC (right behind Lowes Motor Speedway)...Not so great...I went to have my LTs (and X) installed along with the cam and the dyno tune (quoted at $777.08)... Well I went to drop my car off on 12/20/2008, since I was to be on vacation until the 30th. Dale told me he would have my car ready for me when I come back... I had to order a cam from Brenspeed (best price) and had it delivered to the shop.. (it arrived that monday). I called a couple times while I was gone, no answer. I left messages and kept calling all the way until the 3rd of January! I finally reached him on Monday and he said he was on vacation, and apparently told me this before (i think not, since my mother called him and he told her that he told me and then i called him and he told me that he told her!)! And according to him the car needed some camshaft bolts that didnt come from the kit? And he took the liberty of ordering these without telling me (at $12 each and idk how many)... I asked when it would be done and he said today maybe and then he later said Wednesday! I asked for an up-to-date quote on what I'm paying, and he said to call him later since he was busy with another customer? And I call back and he said that he can't tell me today, so I might as well call back tomorrow?

Please tell me this isn't top notch customer service?

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at with these camshaft bolts or whatever? How many... since I already know how much... Since I for some reason can't be told by the shop...

Last edited by slowstang06; 01-06-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:17 PM
mustanglouie
2nd Gear Member

yeah you need two new bolts when you install new cams. Brenspeed has them on there site. 12 dollars a peice sound pretty close.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:25 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustanglouie
yeah you need two new bolts when you install new cams. Brenspeed has them on there site. 12 dollars a peice sound pretty close.
thanks i feel a little better that its only two
Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 PM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

Thats still really ****ty service.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

The shop did my turbo had it for 2 weeks longer than they thought they would have it before the car was done. Then they had to road test it and a storm came in that post poned that another week and a half. All together theyhad the car 5-6 weeks.

The same shop was able to do my rear end in one day and my entire clutch in one day.

The motor build began in May 15 or so and the shop got it done and I picked it up Sept 4 or so.

A lot of performance shops take much longer than what they say they. It just seems to be in the business.

It also is typical for them to order the parts you need that aren't brought into the shop.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:00 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

maybe i';m just bitter since I havent gotten it back yet... They did my gears within a day... (they whine a little though but not much) and he was able to get me MAC LTs and a Bassani catted X (shorty) for $425 all together
Old 01-06-2009, 09:19 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I think your in safe hands and Simon1 nailed it on it taking longer then expected. I had my S/C installed in a day towards the end of summer and was shocked that it was done ahead of time. Is the shop real busy when you went in for the quote? Is he one of the only guys that handles the S197's or are there other employees there too? Around the holidays IMO is the worst time to get anything modded on the car as life is busy for everyone at that time and things get postponed. I think they should have called you about a few things and maybe the dialog could have been better but as long as they know what their doing and have many repeat customers in the past and the future I think you went with the right shop.

All of us want it done now and with complete confidence in what the installer is doing and when it will be done. Plain and simple he is human too and we are all flawed in some way so just sit back and relax and enjoy the finished product when you receive it!

Patience is a virtue best used in situations like this....nothing is damaged or destroyed and your just not getting the car when promised......sure it sucks but the end result I am sure you will be happy with......
Old 01-06-2009, 09:35 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Simon1
The shop did my turbo had it for 2 weeks longer than they thought they would have it before the car was done. Then they had to road test it and a storm came in that post poned that another week and a half. All together theyhad the car 5-6 weeks.

The same shop was able to do my rear end in one day and my entire clutch in one day.

The motor build began in May 15 or so and the shop got it done and I picked it up Sept 4 or so.

A lot of performance shops take much longer than what they say they. It just seems to be in the business.

It also is typical for them to order the parts you need that aren't brought into the shop.
But you have to ask yourself: Are they pumpkin Jackers??

Hey, as a custom builder myself, it's impossible to estimate time on cue, on extensive mods.
Forget that.
Looks like they tried to make it up to you though...
Old 01-06-2009, 11:13 PM
slowstang06
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
I think your in safe hands and Simon1 nailed it on it taking longer then expected. I had my S/C installed in a day towards the end of summer and was shocked that it was done ahead of time. Is the shop real busy when you went in for the quote? Is he one of the only guys that handles the S197's or are there other employees there too? Around the holidays IMO is the worst time to get anything modded on the car as life is busy for everyone at that time and things get postponed. I think they should have called you about a few things and maybe the dialog could have been better but as long as they know what their doing and have many repeat customers in the past and the future I think you went with the right shop.

All of us want it done now and with complete confidence in what the installer is doing and when it will be done. Plain and simple he is human too and we are all flawed in some way so just sit back and relax and enjoy the finished product when you receive it!

Patience is a virtue best used in situations like this....nothing is damaged or destroyed and your just not getting the car when promised......sure it sucks but the end result I am sure you will be happy with......
actually i think i was the only business there.. they only have 1-5 employees at any given time, the most i've seen was just one other person in the garage and the guy at the front desk..

i'd be much more patient if i didnt have to drive my mothers boxster s as my DD... in the rain and having her hounding me and checking in on the car every 10 seconds (she's still nervous about how i totalled our vette last year)... the weather isn't helping
Old 01-06-2009, 11:26 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1

My car was down for a LLLLONG time, it comes with the territory though. Not trying to agree with their crappy service but cars are like people every one is different you can only estimate how long it will take from past experiences.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Havind a less than favorable experience with Custom Performance