Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok... whats going on here..

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:26 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Default Ok... whats going on here..

I just got my new tires/wheels on last night and i must say im kind of disappointed at the new tires. Theyre $350 per tire and i expected them to get amazing traction. They are BFG Comp T/A's 295/35/18. I got on it from like a 5-10mph roll and i spun all of 1st,all of 2nd, part of 3rd. I did this a couple times with the same outcome. Then on the highway at like 60-70mph i down shifted to 3rd & nailed it,lost traction again! WTF! Anyone else running this tire?

Anyway... heres a teaser pic i took with my phone this morning... ive got the sportlines installed in the front, but my rears still have the FRPP springs. I'll post a thread with more pictures once i get the sportlines on..

Last edited by whtcanbrwnd04u; 01-09-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:31 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whtcanbrwnd04u
I just got my new tires/wheels on last night and i must say im kind of disappointed at the new tires. Theyre $350 per tire and i expected them to get amazing traction. They are BFG Comp T/A's 295/35/18. I got on it from like a 5-10mph roll and i spun all of 1st,all of 2nd, part of 3rd. I did this a couple times with the same outcome. Then on the highway at like 60-70mph i down shifted to 3rd & nailed it,lost traction again! WTF! Anyone else running this tire?

Anyway... heres a teaser pic i took with my phone this morning... ive got the sportlines installed in the front, but my rears still have the FRPP springs. I'll post a thread with more pictures once i get the sportlines on..

Car is looking good man! As far as the tires, not trying to be snooty or anything, but a quick Google search on those tires ( because I've never heard anything about them ) and 5 minutes of reading has shown me that people owning ricers ( Integras etc. ) or in general, low hp low torque vehicles LOVED them. On the flipside, MANY people, including Mustang owners, HATED them, that had a decent amount of hp/tq to spin 'em. Research is everything My personal suggestion, the BFG KDW2's, $179 a piece on Tirerack.com and they are AMAZING tires IMHO. Even in the rain, normal driving ( which for normal for me is aggressive for most ) I didn't have ANY problems with them slipping or losing traction. Sorry bud
Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Car looks good! Where'd you get the tires from?

Selling the FRPP springs?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:34 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Derek, I read on tire rack that those tires have tons of road noise. Is that the case for you?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:35 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
Derek, I read on tire rack that those tires have tons of road noise. Is that the case for you?
Actually to be honest they do have a pretty good amount of road noise, noticeably more over stock, however, with a muffler delete and the radio pumped, I have zero road noise If you're a car guy, it wont bother you. Then again, I don't know anyone else that DD's their stang and has their D-Specs set to 3 turns out from all the way stiff hahaha... ( Maybe I'm just crazy )
Old 01-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

More expensive isn't always better... Sorry to hear that. Maybe give them a few miles to wear off any protectant that may be on them from the factory.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:39 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Thanks guys.

Derek,I have the kdw's up front and i thought the comp t/a's were a better traction tire and put that on the rear. Oh well, trial and error i guess. You think its worth just taking these off and trying to make some money back?

&& the FRPP springs are already sold
Old 01-08-2009, 02:41 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I agree with my kdw2s i have virtually no traction problems like you describe. I can stomp on it from a small role like that and the spin is minimal and the car just takes off. I even have a little more HP over you too...
Old 01-08-2009, 02:41 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by whtcanbrwnd04u
Thanks guys.

Derek,I have the kdw's up front and i thought the comp t/a's were a better traction tire and put that on the rear. Oh well, trial and error i guess. You think its worth just taking these off and trying to make some money back?

&& the FRPP springs are already sold
I just go by what I read, the overwhelming majority of the reviews I saw show that in our N/A HP range and above, they don't hook to well. I would sell 'em on a Honda or Acura forum and just get yourself a new set of KDW2's, Invos ( more $$ ) or ( depending on if you have a beater for DD ) get some DR's.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:46 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xxDerek
I just go by what I read, the overwhelming majority of the reviews I saw show that in our N/A HP range and above, they don't hook to well. I would sell 'em on a Honda or Acura forum and just get yourself a new set of KDW2's, Invos ( more $$ ) or ( depending on if you have a beater for DD ) get some DR's.
295s tucked under a honda?

I would love some DRs but, the stangs a DD. I want some KDW2s now. Lol.

Quick Reply: Ok... whats going on here..