Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What do I do?
Koni Yellows
62.50%
Pioneer AVIC-F700BT + Infinity Kappas
25.00%
If you think you have a better option, select this and explain in a post.
12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Stereo or Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Default Stereo or Suspension?

Hey guys, I'm having a real problem deciding what to upgrade. I'm tired of listening to CD's since I can't hook up an iPod ('05... no AUX input and can't stand FM transmitters) and can't help but just think about how crappy the stock speakers are when I'm in the car. I also love running AutoX and plan to do track days more often in the coming year and really want to put on some KONI Yellows.

Problem is, I don't have enough cash to do both. I work for an electronics retailer and am getting laid off this saturday with all of the other seasonal employees. I figured since I hadn't made up my mind yet, I should go ahead and get the stereo stuff while I have my discount and if I decide to do suspension, I can either return it or sell it. So today I bought a Pioneer AVIC-F700BT head unit and Infinity Kappa 2-way speakers for the front and rear and got all of the necessary wire harnesses and the dash kit. If I keep it, I can sell my Garmin Nuvi 660 and I have a friend that will sell me a 600W Alpine mono amp for really cheap. So if I wanted to spend a hundred or two dollars more, I could also add a 12" sub and amp (I actually went ahead and picked up a 4 gauge amp wiring kit just in case I decide to go this route). In a perfect world I would amp the speakers as well and replace the 8" subs in the doors, but I don't have enough coin to do everything right now. My main fear is that if I don't do the stereo now, I'll never do it because I won't be able to bring myself to spend more than $500 on just a head unit...

If I decide to go suspension I won't have any trouble recuperating the cost of the stereo stuff (could probably make quite a bit of money off of it if I wanted to flip it), so don't let the fact that I already have the stereo sway your decision. Don't let price sway it either as there isn't a very large price difference (if any at all).

So the basic question: Do I put on Koni Yellows to make it more fun to drive or do I upgrade my stereo system to make my car more enjoyable to ride in? I know they are two completely different categories of upgrades, but I can only do one and want to do both so I need y'all's help.

Last edited by Texotic; 01-08-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

it comes down to what is more important to you. You know, priorities? I would say that you are going to get more enjoyment for the most part out of the speakers because if you dislike the stockers, then that is obviously a priority for you. The suspension stuff is nice too, but do you actually need the KONIs to have fun driving your car? I suspect not. my .02
Old 01-08-2009, 04:46 PM
2008moosetang
1st Gear Member

I'd do the stereo now. You have the discount, and can get a nice setup. I'd wait on the suspension once you get another stable job, at least you'll have some good musice to listen to while your driving to interviews.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

The job thing isn't a big deal. I was just a seasonal employee to begin with so I could make some extra cash when I came home on the weekends and holidays since I'm broke while I'm at school. They told me if I wanted a part-time or full-time job, it was mine, but they were discontinuing their seasonal employee program to cut costs. I could take the part-time job, but my parents are paying my way through and have asked me not to work during the semester and focus on my studies. If I am unable to find an internship this summer, I'll be back at the same job. I knew it was coming and expected it, so I'm not upset about it or anything... well except that now I have to pay the 1000% markup on cables
Old 01-08-2009, 05:19 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I think you will be happy with either choice. I sound deadened my car to make the speakers sound better and I also have d-specs. Both of those are some of my favorite mods. I would hold off on the subwoofer in the trunk if you are doing auto-x or track events, b/c you will probably have to remove it for each event. Maybe a third option would be to add sound deadener to your doors and rear deck for better sound and then get some d-specs for handling, then you can have the best of both worlds... except for the ipod connection.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:35 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Get the speakers now. Don't get a head unit yet.

I wouldn't buy a head unit until stereo manufactures get enough of a clue to put a hard drive in there and have them operating on par with your average mp3 player. It is absolutely ludicrous that absolutely nobody makes a head unit with a hard drive that also receives AM/FM and plays cds. Bloody hell, I have a 4GB mp3 player the size of a match box, yet those big honkin head units STILL don't have any capacity or mp3 browsing ability worth mentioning.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

jahudso: If I do shocks/struts, I really want to go with the Konis. I don't think removing the sub would be a big deal... There's always a lot of guys that are pulling sub boxes out at every event. Honestly, I could probably sell the HU and get enough for the Konis and still keep the speakers. I'll have to look into it.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:16 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Koni's and speakers!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

well after checking ebay and seeing how cheap the same unit is, I think I'm going to return it. I'll then either get the Konis or get the F-90bt because I can get one of those with free shipping off of ebay for what I payed for the F-700bt with a Best Buy employee discount... ridiculous. I can't find the speakers as low as what I paid, though and will probably keep them.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:46 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

...or get a killer deal on the best speakers that Boston Acoustics makes...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110335669342

I'm selling those. They don't completely fit in the doors. They have 5x7 brackets, but the tweeter sits up a little too high. You can get the door panel back on minus a screw or two. I didn't want to do it.

Didn't try them out in the rear, but I think they would work since the rear isn't as tight.

Quick Reply: Stereo or Suspension?