Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nos and Traction control (air/fuel mix)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:22 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Default Nos and Traction control (air/fuel mix)

If the traction control reduces the throttle , would nos make the air fuel mix run lean while traction control is engaged ? Or will the computer still enrich the fuel?
Old 01-09-2009, 06:20 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

Why would you spray with traction control on?
Old 01-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GrayPony
Exactly what I was wondering
Old 01-09-2009, 05:18 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GrayPony
Do you mean turn it off ? Its a good safety feature if to have on but It only comes on if the tires are spinning right. Traction control would be a help at the drag strip if you are having spin problems with it off. Unless you have big bucks to buy a 2 or 3 step nos kit then the cheaper one stage kit is a better option .
You don't want to wait until the 60 ft mark at the strip to engage the nos (that's to many things to do constantly if you are in a bracket class . the next best thing would to have the nos on before you stage so when you floor it after launch the nos will kick in when the pedal is floored . If you have a good launch every time and you floor it right after launch then the traction control will probably kick in at the same time and place on the track. (Once the nos has kicked in .) I am sure that traction control will be much more effective at feathering the gas than a human would . Smoother to If you think that the nos would kick in and out if you feather the gas yourself .

I am thinking of bracket racing on a budget. Once you get past a certain point on the track the hp vs traction available will go the rest of the track without breaking the tires loose.

Professional drag cars at the highest level use adjustable traction control made for that use.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:35 PM
JimC

I've never tried leaving the TCS on with my "Zex" kit (a brand name like "NOS" which stands Nitrous Oxide System) at the track - at least not intentionally. During the burn out I can tell right away that it was left on inadvertently so it is off at the tree then. I wonder if the solenoid will detect the fuel flow and make the adjustment quickly enough if the TCS causes the engine to throttle back? I haven't seen anything anywhere else on the question, maybe it would be better not to have TCS engaged just in case.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:17 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
I've never tried leaving the TCS on with my "Zex" kit (a brand name like "NOS" which stands Nitrous Oxide System) at the track - at least not intentionally. During the burn out I can tell right away that it was left on inadvertently so it is off at the tree then. I wonder if the solenoid will detect the fuel flow and make the adjustment quickly enough if the TCS causes the engine to throttle back? I haven't seen anything anywhere else on the question, maybe it would be better not to have TCS engaged just in case.
The Zex kit, Dose it totally rely on your factory injectors to enrich the air/fuel ratio ?
I have been thinking that at a minimum to be safe I would need a nos kit that has the correct fuel enrich that matches the nos output .( like the way you used to have to do it on a carb setup )That way when the TC reduces the throttle It will have the correct Ratio no matter what.

I know these numbers are theoretical .
An example of what would happen would be If the car was putting out 200hp at a certain Rpm without nos. And the next time at the same point a 125hp nos kicked in (That would be 325hp ) but if the wheels are spinning enough to kick in the TC and the throttle reduction would normally reduce to 130hp due to less air and fuel .So this would make the new total 130hp+125shot=255hp That would be a 55 hp increase over the 200hp without nos .
But once you got traction the process would start over again until the Hp with nos numbers meet up with the available tire traction .

At some point with a very large nos output the nos would completely over power the TC and you would get wheel spin any way. The key would be to find the correct nos output without over powering the Tc at lower speeds.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:03 PM
JimC

My Zex kit adds fuel right from a tap to the fuel rail, and Zex uses a one piece management unit to control the fuel and nitrous based upon the pressure and fuel flow. The injectors are just sending the tach signal to my window switch; everything flows directly into the CAI

At least that is how I understand it works.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:39 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Well since you don't want to hit the rev limiter with the nitrous engaged it would follow spraying with TC on would also be a problem. Remember the TC is going to cut power (fuel) to the motor, but the solenoids are still wide open on the nitrous system (both fuel and Nitrous on a wet kit). At the very least it would be counter productive and at the very worse cause some serious damage to your motor.

If your looking for consistency perhaps a progressive controller would be a little more useful and at $150.00 a cheap investment.

Also you are correct that some levels of racing use traction control (it's illegal in certain classes SSo for one). However, there is a BIG difference in a "TC Easy" controlling a car through a Big Stuff and the Ford PCM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
My Zex kit adds fuel right from a tap to the fuel rail, and Zex uses a one piece management unit to control the fuel and nitrous based upon the pressure and fuel flow. The injectors are just sending the tach signal to my window switch; everything flows directly into the CAI

At least that is how I understand it works.
Sounds real nice.
I think I read somewhere that the zex setup puts the right amount of fuel to the right amount of nos and adjust the fuel/nos ratio no matter what your bottle pressure or fuel pressure .( I forgot about that until your post )
I could be wrong but the fact that it flows fuel and nos to your CAI .You should be OK because it is always has the right mix coming out the injector in your CAI ( it dose flow both right?)
How much is that kit?
So it cuts the nos on at a certain rpm ? Is that what the window switch dose ? Is the window switch programmable to different RPM"S?

One more thing I wonder about is if the TC backs off the throttle dose the ZEX detect that you are not at full throttle and cut off because I assume it has to be wide open to even be on at all.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PLstang
Well since you don't want to hit the rev limiter with the nitrous engaged it would follow spraying with TC on would also be a problem. Remember the TC is going to cut power (fuel) to the motor, but the solenoids are still wide open on the nitrous system (both fuel and Nitrous on a wet kit). At the very least it would be counter productive and at the very worse cause some serious damage to your motor.

If your looking for consistency perhaps a progressive controller would be a little more useful and at $150.00 a cheap investment.

Also you are correct that some levels of racing use traction control (it's illegal in certain classes SSo for one). However, there is a BIG difference in a "TC Easy" controlling a car through a Big Stuff and the Ford PCM.
What $150 dollar progressive controller do you recommend ? I like the AEM one but it is way over 150.
9.21 wow that's fast!! Right now the only way I am going to go that fast in the next few years is when by dad finishes his 1988 Sunbird RWD motor . Its a rolling chassis with a 9 inch ford with a 4 link rear end setup and pinto rack a pinion steering on the front. so its part ford I'm part time driver.

Quick Reply: Nos and Traction control (air/fuel mix)