Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting a new Stng: Stick or Auto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:46 PM
TenaciousH

Default Getting a new Stng: Stick or Auto?

I know this has been done before and it pretty much boils down to personal preference but I'm still on the fence, so if you guys can jsut humor me for a bit and give me your two cents on a few things...

I'll be 20 this summer and i go to school in Virginia. Great area with lots of fun roads to drive (I'm currently in a tricked out 4.6l Explorer), so a Mustang might be just right. I'll be getting a vista blue convertible GT, I just dont know if I should get a stick or stay with auto.

I've never really driven stick, but I'll learn quickly so I'm not worried about that. I just need to figure out if it's really worth the "driving experience" to get a stick:
  • Does the stick ever get old? even with all that power?
  • I'll be making mods, is a stick an advantage there?
  • Are there more "cool" things you can do with a stick that you just CANT with an auto? (burning out, etc).
  • Is it always a hassle trying to find a DD who can drive stick if you've been drinking? (lets be realistic...)
  • I understand the numbers are virtually identical, its just a matter of making a decision, and I need all the tips I can get.

Thanks a lot in advance fellas, and I'll be around a lot so its good to be here.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:32 PM
societymx
1st Gear Member

Stick. I have an auto because my wife can't drive a stick (something about that sounds wrong). There's nothing like a stick. Then get a short throw shifter and you're in business.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:39 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

i have a stick...its fun, but im swapping in a built auto.... stick is great for curvy roads and roll racing etc, but for a track car the auto is more consistent and its less abuse to the drivetrain... i just spent $250 fixing my rear end *i did the labor myself, cant imagine if i had to pay someone* because of drive train shock...i dont blame it on it being a stick, but if the car was an auto im sure it would have lasted longer.... also take into consideration if anyone else will be driving it... my gf cant drive either of my cars so whenever we go somewhere its a pain in the *** because we have to borrow my moms car so she can drive it *my license is suspended*...theres a fair amount of people who cant drive stick....

fun factor: stick
drag racing: auto
road racing: stick
convenience: auto
consistency: auto
"more" dependability: auto

i dont regret buying my car as a stick, because its been fun...but im dropping in a motor with twice as much hp and tq as what i have now, and ill be more than ready for the auto

also, with a stick a short throw is a must...but if you get an auto, be ready to buy a nice torque converter and have it tuned and have the shift points set... idk what a stall costs on these new cars, but one for my c6 is about 300 bucks...and a tune usually ranged from 300-600, or you can get a handheld for the same price and do it yourself
Old 01-09-2009, 06:00 PM
societymx
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
...but if you get an auto, be ready to buy a nice torque converter...
I was gonna ask if someone has an auto with an aftermarket torque converter, because when I had my Harley Davidson F150 (automatic tranny) I was told that you can't get the kind of performance increase from any other single mod as with a torque converter.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:09 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Well I have owned an auto 2005 Mustang and now have my 2006 Manual.
Obviously the auto would be less work driving, not having to work a clutch, etc. But the fun factor goes way way down in my opinion.

I actually learned how to drive a manual on my Mustang, I was 20 at the time. Now its just second nature driving it, not having to concentrate on when or how to shift. This may not be very impressive to most, but theres nothing like downshifting into 2nd going 40, poping the clutch and spinning the tires a bit.

So its really a toss up as far a +'s and -'s, really depends mostly on how/when you want to drive it I suspose.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:11 PM
CBSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99BlackPonyGT
...theres a fair amount of people who cant drive stick....
Also look at it this way, less of a chance you car could be stolen.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Stick. Way more fun and makes you feel more part of the driving experience. And as they say, you ride an auto but you DRIVE a manual.

And the battle rages on...
Old 01-09-2009, 08:18 PM
BluStangOwnr

Absolute Stick, all the way. As a young, red blooded American male you are going to enjoy controlling the shift points on any muscle car. That's really any American male for that matter. Now chances are if you've been driving a stick for years already, maybe you'd be ready for a break. But for someone who is new to a manual transmission, your heart will pound just a little harder every time you climb into the driver seat. My wife can't drive a stick either. But when I got my 08 GT, while we were married, I told her to forget we even had the GT when it came to her driving. NEGATIVE-A beginner in a manual may encounter problems in daily traffic when stopping at intersections on any type of grade/slope. Make sure you have plenty of practice before taking your new car out and accidentally rolling into the front of someone. I've seen it happen time and time again. Beyond that, I don't think there any negatives. When driven appropriately a manual transmission will actually get better gas mileage and conserve your brakes(down-shifting). But who cares about gas when buying a mustang. Am I right? Then, when you're ready to change your exhaust system, make your performance upgrades(CAI, shifter, tune, s/c) or whatever, your enjoyment will only increase. I guarantee it!
Old 01-09-2009, 08:37 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

manual valve body auto ftw
Old 01-09-2009, 10:08 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Both

Quick Reply: Getting a new Stng: Stick or Auto?