Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Got My New Mustang...a bitter sweet symphony!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:37 AM
FinallyHappy
1st Gear Member

Oh, I forgot one thing. When I read the strategy code back to American Muscle they told me that it matched what they were using as my current PCM code. I dunno!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:41 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Welcome brother! Sounds like you got a great deal on the car. Any pics?
Old 01-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Let us know how things work out. If you read the strategy code to AM off the tuner AND that's what they're writing the new tunes against, then you SHOULD be good to go. In the event that doesn't work, I strongly recommend a call to Brenspeed. Seems they can work magic in those situations. Besides, Brenspeed or Bama tunes are typically more custom and aggressive than those from A-M.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

So. 17 grand eh?

The resale value of my car just hit the dumpster. God I wish I had wated a year before buying.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:15 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Riptide
So. 17 grand eh?

The resale value of my car just hit the dumpster. God I wish I had wated a year before buying.
yah i hear ya. i was thinking about this yesterday but then i realized i'd be way behind the power curve and starting with a stock GT again. Not sure if i could do that knowing how much time, effort, and money i've put into it. Although my bank account would be a little better off If you dont plan on selling it ever, like me, you have nothing to worry about anyway. its got its pros and cons
Old 01-10-2009, 08:42 AM
FinallyHappy
1st Gear Member

Yeah, after it was all said and done, no one could figure out why the tuner would attempt to upload the tune, but then it would get clear to 99% and then it would say, "wrong vehicle, tune failed". After hours of phone conversations with American Muscle and SCT, they both came to the conclusion that they would send me out a BRAND new Tuner. I guess here recently there was a newer version released, so they are going to send me out that one with the custom tune.

So, if I were to get a tune from Bama or Brenspeed, how much would it cost me for them to send me tunes even though I didn't buy they tuner from them.

17 grand...I'm thinkin' I lucked out with that deal. Especially because it only has 4,xxx miles on it. I'd like to hook up the Shaker 500 head unit to my iPod Touch, but I don't see one of those auxiliary jacks in the glove box like some Mustangs have on them. Ah well, whataya gonna do.

I'll put some pictures up when I get all my body scoops installed. I'm really hoping they look as good as some of your guys' do!!! By the way, thanks for all the input…some of you Mustang forum vets are probably sick and tired of us newbie’s coming in here asking the same questions you’ve heard forty-seven million times before!! So…THANKS AGAIN!!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:50 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by FinallyHappy
I physically hooked up the tuner and read American Muscle the strategy code that was shown on my tuner. I'm not sure how to tell if the computer was reflashed or not. I did notice a sticky (thanks for the explanation earlier) that had a bunch of computer codes and their respective strategy codes shown with their updated codes. I'm so confused with this computer stuff that it's driving me insane!!
Welcome to the boards...

You'll get used to the computer stuff, except maybe, for that stupid fly by wire.
I miss the old school stuff on a bunch of issues.
You might want to reprogram everything from scratch and take it from there.

Good luck with the car...
Old 01-10-2009, 09:09 AM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FinallyHappy

So, if I were to get a tune from Bama or Brenspeed, how much would it cost me for them to send me tunes even though I didn't buy they tuner from them.

One Bama tune cost me $50 - I could have gotten 3 for $115. I don't knoww if these prices are current. I got my tuner, CAI, and 3 custom tunes from Brenspeed as a package deal, so I don't know how much their tunes are individually. You can go to their websites and look. Also - Congratulations!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:13 AM
vaporstang
2nd Gear Member

Another thing to consider with the custom tunes is to have one for 87 octane in case you have to travel and are not sure if other octanes are available at your destination or along the way....
Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 AM
FinallyHappy
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely get a 87 octane tune. What's weird about my neck of the woods (Kansas City, KS) is that the highest octane fuel that is readily available is 91. I know of one gas station around me that has 92 octane, and one that is about 30 minutes from me that carries 93 octane. While we are on the subject of octane...I know that Ford recommends BP or Shell gas. Around here (and in several other states as well) Quik Trip is a HUGE gasoline/convenience store chain. They advertise their gas being top-notch. Do any of you that live in areas with Quik Trips use their gas??

Quick Reply: Just Got My New Mustang...a bitter sweet symphony!