Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Got My New Mustang...a bitter sweet symphony!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 10:52 PM
FinallyHappy
1st Gear Member

Cool Just Got My New Mustang...a bitter sweet symphony!

So, for the past year I've been driving around in a 1999 Mustang LX. The 3.8 V-6 left a lot to be desired. I put a CAI and an exhaust system on it. Fuel economy was good...it was fun to drive. My two kids (6yrs & 4yrs) thought that Daddy's "Stang" was the coolest thing on planet earth. I, however, was DYING to get the 05-09 body style.

After much deliberation with the significant other, I found myself a 2006 Mustang GT, 5spd. I absolutely stole this bad boy. I paid $16,995 for it. It's loaded and only has 4,785 miles on it. It is Torch Red Clearcoat Metallic in color...it has black leather, Shaker 500 sound, 18" factory wheels and all the other goodies that you all know and love about our beloved Mustangs. I just love this car...and to make it even sweeter, my kiddos love it even more! So, on with what I've done to the car.

I just installed a catted X-Pipe and a cat-back exhaust system from Pypes. It sounds AMAZING and I could feel (and hear) a BIG difference in acceleration. I've currently got those quarter window side scoops, quarter panel scoops, and a hood scoop being professionally baked, prepped, fit, and painted to match. Here's where I get a little frustrated and the "bitter sweet symphony" portion of my title will soon be explained.

My Cold Air Intake/Tune package. Dear God and sweet baby Jesus have I had the HARDEST time with this set-up. I ordered the Steeda Cold Air intake combined with the SCT SF3 tuner kit from AmericanMuscle.com. It took me all of 30 minutes to get the intake installed. Very simple, very easy. Now, I go to load this "custom tune" that American Muscle loaded on the tuner for me. I go through all the steps and I kept getting this "wrong vehicle" error message as it attempted to upload the tune. I'd then flash the PCM back to stock and try again. Still, same error message. So, I call American Muscle and they are helpful…very, very helpful. I ended up having to get on the phone with SCT and they were great as well. Basically, everyone did as much as they possible could given the situation. They were on the phone with me for an hour trying to figure this thing out. They even did a remote connection and reformatted my entire Tuner Unit, and it still didn't work. I verified that my strategies matched with what American Muscle had, but still, same error message. So, I called American Muscle back and they said they'd overnight me brand new tuner with my custom tune on it. So, I had to install the factory intake so I could drive it for the next few days. I still haven't received the tuner yet, but I'm hoping that my computer in the car isn't the issue. We'll see!

So, if anyone has any suggestions as to what may be the issue with my tuner problem, lemme know your thoughts. Also, keeping in mind that this car is my daily driver, what other modifications would you all suggest to squeeze as much power outta this vehicle?
Old 01-09-2009, 11:11 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Congrats on the new Pony

I dont know how well the tunes are from AM but, maybe consider getting custom tunes from say BAMAchips or Brenspeed, that'll get you going really nicely. Some new gears will get you some more GO as well, either some 3.73s or 4.10s. Depending on how much you wanna squeeze outta her, you can always S/C her

Good luck!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:45 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Yeah definitely get a new tune from Bamachips. I picked up the same setup in mid 2005 (one of the few intakes on the market at the time), and the tune didn't do much. Picked up a Bamachips tune and it was a world of difference!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

It's not too uncommon for the strategy code of the PCM to NOT match the sticker if a dealership did a reflash prior to you buying it. I believe there's a write-up in one of the stickys...
Old 01-10-2009, 12:36 AM
FinallyHappy
1st Gear Member

Sorry to ask, but what is a sticky, and how do I browse them? Why would a dealer flash the computer of a car that only has 4,000 miles on it?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FinallyHappy
Sorry to ask, but what is a sticky, and how do I browse them? Why would a dealer flash the computer of a car that only has 4,000 miles on it?
stickies are the threads that are permanently on top of the other threads, there is a thumb tack beside them and they will appear at the top of the list of threads in a sub forum. Normally helpful or important threads are posted as stickies in order to help our other members. as for the second part of your question, i have no idea.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:32 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

When you say you "verified" your strategy code do you mean you just looked at the sticker on the PCM? If so, I'd bet the farm that's your problem. You car has probably been reflashed. Especially if you bought it used.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:46 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

I would have gone with Bama for the SCT combo pack.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:22 AM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Well I hope you get your problem straightened out. Never the less congrats on your new purchase, and welcome to the forums. Keep us informed on the outcome.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:32 AM
FinallyHappy
1st Gear Member

I physically hooked up the tuner and read American Muscle the strategy code that was shown on my tuner. I'm not sure how to tell if the computer was reflashed or not. I did notice a sticky (thanks for the explanation earlier) that had a bunch of computer codes and their respective strategy codes shown with their updated codes. I'm so confused with this computer stuff that it's driving me insane!!

Quick Reply: Just Got My New Mustang...a bitter sweet symphony!