Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauges and pods. Experience please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:07 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Default Gauges and pods. Experience please.

Delete...

Last edited by BruceH; 11-13-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

hey Bruce... I was considering a 3-gauge set-up for my pending SC, but stumbled on a good deal for a pair of Aeroforce gauges. In chatting with the guy who had them before, he actually switched out an Autometer set-up for these.

Although not installed yet, I plugged them in last week and really love the functionality and flexibility. I just bought his MAP for getting boost and will be ordering the Innovate Wideband controller and will monitor the rest via the ODB output. Also will be using a pillar pod.

Obviously this does give you real world feedback, but the approach I am taking... but the guy who sold them to me really liked how they worked for monitoring his Saleen blown car.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:32 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Yes, the boost gauge taps into the vacuum line. I went with the Speed of Sound dash panel.....with Autometer gauges.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:43 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Im using a aeroforce gauge to monitor most of the vitals of the engine.Coolant temps,oil pressure,Gas, RPM and a few others like voltage. its a very simple install. I also added the oil pressure which requires a sender unit to be installed down where the factory one is by the oil filter.Its an added peice you have to buy seperate fromt he gauge.

I am also running a AEM wideband and AEM boost gauge/controller. All the wiring is pretty easy, there is a huge spot behind the driver side tire that you can pass all the wires thru.

Aeroforce is a good gauge, just be aware of the things you have to buy seperate to get certain functions to work, if you want the boost to work off the aeroforce you have to buy thier sensor,if you want the oil pressure to work you also have to buy thier sensor.

As far as pods go, im suing the autometer, its ok, i was using one from ebay made by the glow shift people and the fit was awful.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

ive got autometer cobalt gauges and im very happy with them, the blue is a good match with the rest of my dash.

all you need is a t-fitting to tap into a vaccum line for the boost gauge to get it to read. as far as the rest of the mounting/wiring, i got the sos a pillar pod. its a direct replacement to your oem one, just realize that it is not a solid molded piece, sos just takes another stock a pillar and rivets/drills pods into them. the only problem i had is i couldnt mount the boost gauge in the top pod; the fitting w/ the nylon tubing on the back of the gauge starts past the hole back into the a pillar; i had to drill 2 small holes in the back of the pod and back into the pillar to avoid bending the tubing.

i used the head/foglamp switch to power the gauges, the assembly pulls right out and you can feed wires through the top of the dash once you pull the a pillar out. this will let you dim the gauges along with the rest of the interior dash lights too. i ran the ground into the engine bay to the top of the strut tower.

Last edited by Devil Wolf; 01-11-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-11-2009, 12:16 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Devil Wolf
ive got autometer cobalt gauges and im very happy with them, the blue is a good match with the rest of my dash.

all you need is a t-fitting to tap into a vaccum line for the boost gauge to get it to read. as far as the rest of the mounting/wiring, i got the sos a pillar pod. its a direct replacement to your oem one, just realize that it is not a solid molded piece, sos just takes another stock a pillar and rivets/drills pods into them. the only problem i had is i couldnt mount the boost gauge in the top pod; the fitting nylon tubing on the back of the gauge starts past the hole back into the a pillar; i had to drill 2 small holes in the back of the pod and back into the pillar to avoid bending the tubing.

i used the head/foglamp switch to power the gauges, the assembly pulls right out and you can feed wires through the top of the dash once you pull the a pillar out. this will let you dim the gauges along with the rest of the interior dash lights too. i ran the ground into the engine bay to the top of the strut tower.

Using the SOS pillar pod is a PIA!!!!!! Trying to route the vac line to the gauge is near impossible without modifying the pod its self. I had to use the bottom pod and do some drilling/cutting to get the line in without bending it.

I have Auto meter cobalt mech. vac/boost, wideband a/f, and elec. fuel pressure in a SOS Tripple Pillar.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

for pods SOS is the best looking/fitting stuff out there. their customer service is second to none as well

for gauges, the Aeroforce are very good IMO with dual readouts per pod with the ability to have analog signals as well

Old 01-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cobra443
I had to use the bottom pod and do some drilling/cutting to get the line in without bending it.
haha, thats cool that im not the only one that ran into this problem and we both came up with the same solution.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:45 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

See my sig; the boost/vac is a mechanical, with a vacuum line running to the pod (no issues). The wires and vac line are run behind the brake booster through the silverish tape-covered section (it's a nice hole for running wires and lines there!).

I hooked up the vacuum to the purge solenoid by the fender; didn't want to tap into the vacuum at the fuel pressure sensor.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

^i ran everything through to the engine bay using the same silverish tape/rubber section you did, but i thought that was were the clutch pedal would go on a manual?

do you guys with 5 speeds have that same 'cut out' section?