Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Rid of that Spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:31 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Default Getting Rid of that Spare tire

So I have been thinking of dumping the spare tire from the trunk to cut weight, but since my car is a DD I dont want to go without anything.

So does anyone know the part number of the pump/patch kit from the GT-500?

Cheapest Place?

Tried to search but work web filters make it tough and I want to get this ordered.

Thanks,
Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Pilates, HIIT, a hearty breakfast, eat frequently, ironically calories aren't a huge point of focus, and.....oh - patch kit. Beats me.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:04 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I'm thinking I may do the same thing. I'd prob use AAA before I drove on the space saver anyways.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:15 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

I have no idea why Ford would not put a spare tire in the cars that they build. Cheapness mostly I guess. If it's due to weight savings, that's b s. Who cares how about 40 lbs when driving down the road every day, has anybody ever had a blow out at 70 mph? Not much left of your tire by the time you get stopped right? I don't think your can of fix-a-flat is going to help much. Then you call the auto club, they come out and tow your car someplace so you can spend two times the cost of the tire after sitting on the side of the highway for 4 hours. Sometimes I just scratch my head at the Big 3. If you go to a a track, it takes 5 mins to pull a space saver spare out of the trunk and a GT500 is a bit portly anyways right?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Honestly as a DD I wouldn't do it. If you are going to the track that is one thing but anywhere else its not a great idea. Sure a patch kit or tire slim might fix your problem if you have a puncture, but anything else and you could be screwed. Just last week my fiance rolled off the side of a curb w/ left front tire that bubbled out and soon split wide open. If we didn't have the spare we would have had to get a tow home. BTW, the car only had 4800 miles on it so I was none too happy when I had to buy a new tire the next day.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 AM
schapman
4th Gear Member

you can purchase the kit at: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38

"Buster" the donut tire Ford puts in the mustang wont fit on the front wheel of the GT500.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 AM
cobraa99
2nd Gear Member

"have no idea why Ford would not put a spare tire in the cars that they build. Cheapness mostly I guess. If it's due to weight savings, that's b s. Who cares how about 40 lbs when driving down the road every day, has anybody ever had a blow out at 70 mph? Not much left of your tire by the time you get stopped right? I don't think your can of fix-a-flat is going to help much. Then you call the auto club, they come out and tow your car someplace so you can spend two times the cost of the tire after sitting on the side of the highway for 4 hours. Sometimes I just scratch my head at the Big 3. If you go to a a track, it takes 5 mins to pull a space saver spare out of the trunk and a GT500 is a bit portly anyways right?"

did i miss something....ford does provide the spare

Last edited by cobraa99; 01-15-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the comments, especially for Schapman for answering my question.

As to the discussion I started here is my 2 cents.

My car is a DD, 50 miles round trip to work. In 13 years of driving I have only had 1 flat and it was a puncture. The spare will be kept at my house so i have to option to go and get it if I want. My wife stays at home and my sister lives 5 mins from me so in general I will only be no more than 25 miles from my spare.

I totally recognize that I am taking a chance of getting stuck or having a problem but I am ok with that. I feel like my motor is on the hairy edge and if my motor goes pop I am really SOL.

Also I am not worse off than a guy in a GT-500 or Bullitt (I believe they dont have a spare either but not 100%).

Its a roll of the dice and to save 40lbs I am willing to take it.

I am also looking into relocating my battery to the trunk and I would like to but it in the spare tire well, or if that does not work I might put a sub box in there.

Thanks,
Old 01-15-2009, 11:51 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Sorry Just opened the link wow $80 that not as cheap as I thought it would be.

Any other places that have them. Was kind of looking for one someone removed from a GT-500 or from a wrecked one.

Thanks,
Old 01-15-2009, 01:02 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

yea, not cheap but cheaper than the ford dealer. I think I paid around $140 for the pump, foam that the pump sits in and the ring to secure in the the back. Also, if you ever use it to fix a flat you will need to purchase the $25 hose and canister again.

cobraa99 - the GT500 doesnt come with a spare.

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
Sorry Just opened the link wow $80 that not as cheap as I thought it would be.

Any other places that have them. Was kind of looking for one someone removed from a GT-500 or from a wrecked one.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Getting Rid of that Spare tire