Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What car to get?NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:35 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

See if you can get on your parents insurance. Also make sure they are setting the deductible to something reasonable and not 1000 dollars. I wasnt 17 but I was 21 living at home when I got my first car (03 g35) and I used to pay 3k a year for that thing. Now I hardly pay 2k for my 05 gt and 07 fusion (aka beast.. 4cyl). It really depends on the company you go with.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

It would absolutely be worth the wait for the GT. Get the car, enjoy it stock for awhile while you save up money for mods, and then when you do start modding, you'll see more gains.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:17 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Two ways to go here, one is get a v6 and turn it into a Terlingua by adding a blower etc, or go for something old school like a '67 coupe, put a FI HO motor on it. INsurance on old cars is dirt cheap, they are easy and cheap to fix, tons of hot rod parts etc
Old 01-16-2009, 05:11 PM
clentonz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fakesnake
Two ways to go here, one is get a v6 and turn it into a Terlingua by adding a blower etc, or go for something old school like a '67 coupe, put a FI HO motor on it. INsurance on old cars is dirt cheap, they are easy and cheap to fix, tons of hot rod parts etc
Not trying to seem like a *** or anything; or saying what you say, is not true...and I apologize if it comes off that way....But, I think those two options are not the best way to go for a 17 year old male as his first car....

Putting a supercharger on a car takes a lot more knowledge of cars in general, than for example putting on a CAI, etc. I don't know you, and you could probably put one on blindfolded(I know I couldn't); but I doubt the OP has that kind of knowledge. I mean, it sounds awesome..."just throw a supercharger on, and you will be just as fast, if not faster than a GT"..But than you have to factor in the negatives of doing this...

-It will most likely void any warranty on the car, and a V6 + supercharger = no money(for him) for any random problems/breaks that could happen.

-It will reduce his reliability...I know this can be argued both ways, but imo, a stock 06 stang(with maybe some appearance mods) is just not going to be as reliable as a supercharged/any modified stangs. And as mention above, if anything were to go wrong; he wouldn't have much $$$ to fix it.

-Gas mileage, which is not bad at all right now ; but it will go back up....Wish it wouldn't, I'm loving this!

-I think the OP was looking for more of "appearance" mods than go fast mods, if he got a V6. IMO, I just think that putting a supercharger on is going to take A LOT more general car/mechanical knowledge, patience, "off the road time", etc. than the avg. 17 possess/can handle....

And with the old school muscle car option, which also sounds good....Is going to have the same problems as above, plus a worse ride, more reliability issues, lack of "modern amenities", etc.

But again, this is only my opinion, and I do not mean anything by it at all; I just think that there are better options for this specific situation/person/first car/etc. But, if these were options for a 30+ year old mechanic/whoever with a beater to drive around while the car is being worked on/if anything goes wrong, had plenty of knowledge and time on his hands, etc. than I would be right there with you backing you up Sorry, this sounds really mean, please take no offense to it; I hope you don't take it that way...

dbirdrm, I think that you should defiantly wait for/do whatever it takes, for a GT. You mentioned that you haven't even got your license yet, have you ever driven/been in a S197; V6 or GT? If you have than great, if not...I HIGHLY suggest it; after you test drive each one....you will defiantly have your choice

IMO, usually I would be preaching, "your to young, you will get in a wreck and get hurt, etc"....But I'm not your mother; that's her job. Anyone, 16 or 50, can get in a wreck in any car; regardless of hp.....All I'm saying is, whatever car you get, please respect it; all it takes is one slip up.....

On a lighter note, I am in a very similar situation as yourself...I have about $13k-14k to spend, my car just took a dump on me; and I am searching as we speak for a 05-06' GT 5spd. I test drove one the other night, it was quite cold out and the salesman just handed over the keys(nice guy) to my bro and I to take it for a spin....Speed wise, all I can say is WOW ....ride/comfort/handling, all amazing; soo much more refined than the SN95's. My dream car has always been a Mustang GT, and I thought I loved the New Edge's...But I am seriously still in shock of how much the car offered over the older body style/any car I have ever been in

But that is for me, it could be a completely different experience with you; you have to figure that one out for yourself. Either way, I wish the best of luck to the both of us; hopefully we will both be sharing our stang experiences on here in the not to distant future....wow, I talk to much....and actually the dealership is calling right now I am typing this; hope its good news!! peasce bro!!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:16 PM
dbirdrm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clentonz
Not trying to seem like a *** or anything; or saying what you say, is not true...and I apologize if it comes off that way....But, I think those two options are not the best way to go for a 17 year old male as his first car....

Putting a supercharger on a car takes a lot more knowledge of cars in general, than for example putting on a CAI, etc. I don't know you, and you could probably put one on blindfolded(I know I couldn't); but I doubt the OP has that kind of knowledge. I mean, it sounds awesome..."just throw a supercharger on, and you will be just as fast, if not faster than a GT"..But than you have to factor in the negatives of doing this...

-It will most likely void any warranty on the car, and a V6 + supercharger = no money(for him) for any random problems/breaks that could happen.

-It will reduce his reliability...I know this can be argued both ways, but imo, a stock 06 stang(with maybe some appearance mods) is just not going to be as reliable as a supercharged/any modified stangs. And as mention above, if anything were to go wrong; he wouldn't have much $$$ to fix it.

-Gas mileage, which is not bad at all right now ; but it will go back up....Wish it wouldn't, I'm loving this!

-I think the OP was looking for more of "appearance" mods than go fast mods, if he got a V6. IMO, I just think that putting a supercharger on is going to take A LOT more general car/mechanical knowledge, patience, "off the road time", etc. than the avg. 17 possess/can handle....

And with the old school muscle car option, which also sounds good....Is going to have the same problems as above, plus a worse ride, more reliability issues, lack of "modern amenities", etc.

But again, this is only my opinion, and I do not mean anything by it at all; I just think that there are better options for this specific situation/person/first car/etc. But, if these were options for a 30+ year old mechanic/whoever with a beater to drive around while the car is being worked on/if anything goes wrong, had plenty of knowledge and time on his hands, etc. than I would be right there with you backing you up Sorry, this sounds really mean, please take no offense to it; I hope you don't take it that way...

dbirdrm, I think that you should defiantly wait for/do whatever it takes, for a GT. You mentioned that you haven't even got your license yet, have you ever driven/been in a S197; V6 or GT? If you have than great, if not...I HIGHLY suggest it; after you test drive each one....you will defiantly have your choice

IMO, usually I would be preaching, "your to young, you will get in a wreck and get hurt, etc"....But I'm not your mother; that's her job. Anyone, 16 or 50, can get in a wreck in any car; regardless of hp.....All I'm saying is, whatever car you get, please respect it; all it takes is one slip up.....

On a lighter note, I am in a very similar situation as yourself...I have about $13k-14k to spend, my car just took a dump on me; and I am searching as we speak for a 05-06' GT 5spd. I test drove one the other night, it was quite cold out and the salesman just handed over the keys(nice guy) to my bro and I to take it for a spin....Speed wise, all I can say is WOW ....ride/comfort/handling, all amazing; soo much more refined than the SN95's. My dream car has always been a Mustang GT, and I thought I loved the New Edge's...But I am seriously still in shock of how much the car offered over the older body style/any car I have ever been in

But that is for me, it could be a completely different experience with you; you have to figure that one out for yourself. Either way, I wish the best of luck to the both of us; hopefully we will both be sharing our stang experiences on here in the not to distant future....wow, I talk to much....and actually the dealership is calling right now I am typing this; hope its good news!! peasce bro!!

good points i now some things about a car, but definately not alot, also i would not consider putting a s/c in a v6. I have been in a GT but have never driven soon, ill probally test drive both. But im still stuck just because well if i had to wait to get the GT it would kinda suck, u no telling all my friends im gettin a stang!! then my b-day roles around and i dont even have a car, that would kinda suck. Also i really do like the "gt-500" conversion body kits people have done on this site, they look awsome and i want to do that to my stang, if i get a GT i cant right away a v6 i can. Right now im really on the fence cause im planning on keeping this car for a while until im out of college probally and i knwo if i get a v6 ill do all the mods i want and at the end of the day its still not a GT but if i wait a little get the GT keep it stock for a while in about a year or two i can have one of the best cars on the road after i mod it. Idk i still have some time to think so i dont need to make up my mind at this very moment,but i would feel alot better if i knew.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:14 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

If you can swing it I think you would enjoy a GT later. I have a feeling if you got a v6 now you would want a GT when you are in college but you wont be able to afford it (college kids are usually poor) Just my advice, nothing to do with responsibility or anything just speaking about the facts of the matter.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:10 AM
thenatural
2nd Gear Member

It would be a poor decision to buy a V6 and put 6k into mods right away... Try to think more open and not be dead on spending 14k. Im 16 myself with a V6 PP Mustang... If you buy it for 8k and put double what it is worth in it, the resale will not be great at all. Your best bet would be to get a GT but it appears also that your parents are not helping much and I would be afraid having so much debt owning a V8... Costs are a little more (gas, INSURANCE, etc) Your options seem odd considering you are looking at a V6 mustang with 50k miles for 8k or a GT. IMO be careful what you spend. The one thing I almost look back on is how I thought I got a really good deal last June on my car but now I can get a GT for the same price. Good luck with your decision, either way you will be happy!
Old 01-17-2009, 01:50 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

get a v6. I love passing sixers in my gt thinking man, that must suck...
Id prefer to keep that feeling alive.

Its just a matter of show vs go.
Get the gt and you buy mods very slowly like i am.
get the v6 and look good but slower and not as fun.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:06 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Here's a question: Why do you want to be saddled with high insurance, and blowing that $14k on a car, especially at 17?

Here's a third option I would think would make more sense: Buy a decent Fox body, keep the rest of the money in the bank, you'll have cheaper insurance, less burden on you. Then focus on other things.

When I was 17, (back in 1985), I had a '72 'Cuda. It cost me $1,500 bucks, and insurance in my name was $800 bucks a year.( Yes, things were cheaper then, but its just an example, and I was also making 5 bucks/hr after school.) Yeah it was just an old car, and not an '85 GT, or an IROC-Z, Which were the best out at the time, but it was still considered cool, and it didn't cost me much, and I wasn't worried about leaving it anywhere, or getting a scratch on it. (I wish I still had it now though!)

BUT, you're gonna do what you're gonna do, so I'd go with the GT. I've known a few people, and have heard countless stories about people that settled for the V6, and later traded it in or re-sold it and bought what they really wanted in the first place which was the GT
Old 01-17-2009, 09:51 AM
03svtcobra12
3rd Gear Member

dont get a sixer, you wont be satisfied. i had a 67 with a 302 and loved it, had to get rid of her and got talked into getting a sixer, at 17, havnt been happy or satisfied with the performance, traded er in or a 03 cobra, now im happy as hell GET THE GT ITS WORTH IT

Quick Reply: What car to get?NEED HELP!!