Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! Ice on inside of car!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 09:04 PM
flyinfunnyguy16
2nd Gear Member

Default help! Ice on inside of car!

So I have a 09 GT with the glass roof, and maybe my question is geared at those with that option. It is about 18 degrees here and I havent driven the car in maybe 4 or 5 days. I go out tonight to get into it, and all the windows are frozen over, from the inside! All the windows are rolled up, and I made sure that the doors were all closed solid before getting out of the car last time. I mean, is this usual?? The front window did not defrost for about 15 minutes or so, and the roof still has ice on it, after about 3 min of driving. Now, I know what condensation is, and I understand there will be some, whatever, but I mean, I rubbed my hand across the window to see if it would wipe off, and it was ice! Am I just being overly paranoid or is this something I should check into sooner than later???
Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 PM
atomicpunk
1st Gear Member

You have a leak in your car somewhere, got to find where the water is getting in. I had a convertable before my Mustang and when it got wet inside it did the same thing when temperature dropped. Never had ice in the car but had bad condensation on inside of the windows that would take forever to clear with the defroster on high.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:18 AM
cdutchess78

see,i have an 09 as well and was digging that option but that was one of the fears i had.anyways,back on point,since its still under warranty and you shouldnt have to pay out of pocket,take it to the dealer and give them a big " WTF!" they should help out.best of luck!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:33 AM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

I bet its probably the seal of the glass roof leaking. Since this is the first year ford's doing those, They may not have completely figured it out yet
Old 01-17-2009, 11:08 AM
eslhockey92g
2nd Gear Member

Is there snow on the ground? If so it may be from not kicking your shoes off before you get in. I have noticed people who don't kick of there feet the snow melts off their shoes evaporates while driving from the heat of the car and freezes to the glass. I always kick my feet of and never had a problem. My buddy doesn't and you could make a damn snow ball from the ice on the floor mats and ice inside on the glass in his car.

I don't have a glass roof so i don't know anything how good/bad they are sealed
Old 01-17-2009, 11:22 AM
flyinfunnyguy16
2nd Gear Member

Nope no snow! Off to the dealership I believe
Old 01-17-2009, 11:46 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Check for the underdash water dispensor option some
of us got and didnt want.
Is the passengers side carpet or carget pad wet
or showing any signs of molding or water damage?
Check under the passenger side carpet and pad
for rust damage as well. You have way too much
moisture INSIDE your stang and its coming from somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails help! Ice on inside of car!-cdcglassback.jpg  
Old 01-17-2009, 03:14 PM
flyinfunnyguy16
2nd Gear Member

Since its so clod here I cant really tell, but it feels kinda of moist. Its not soaking or anything, but we havent had rain or anything here in a while either, nor do I check that spot if there is rain. What the hell do I do if there is water there??? And has anyone had the same problem with a brand new car? Could it be something with a sealant issue??
Old 01-17-2009, 03:36 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by flyinfunnyguy16
Since its so cold here I cant really tell, but it feels kinda of moist. Its not soaking or anything, but we havent had rain or anything here in a while either, nor do I check that spot if there is rain. What the hell do I do if there is water there??? And has anyone had the same problem with a brand new car? Could it be something with a sealant issue??
There is a TSB out on it. Its a combination of a few things.
Clogged cowl vent drains, misplaced unsealed firewall wiring
gromets, faulty seal sealer caulking guns spitting air pockets
instead of a soild bead of sealant, ect.
Its a big deal around here.
Search 'WATER LEAK' in the S197 area.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ater-leak.html
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...k-problem.html
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...emergency.html
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ell-still.html
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ne-answer.html

Last edited by 157dB; 01-17-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:31 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

+1 on water leak. Good luck...your passenger carpeting and foam underneath it are probably frozen solid. Something to try: remove the access panel on the passenger side kick panel (on the right side of the foot well, forward of the passenger door). Look for ice/water/rust on anything metal that's visible there. Also try to reach down to the edge of the carpet/foam material as it curls up from the floor. The foam in particular should have some spongy quality to it; if everything feels completely stiff, chances are it's been wet and frozen...not good.

Be advised that the TSB to my knowledge doesn't cover all of the possible entry points. Many folks on here have taken their car to the dealership to follow the TSB, and still had a leaky car afterward. Just make sure they've completely fixed your problem; don't assume it's fixed.

Good luck...

Quick Reply: help! Ice on inside of car!